Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UCAT: Situational Judgement

sevun

1593665570228.png
Hi guys, I was wondering whether the fact that other passengers on the train might be able to read the notes before they hold onto them might not make this "a very appropriate thing to do".
1593665694157.png
Also whilst I can see why this would be a very appropriate thing to do since it addresses the breach of confidentiality, it does not change the fact the papers are still on the train, out for the world to see?

Thoughts on these two, please?

Fili

Dentist 🦷
View attachment 3598
Hi guys, I was wondering whether the fact that other passengers on the train might be able to read the notes before they hold onto them might not make this "a very appropriate thing to do".
View attachment 3599
Also whilst I can see why this would be a very appropriate thing to do since it addresses the breach of confidentiality, it does not change the fact the papers are still on the train, out for the world to see?

Thoughts on these two, please?

The first is very appropriate since she's trying to fix the problem asap. I don't think there's any other way to minimize breach of confidentiality other than to call the bus company. Unless she can sprint like Usain Bolt and the bus stops driving with all its doors open.

The second is the same. Trying to fix the problem and letting supervisors know of her mistakes.

cocodreams

1593754161921.png
Could someone please explain the answer. I assume that it's appropriate because it's already been done and it is infront of the patient and receptionist? Is that why it's appropriate to let a higher authority know?

I am not sure when it is appropriate to apologise on someone's behalf. I think I may have seen sometimes it's inappropriate because it might undermine your colleague or it's not your responsibility to apologise?

Last edited by a moderator:

Fili

Dentist 🦷
View attachment 3610
I am not sure when it is appropriate to apologise on someone's behalf. I think I may have seen sometimes it's inappropriate because it might undermine your colleague or it's not your responsibility to apologise?

For the first one, I reckon you're spot on with the supervisor because everyone already knows what she's said.
For the second one, I would say it's appropriate since the receptionist is clearly upset but it's not ideal since you're not Chloe herself.

N

nb

View attachment 3610
I get what you are saying. Its only undermining if its someone senior to you. Eg. Senior doctor or your lecturer etc...

sevun

Could I please confirm that in most cases, asking for help from someone in a more senior role than yours is very appropriate, but reporting someone to a higher authority immediately is often very inappropriate/inappropriate but not awful since you are over-escalating the situation?

Fili

Dentist 🦷
Could I please confirm that in most cases, asking for help from someone in a more senior role than yours is very appropriate, but reporting someone to a higher authority immediately is often very inappropriate/inappropriate but not awful since you are over-escalating the situation?

Yup, you're spot on.

sevun

1593942643674.png
Does anyone else disagree with the explanation? Like you wouldn't tell a worried mum who approaches you in the street whether their son is okay because that breaches patient confidentiality? Is it different because the daughter is also a consultant doctor at the same hospital?

cocodreams

View attachment 3631
Does anyone else disagree with the explanation? Like you wouldn't tell a worried mum who approaches you in the street whether their son is okay because that breaches patient confidentiality? Is it different because the daughter is also a consultant doctor at the same hospital?
Yeah I am not sure to how much of an extent you can give information about the patient. But I would still put in the inappropriate side because you're still breaching patient confidentiality? Anyone else got a better explanation?

chinaski

View attachment 3631

Strictly speaking, you should not divulge any information to family and friends - however vague - without the consent of the patient first. The daughter's status as a consultant should not factor into it. Given that the news was good, you might argue that it is "inappropriate but not awful" to non-specifically say he's doing "okay" - but ethically speaking this is a slippery slope (ie what would you say if the news was bad?).

sevun

Hi there! I saw this post on the Post-UCAT discussion page and was seeking clarification for "Confidentiality of your friends when talking about red flags e.g. suicide, drug use, depression is of a LOWER priority to getting help (most appropriate action is usually to let someone else know). "

Could anyone elaborate on this? Is your friend admitting red flags or are you admitting red flags? If they tell you about a red flag they're experiencing, do you break their confidentiality by getting them help by talking to someone else?

garmonbozia

Membered Value
Valued Member
Hi there! I saw this post on the Post-UCAT discussion page and was seeking clarification for "Confidentiality of your friends when talking about red flags e.g. suicide, drug use, depression is of a LOWER priority to getting help (most appropriate action is usually to let someone else know). "

Could anyone elaborate on this? Is your friend admitting red flags or are you admitting red flags? If they tell you about a red flag they're experiencing, do you break their confidentiality by getting them help by talking to someone else?
I'm not sure what you mean by 'Is your friend admitting red flags or are you admitting red flags'. Yes, in such a situation you should get them help (which necessarily involves you breaking their confidentiality only to someone like a counselor or trusted adult).

sevun

I'm not sure what you mean by 'Is your friend admitting red flags or are you admitting red flags'. Yes, in such a situation you should get them help (which necessarily involves you breaking their confidentiality only to someone like a counselor or trusted adult).

Yep, sorry, I just didn't know who was confiding in who, but I think I'm talking aobut the former case, where someone confides in you about doing narcotics, is depressed, suicidal etc. Your answer applies anyway though aha, so all good.

Thanks for answering and your help!

BENCHA

Lurker
Does anyone know roughly how the SJT score gets converted into a and. I did my UCAT today and got in the mid 600s for that section, but can't find anything online about how that typically transfers into a band. More out of curiosity then anything else.

ucatboy

final year eek
Valued Member
Does anyone know roughly how the SJT score gets converted into a and. I did my UCAT today and got in the mid 600s for that section, but can't find anything online about how that typically transfers into a band. More out of curiosity then anything else.
Bands aren't employed in Australia, 590 was the mean last year so anything in the 600s is above average.

660+ = ~top 20%

cocodreams

1594253968553.png
Hello! Would this really be inappropriate but not awful? I just feel as if it's not solving anything and it is a bit rude :(

Reactions: nb

Fili

Dentist 🦷
View attachment 3688
Hello! Would this really be inappropriate but not awful? I just feel as if it's not solving anything and it is a bit rude :(

I think a "very appropriate thing to do" would be to like swear at Adele which would just ruin the project whereas the option for this question somewhat prevents Adele from making too many unhelpful contributions + allows others to make helpful contributions.

cocodreams

1594254473977.png
For this scenario, I choose appropriate but not ideal as I thought the first action (highlighted) was appropriate but the rest of it wasn't the best action. How do we approach these questions where one part is good/appropriate and the second part isn't optimal/inappropriate? Thank you :)

Reactions: 2xq

cocodreams

I think a "very appropriate thing to do" would be to like swear at Adele which would just ruin the project whereas the option for this question somewhat prevents Adele from making too many unhelpful contributions + allows others to make helpful contributions.
Maybe because it isn't escalating the situation and Adele isn't really aware of the intention hence it's not awful?