Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

NZ Students Studying in Australia

Emcee

GEMSAS covers 10 graduate schools and uses 50/60/70/80 for 4/5/6/7.

For the undergrad med/dent schools GPA calculation is done by the TACs (UAC QTAC VTAC etc). They generally use P/Cr/D/HD for 4/5/6/7 and ignore the numeric marks.

Since NZ unis use A-/A/A+ instead of P/Cr/D/HD we don't know for sure how the TACs calculate. It's only our speculation that they might use 50/65/75/85 for 4/5/6/7, since this is the grades scale used by the UAC/QTAC unis.

Thank you for clarifying, I've emailed the schools aswell as QTAC to make sure :D

arky200

Lurker
Hello, just wondering about all students who studied NCEA in New Zealand and are studying at an Australian Uni now! How many excellence credits did you get, and specifically in which subjects etc to get your ATAR? I'm quite confused on how ATAR will be calculated from NCEA (I heard that they take the best 90 credits from 5 subjects and externals are heavily weighted?). Anyhow, thank you so much for your help! :) Really appreciate it :D

SnowyOwl

Lurker
Hello, I am a year 13 student living in NZ. I really want to hear other people’s opinion.
Initially, I really wanted to go to Auckland uni Med school as i have my whole families and friends here. However, going to Biomed course is quite scary knowing I will have only one chance as I cannot apply for another universities. If I fail next year, then that is it. In NZ, the premed entries are pretty much open as long as minimum points are met, then you are in, meaning need to aiming at high ATAR score - in my case it is not good as my high scores do not give me any advantages. I have worked hard throughout the high school years and managed to maintain a high grade But it won’t be used to med school entrance unlike Australian uni. If i go to Auckland uni, there is also a possibility to fail as we can apply once at the same time, which I think is quite risky. If my Ucat score is competitive enough, do you guys think that it is better for me to apply for a few med schools at different Australian uni or shall I just go to Auckland uni premed course near my family trying to get in the Med school at Auckland uni? I really wish to hear from other people’s opinions.

Correction in my previous post: I meant no need to aim at getting a high ATAR/high school score. Sorry I was in a hurry while typing and I am not sure how to edit my posting.

Fili

Dentist 🦷
Correction in my previous post: I meant no need to aim at getting a high ATAR/high school score. Sorry I was in a hurry while typing and I am not sure how to edit my posting.

I mean it doesn't hurt to apply for Australian universities. I think just apply there and only really decide if you want to go to Australia or NZ once you have an offer for Australia.

I would say entrance to Auckland Med is hard, but so is entrance to any med school. But if you don't get in through first year, you could always do a Bachelor's and re-apply.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Hello, I am a year 13 student living in NZ. I really want to hear other people’s opinion.
Initially, I really wanted to go to Auckland uni Med school as i have my whole families and friends here. However, going to Biomed course is quite scary knowing I will have only one chance as I cannot apply for another universities. If I fail next year, then that is it. In NZ, the premed entries are pretty much open as long as minimum points are met, then you are in, meaning need to aiming at high ATAR score - in my case it is not good as my high scores do not give me any advantages. I have worked hard throughout the high school years and managed to maintain a high grade But it won’t be used to med school entrance unlike Australian uni. If i go to Auckland uni, there is also a possibility to fail as we can apply once at the same time, which I think is quite risky. If my Ucat score is competitive enough, do you guys think that it is better for me to apply for a few med schools at different Australian uni or shall I just go to Auckland uni premed course near my family trying to get in the Med school at Auckland uni? I really wish to hear from other people’s opinions.

I'm unsure of your key priorities at this stage in your life, and it's fine if you aren't either - I certainly wasn't at your age - but if I were in your position, I'd aim for entry at a NZ university. If you miss out after one year, it's not much harm done, and you can still apply to quite a number of Australian universities as a non-standard entry applicant (doesn't require a completed degree) or a graduate entry applicant (requires a completed degree) further down the line if you so desire. You could do whatever degree you liked in NZ (preferably one that sets you up for your desired back-up career if you don't get into medicine) and you'd still be eligible for any of the non-standard or graduate entry Australian universities. I will inform you, though, that if your long-term goal is to work as a doctor in NZ, being a graduate of a medical degree from a NZ university is obviously going to make things much easier for you than if you graduate in Australia.

As Fili mentions above, at this stage you shouldn't feel the need to be locked into a particular pathway. Do your best to achieve well at school for the time being to keep your options open, but don't feel as if this is your be-all-and-end-all decision/chance to get into medicine, as it definitely isn't.

Good luck and enjoy your last year of high school :)

Cathay

🚂Train Driver🚆
Emeritus Staff
Initially, I really wanted to go to Auckland uni Med school as i have my whole families and friends here. However, going to Biomed course is quite scary knowing I will have only one chance as I cannot apply for another universities. If I fail next year, then that is it. In NZ, the premed entries are pretty much open as long as minimum points are met, then you are in, meaning need to aiming at high ATAR score - in my case it is not good as my high scores do not give me any advantages. I have worked hard throughout the high school years and managed to maintain a high grade But it won’t be used to med school entrance unlike Australian uni. If i go to Auckland uni, there is also a possibility to fail as we can apply once at the same time, which I think is quite risky.
Yes, that's the equalizer for NZ, that entry to med school is by first year grades, rather than by high school grades.

I get what you're saying re feeling like a waste of effort to have good high school grades only for them not to matter, but I think there are also practical considerations: 1) if you go and study medicine in Australia, assuming you're not also an Australian citizen, you won't be eligible for their version of the student loan so you will have to pay (domestic) course fees as well as the cost of living in Australia, 2) if you want to live and work in NZ after your medical degree, then going to a NZ med school will make things easier.

I'm not entirely convinced that Auckland first-year programme is any riskier than the high school students in Australia hoping for good ATAR... If you don't get in via first year, then (as Crow pointed out above) you can still apply to Australia as a non-standard, and failing that, you can then do a degree in NZ and then apply to Auckland, Otago, AND Australia for graduate entry.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Do all New Zealand citizens qualify for a CSP?

A CSP for an Australian Medical school? Yes. ETA: though who knows what things will look like in 2.5 years time.

You keep saying you've done your research, but then asking questions that would suggest otherwise.

E_N

A CSP for an Australian Medical school? Yes. ETA: though who knows what things will look like in 2.5 years time.

You keep saying you've done your research, but then asking questions that would suggest otherwise.
Yes, I thought this was the case. However, I have heard people saying that even some students from NZ do not get the full benefits of an AU student when studying in medical school. I just wanted to clarify - I have done research on this topic.

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
They can under special conditions listed here:

Circles

to NZ uni students who applied to med/dent in aus, when did you guys upload your official academic transcripts? I only have my First year 2019 grades and sem 1 2020 grades so I was thinking of waiting until my sem 2 grades are released in November since it costs $30 to request and aus unis might ask for my second sem as well when they are released? My only worry is that if I wait, I might miss out on interview offers cos my GPA won't be considered. Idrk how offers work or if NZ students get different offer dates but Rn I'm planning to request and upload my transcript ASAP - just wanted to check what u guys did

A1

Rookie Doc
to NZ uni students who applied to med/dent in aus, when did you guys upload your official academic transcripts? I only have my First year 2019 grades and sem 1 2020 grades so I was thinking of waiting until my sem 2 grades are released in November since it costs $30 to request and aus unis might ask for my second sem as well when they are released? My only worry is that if I wait, I might miss out on interview offers cos my GPA won't be considered. Idrk how offers work or if NZ students get different offer dates but Rn I'm planning to request and upload my transcript ASAP - just wanted to check what u guys did

You're in 2nd year so this is not GEMSAS. For Aus students I'm fairly sure the TACs don't require applicants to upload transcripts, they will get your results directly from the uni you study at. Should be the same for NZ applicants.

The TACs will do multiple rounds of GPA update, at least once using your 3 semesters' results if needed for interview selection then once more early January to include your latest semester for place offers.

Circles

You're in 2nd year so this is not GEMSAS. For Aus students I'm fairly sure the TACs don't require applicants to upload transcripts, they will get your results directly from the uni you study at. Should be the same for NZ applicants.

The TACs will do multiple rounds of GPA update, at least once using your 3 semesters' results if needed for interview selection then once more early January to include your latest semester for place offers.

thank you I have requested for my academic transcript as i also got an email from UAC saying i need to upload it asap. Do you think i will still need to request another official transcript at the end of the year for my sem 2 grades? kinda hoping i don't have to lol

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
thank you I have requested for my academic transcript as i also got an email from UAC saying i need to upload it asap. Do you think i will still need to request another official transcript at the end of the year for my sem 2 grades? kinda hoping i don't have to lol

Given UAC have requested it, it might be best to contact them directly and check? I found them quite helpful when I needed to speak with them during my own application cycle.

jhsane

Hi! I'm a NZ student that's interested in doing medicine in Australia - I'd like to practice and be a doctor there and my mum also been offered promotions in Aus so my family would be happy for me to go : )
I'm doing CIE A levels and according to conversion tables I've seen I should be able to get a pretty high ATAR with 4 A*s...? fingers crossed.
I sat the UCAT this year round and I got 3370 so I'm hoping I would be competitive for interview offers but I'm concerned over whether I'd be disadvantaged in my chances applying to any unis as a NZ student because of the later interview rounds? Would I be disadvantaged with placements and internships etc after starting medical school in Australia?
I was also wondering if anyone could explain to me how CSPs work and what other potential concerns and problems I need to be aware of in the application process.....

Thanks : ) I'm still new to the forum and didn't know where to address my concerns so hopefully someone can help me out!

A1

Rookie Doc
I was also wondering if anyone could explain to me how CSPs work
Two counterparts of CSP are int'l full-fee (~$65k/year) and domestic full-fee (~$35k/year). CSP places are subsidised by the Aus gov so med students pay only $11k/year. Then Aus students can defer this $11k/year to a HECS loan so they don't have to pay upfront, will pay back in future from their salary.

As a NZ student you can get CSP but not HECS loan, you'll need to pay $11k/year out of pocket.

I'm concerned over whether I'd be disadvantaged in my chances applying to any unis as a NZ student because of the later interview rounds?
We strongly believe any med schools that hold a separate interview round later (for interstate + NZ applicants) will set aside a proportionate number of place offers for them.

Would I be disadvantaged with placements and internships etc after starting medical school in Australia?
You will be treated 100% the same as an Aus graduate from the same med school.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hi! I'm a NZ student that's interested in doing medicine in Australia - I'd like to practice and be a doctor there and my mum also been offered promotions in Aus so my family would be happy for me to go : )
I'm doing CIE A levels and according to conversion tables I've seen I should be able to get a pretty high ATAR with 4 A*s...? fingers crossed.
I sat the UCAT this year round and I got 3370 so I'm hoping I would be competitive for interview offers but I'm concerned over whether I'd be disadvantaged in my chances applying to any unis as a NZ student because of the later interview rounds? Would I be disadvantaged with placements and internships etc after starting medical school in Australia?
I was also wondering if anyone could explain to me how CSPs work and what other potential concerns and problems I need to be aware of in the application process.....

Thanks : ) I'm still new to the forum and didn't know where to address my concerns so hopefully someone can help me out!
The one other disadvantage (in addition to not access to HECS) is that you’re also not eligible for BMPs which make up almost 28% of all domestic places in Aus, so you’re competing for a smaller pool of places. Not a huge issue, but just something to be aware of.

jhsane

Two counterparts of CSP are int'l full-fee (~$65k/year) and domestic full-fee (~$35k/year). CSP places are subsidised by the Aus gov so med students pay only $11k/year. Then Aus students can defer this $11k/year to a HECS loan so they don't have to pay upfront, will pay back in future from their salary.

As a NZ student you can get CSP but not HECS loan, you'll need to pay $11k/year out of pocket.

We strongly believe any med schools that hold a separate interview round later (for interstate + NZ applicants) will set aside a proportionate number of place offers for them.

You will be treated 100% the same as an Aus graduate from the same med school.
Thank you for the response A1! Helps a lot
The one other disadvantage (in addition to not access to HECS) is that you’re also not eligible for BMPs which make up almost 28% of all domestic places in Aus, so you’re competing for a smaller pool of places. Not a huge issue, but just something to be aware of.
Thanks LMG! I didn't know that... :'))

Nanokshi

Lurker
Hi everyone,
I was wondering if indicating an interest in BMP for the Newcastle uni (JMP) application necessarily offers any advantage (for interview consideration) over other applicants?

Sorry if this wasn't the correct place to post this question, but since BMPs were mentioned in an earlier post, I thought that I might put my question here

Last edited by a moderator: