Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UoA GPA Calculations for Graduate Entry

acbard9

Auckland MBChB
With regards to Auckland's new 2021 criteria, does anybody know if they'll still keep the same rules? e.g. not counting Stage 1 papers completed in the summer?

Hollyw28

BSc Biomed, PGDip Biomed, PGDip HSc, MBiomedSc
I went to Grafton and asked about this. Here's what they said:
- They'll be taking the GPA of the entire degree for 2021 entry onwards
- If a Bachelor's has been done in longer than 3 years, (for example four years) then they will still take the entire GPA (i.e. not the best three years, all of them)
- If a Bachelor's has been done in longer than 3 years, you need to provide proof from your faculty (e.g. faculty of science for physiology students) that you couldn't have done it in any less time. If you could have possibly done it in less time then they won't use the bachelor's for the calculation (this needs further clarification because it sounds dumb to write off an entire degree but this is what the person told me)
- Just as an example for the above, if you complete a Bachelors over 5 years but could've actually done it over 4 years because you did a bunch of other papers for interest, then you haven't done it in the smallest amount of time possible.
- Bachelor's could take longer for reasons such as changing majors etc. For example I changed my major 4 times in my degree so it ended up taking me 4 years.
- If you do a PGDip in 2020 then they will take only that year for your GPA calculation

acbard9

Auckland MBChB
Just for anyone who is interested in the case of doing Honours.

I believe that only BEng(Hons) and LLB(Hons) are the only Hons degrees that are built in to the undergrad degree, so it sounds like they will only take the Honours year GPA for any other Honours (e.g. BSc(Hons) or BA(Hons) etc.)

Capture.PNG

ETA: I also asked about whether previous rules are being kept, and what would happen if you took a gap semester. The person could not yet give me an answer for either question.

acbard9

Auckland MBChB
I recommend emailing them.

Based on my understanding, I would say that the GPA might come out of just the 1-year Masters.

Please do give us a correction/confirmation when they get back to you :)

BWelch

Hi there, is there any chance anyone could tell me exactly how the Auckland graduate GPA is calculated? Is there a sample spreadsheet anywhere on their website? I've done an Honours degree.

014phalo

Hi there, is there any chance anyone could tell me exactly how the Auckland graduate GPA is calculated? Is there a sample spreadsheet anywhere on their website? I've done an Honours degree.
I believe it's simply the average of your last 3 years of full time study for interview consideration, and then the average of the last 2 years of full time study for placement consideration following the interviews. This has changed for 2021 intake.

Fili

Dentist 🦷

Are you from Otago or Auckland? It's the average of your best 120 points for each year for the last 2 years of your degree.

For Otago, it'll be the best 126 since they don't split the points since each papers is usually 18 points.

Diglit

Lurker
Hi all, I'm in my final year of studying biomed at University of Auckland - applying for medicine graduate entry here. I was just wondering what the "standard" GPA was out of the people who got accepted through grad entry (for their last two years).
Realistically speaking, I think 7.5 will be my GPA for the last two years of my degree but I'm starting to get extremely worried that this might not be a "competitive" score from looking at other threads with people's GPAs well over 8.

Thank you, all replies would be greatly appreciated :)

Hi, I was wondering if you got in?

Sebzy

I wonder how much graduate GPA cut offs will drop for the inclusion of an entire degree. Mine has gone from 8.3 to 7.4 with the inclusion of my entire degree. I suppose it wouldn't be wise to compare with previous years as the data isn't comparable?

Does anyone know how the GPA for UoO was calculated prior to the recent change this year out of interest?

Fili

Dentist 🦷
Do you know what UoO used pre 2020??
Pre-2020, UoO used all 3 years where the first year was weighted 0.5, the second year 1.0 and third year 1.5.
But yeah, there's no point pondering too much about how UoA will actually calculate their cumulative GPA. It's best to not worry about it at all and just try your best.

Asye

Hi, just wondering if A is the highest grade you can get in a paper, would the admissions faculty convert that into an A+ when weighing the GPA?

Fili

Dentist 🦷
Hi, just wondering if A is the highest grade you can get in a paper, would the admissions faculty convert that into an A+ when weighing the GPA?

Doubt it. Imho they must have some way of separating those that get A+ and A without the grades boost so when it comes to admissions. They'll probably just use the grades without the GPA increase since someone who would've gotten A+ without the grades boost shouldn't be the same as someone who only got A+ with the boost.

John_Cena

Doubt it. Imho they must have some way of separating those that get A+ and A without the grades boost so when it comes to admissions. They'll probably just use the grades without the GPA increase since someone who would've gotten A+ without the grades boost shouldn't be the same as someone who only got A+ with the boost.

I am pretty sure they are using the boosted version, since that's the grade going on the academic transcript. Only thing they said was that they will "Final course grades will be used for selection purposes and final ranking i.e. if you have opted to have a ‘Pass’ grade recorded on your transcript (for those whose final grades falls between C- and C+), the actual course grade will be used." If it applies to FY, I am pretty sure it applies to grad students

Last edited: