Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

JPM WSU/CSU JPM: WSU General Discussion and Questions

bigyikes

WSU MD II
Thank you! Yeah, I was just wondering since I would have lived in the area for a couple months short of 5 years.
If you're only a few months off, the WSU application website states that:

"applicants who currently live in one of the areas defined as Greater Western Sydney for at least five consecutive years immediately prior to commencing the Doctor of Medicine are eligible to be considered for these places"

That means that if you're shy of the 5 years right now, but you'll have lived 5 years consecutively by Jan/Feb 2021, you'll be considered a GWS applicant. Worth an inquiry to WSU admissions IMO if that's the case.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
If you're only a few months off, the WSU application website states that:

"applicants who currently live in one of the areas defined as Greater Western Sydney for at least five consecutive years immediately prior to commencing the Doctor of Medicine are eligible to be considered for these places"

That means that if you're shy of the 5 years right now, but you'll have lived 5 years consecutively by Jan/Feb 2021, you'll be considered a GWS applicant. Worth an inquiry to WSU admissions IMO if that's the case.

Yeah, first year undergrad Med generally starts last week of Feb (I think WSU has even been first week of March before), so make sure you calculate right up to that point!

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hi! Yes, I calculated up to Jan next year. So I'll be 2 months short of 5 years in January.

Oof, I reckon they’d let you count Feb as well, which could leave you one month short! Definitely contact them.

Does anyone know if WSU needs your ATAR estimate? And if so, if it has any bearing on interview offers? My ATAR estimate is currently just shy of their threshold (really hoping I get over the threshold lol)

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Does anyone know if WSU needs your ATAR estimate? And if so, if it has any bearing on interview offers? My ATAR estimate is currently just shy of their threshold (really hoping I get over the threshold lol)
No and no - ATARs are assessed between the interview and place offer stage (hypothetically this means a candidate could interview despite not meeting the ATAR hurdle and thus miss out on a place offer).

lasa

Hey, for non-standard applicants with previous degrees, does anyone know what system WSU uses to calculate GPA? I applied for a Qualifications Assessment from UAC which came back above the hurdle mark but was hoping someone could confirm that WSU uses the same UAC rating scale too? I feel like I read it somewhere but can't remember

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Hey, for non-standard applicants with previous degrees, does anyone know what system WSU uses to calculate GPA? I applied for a Qualifications Assessment from UAC which came back above the hurdle mark but was hoping someone could confirm that WSU uses the same UAC rating scale too? I feel like I read it somewhere but can't remember
To the best of my knowledge, if UAC has calculated your GPA above the hurdle, then you’ll be fine for WSU.

Some guy

UAC has a disclaimer that the QUAS is just an informal estimate, but my experience (sample size of one) is same as Crow's - WSU uses what UAC sends them.

In passing, last year someone from WSU Admissions was kind enough to confirm in writing what GPA they had received for me from UAC. If you're concerned about UAC interpretation of your GPA it would be worth asking WSU once applications have gone in.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Does anyone know if WSU consider EAS?

Historically no (for Medicine anyway, probably yes for other courses). But I think someone posted a statement from JPM saying it would be considered this year, but we aren't sure in what way. I think??!! (I might be misremembering as my brain is pretty studyfried!) It might be worth looking back through a few pages of posts in the EAS thread to see if you can find it (oh, I hope I'm not sending on you a wild goose chase!) or trying a google search

LOL.

Omg

Maybe the post was about JMP, not JPM, as I just found this when I googled (but when I click on the link I can't find an expanded explanation).

1604040429990.png

No and no - ATARs are assessed between the interview and place offer stage (hypothetically this means a candidate could interview despite not meeting the ATAR hurdle and thus miss out on a place offer).
How does JPM use atar is it just a threshold which you need to score above or is it used to rank you for offers?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
How does JPM use atar is it just a threshold which you need to score above or is it used to rank you for offers?

I don't think it has ever 100% been confirmed. WSU were traditionally very tight-lipped about their process, it remains to be seen whether JPM will be too.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
It’s a threshold. We’ve seen their official accreditation report which said offers were made based on 75% interview and 25% UCAT. However, this isn’t to say they’ve made changes to offer criteria since then.

Rkyer

It’s a threshold. We’ve seen their official accreditation report which said offers were made based on 75% interview and 25% UCAT. However, this isn’t to say they’ve made changes to offer criteria since then.
Do you have a link to that report? I always thought WSU was similar to JMP in that it's all on interview performance (with s1 UMAT previously used as a tiebreaker by the JMP).