Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Introduction Thought I'd say hello!

amirelt

Lurker
Hey everyone,

I've started my Bachelor of Nursing this year at USYD. I want to take a stab at applying for medicine. It'll be my first time ever taking the UCAT this year. I want to keep on trying undergraduate as well as postgraduate and any tips would be great as I have little idea in what is involved in the process of applying etc.

Prior to this, I've completed a Bachelor of Business and I've worked 3 years in Finance. I realised I didn't enjoy working in a corporate environment and wanted a change.

Thanks for reading!
Amirelt

amirelt

Lurker
Thanks for the link to the thread :)

No I've never sat the GAMSAT before, I haven't looked into it either. I had the impression that UCAT would be easier than GAMSAT considering I did my HSC a long time ago in 2009 and although I studied physics and chem, I didn't study bio. My marks from my BBus degree were at a PASS level. I hope that by starting a new degree I'll have a new chance at scoring a better GPA/WAM to be competitive.

What would you recommend? Would it be easier for someone in my circumstances to go for GAMSAT or UCAT? or both? :)

Sherlock

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
You're asking someone who did terribly in the UMAT and managed to get entry through graduate pathway haha!

I'd encourage you to have a look into GAMSAT. While having a bit of understanding of the sciences may be beneficial for section 3, the exam over the years has had significant shift from purely the science content to more reasoning and problem solving.

UCAT very may well end up being the easier exam for you, but never hurts to consider both if you are in a position to do so. Graduate medicine is a 4 year program, which you may find to be a bit more appealing as well. There is plethora of information about graduate entry at PagingDr which is primarily for graduate entrants and doctors, if you are interested.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Thanks for the link to the thread :)

No I've never sat the GAMSAT before, I haven't looked into it either. I had the impression that UCAT would be easier than GAMSAT considering I did my HSC a long time ago in 2009 and although I studied physics and chem, I didn't study bio. My marks from my BBus degree were at a PASS level. I hope that by starting a new degree I'll have a new chance at scoring a better GPA/WAM to be competitive.

What would you recommend? Would it be easier for someone in my circumstances to go for GAMSAT or UCAT? or both? :)

If your BBus is only a pass GPA, then it won't be competitive for graduate entry and there's not really any point doing GAMSAT yet (except for familiarity, but that's an expensive way to get experience, haha!). By starting BNurs, you can use your new GPA to try for non-standard entry via UCAT as you've indicated is your intention, which you can obviously do straight away, which is the bonus of the non-standard route. For graduate entry, you'll need to complete your full BNurs, whereas a single year of it will do for non-standard for the most accessible unis (WSU and JMP).

More info. on non-standard entry is here: Non-standard Medicine Entry

Those threads you've been linked are probably more appropriate places for any additional questions you might have once you've done some researching.

Good luck!