Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Graduate Entry Medicine Advice Requests

A1

Rookie Doc
Thank you so much! I'm a bit confused as it said 'passed subjects will be ignored in GPA calculations' but does that mean instead subjects further than the last 3 years will be calculate?? For example if I did a 4 year degree and 2 subjects from my last year were passed from a non-graded pass system, will two subjects from the first year be calculated in the gpa instead to fill it up?

Reference > http://gemsas.edu.au/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/GEMSAS-GPA-guidelines_v2.pdf

"Ungraded subjects
A key degree may contain subjects that are assessed on a pass/fail basis. Typically, where these subjects have been passed, they will be included in the GPA year (i.e. their credits will count towards the year of study), but they will not affect the overall GPA. However, where these subjects comprise more than 37.5% of the GPA year, the GPA will be referred to the medical school for them to calculate a GPA."

So if you do a 4 year degree and 2 (out of 8) subjects from last year are ungraded, the Final Year GPA will be the total grade points of 6 subjects divided by 6. But the Final Year still comprises 8 subjects, you don't move 2 subjects from another year into it.

Note the number of ungraded can only be up to 37.5% = 3 out of 8 subjects in each year, otherwise it will be passed to the med school to decide.

AJ13

Hi, sorry if this question has already been answered, or belongs to a different topic. This is a long one so buckle yourself in.

I am in an interesting position. I have been studying at university for 4 years now, across 4 degrees. Because of this I have 80 units of ‘credit’ in my current degree (mainly 1st year subjects + 20 units of Potential electives).
Due to this I have enrolled into a combination of 1st and 2nd year subjects for this semester and was planning to do the same next semester.
As there is a chance I may end up taking the post grad route, I have considered looking into re taking a couple of 1st year courses purely to raise my GPA long term (as they are only credit scores). However upon reading through forum posts I have seen people mention that most post grad universities only look at the last 3 years of your degree when calculating your GPA. If this is the case there is no point in me re taking subjects that will not count towards my application (my current degree is 4 years).

I am sitting the UCAT this year and obviously hope that I can gain access into undergraduate medicine within the next couple of years, but wanted a bit of advice with regards to post grad.

Thanks for reading! I hope I have made some sense..

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Welcome to MSO! :)
However upon reading through forum posts I have seen people mention that most post grad universities only look at the last 3 years of your degree when calculating your GPA. If this is the case there is no point in me re taking subjects that will not count towards my application (my current degree is 4 years).
This is correct - your current plan won’t give you much benefit for graduate entry (and tbh, I don’t think the step between first and second/third year uni course difficulty is profound enough to warrant this course of action anyway).

AJ13

Welcome to MSO! :)
This is correct - your current plan won’t give you much benefit for graduate entry (and tbh, I don’t think the step between first and second/third year uni course difficulty is profound enough to warrant this course of action anyway).

Okay thanks for clarifying this for me.
One more thing, will the 2nd year subjects I am currently studying be included in my final year -2 FTE (even though this is technically my first year of study for this degree/4) ? How does previous credit work with regards to most recent 3 years of FT study?

Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Okay thanks for clarifying this for me.
One more thing, will the 2nd year subjects I am currently studying be included in my final year -2 FTE (even though this is technically my first year of study for this degree/4) ? How does previous credit work with regards to most recent 3 years of FT study?

Thanks again, I really appreciate it.
I recommend you read the GEMSAS guide if you haven’t already, as all of the rules regarding GPA calculation are outlined in there.

GPA is calculated based on the final 3 FTE years - this effectively means your final 24 units of study (or equivalent) will be used in the calculation (as 8 standard units = 1 full time equivalent heat of study). If the current second year units you’re taking are part of those final 24 units, then they’ll be included in the calculation.

Hi everyone, I am currently in my 3rd year of mechanical engineering at the University of Adelaide and will hopefully graduate at the end of next year. I am aiming for entry into postgraduate medicine at Flinders Uni after the completion of my course. My GPA for second year sits around 5 and I should be able to bump it up to >5.5 by the end of this year. I know the Flinder Uni admission guide suggests any gpa over 5.5 as competitive, however, how accurate is that? What would be a competitive GAMSAT score needed with this sort of GPA considering I am a rural candidate. Thanks in advance.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hi everyone, I am currently in my 3rd year of mechanical engineering at the University of Adelaide and will hopefully graduate at the end of next year. I am aiming for entry into postgraduate medicine at Flinders Uni after the completion of my course. My GPA for second year sits around 5 and I should be able to bump it up to >5.5 by the end of this year. I know the Flinder Uni admission guide suggests any gpa over 5.5 as competitive, however, how accurate is that? What would be a competitive GAMSAT score needed with this sort of GPA considering I am a rural candidate. Thanks in advance.

we are dedicated to undergraduate entry medicine here at MSO. Your best bet is to visit Paging Dr (dedicated to graduate entry Med) and look through their offer archives, where there will be heaps of info available to you.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Welcome to MSO!

We do have a focus on undergraduate entry here but luckily also have several members who went through the graduate entry pathway!

Flinders is very, very difficult to gain entry at if you aren’t doing your undergraduate health degree at Flinders - this is because the majority of their places are offered to graduates of their own uni.

You’d need an exceptional GAMSAT (though the cutoff lowered a fair bit last year, 76 was required to land an interview in previous years) and interview to have a shot with a GPA of 5.5.

Realistically in your position I think gaining a place at Flinders is unlikely. I’d recommend casting your net a bit wider and applying to unis all over the country to give yourself a better chance - but it will be tough going for you with your current GPA.

I’d suggest looking into non-standard entry at WSU/JMP/Curtin to increase your chances of getting into med somewhere, if you’re willing to look outside of SA.

Good luck :)

ivy98

Lurker
Hi everyone,

Do GEMSAS universities accept double degrees for entry into graduate medicine?

I have graduated with a 6.0 GPA in the last three years of my double degree and am concerned about whether it will even be accepted!

Thank you in advance.

TKAO

oowah!
Valued Member
Hi everyone,

I have graduated with a 6.0 GPA in the last three years of my double degree and am concerned about whether it will even be accepted!

Thank you in advance.
Best to email GEMSAS directly or go to pagingdr for more in depth gamsat questions but when you say a double degree - do you mean that you did two majors or what? As far as I know double degrees aren't really a huge 'thing'

ivy98

Lurker
Best to email GEMSAS directly or go to pagingdr for more in depth gamsat questions but when you say a double degree - do you mean that you did two majors or what? As far as I know double degrees aren't really a huge 'thing'

Thank you for your reply.

Yes that's right, I've majored in both biomedical engineering and computer science.

I'll head over to pagingdr right now, thanks.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Hi everyone,

Thank you in advance.
Yes, it’ll be accepted and they will use your most recent 3 FTE years of study to calculate your GPA.

Hey guys, i'm in my final year of my BSc at Otago uni in NZ, and i'm wondering, realistically, if I could hope to get into post grad med in Australia. My unweighted GPA at the moment is at a 6 (75%) and i'm still yet to get my grades for all my final year papers. If my GPA isn't high enough, what would you suggest I do in order to give myself a better chance of getting into med? I have no idea what GPA or GAMSAT score would be high enough to get in at this stage, so if anyone could provide some insight that would be really appreciated!

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Hey guys, i'm in my final year of my BSc at Otago uni in NZ, and i'm wondering, realistically, if I could hope to get into post grad med in Australia. My unweighted GPA at the moment is at a 6 (75%) and i'm still yet to get my grades for all my final year papers. If my GPA isn't high enough, what would you suggest I do in order to give myself a better chance of getting into med? I have no idea what GPA or GAMSAT score would be high enough to get in at this stage, so if anyone could provide some insight that would be really appreciated!
Generally a combo score of around 1.63+ is competitive for a non-rural applicant at a non-portfolio school - the combo is calculated by GPA/7 + GAMSAT/100. I assume you've been on the GEMSAS website and calculated your GPA of 6 there? The conversion from NZ to Aus GPA is usually quite generous so that should work in your favour.

Realistically, you'd need a very solid GAMSAT score (68+) to get yourself an interview at USYD (GPA is a hurdle requirement only there) or UQ (GPA isn't considered until the offers stage) if your GPA is at 6 out of 7. Alternatively, if you have a very high quality portfolio and GAMSAT score, then a GPA of 6 might be enough for an interview at a portfolio school.

You should also look into sitting UCAT and applying for the non-standard entry schools to increase your chances - a couple of these will only look at UCAT score to determine interview eligibility, and then interview +/- UCAT at the place offers stage (considering GPA as a hurdle only) so that is also an option potentially.

whatup245

i'm doing a 3 year degree (1st year rn) and i've been researching the gamsat and wat its mainly about. technically can't i do the GAMSAT in septemeber this year for a 2022 application 2023 entry? i always thought it was in ur penult year haha. if so, is it worth blowing 500$ for a practice-run. I'll have about two weeks practice lol

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
i'm doing a 3 year degree (1st year rn) and i've been researching the gamsat and wat its mainly about. technically can't i do the GAMSAT in septemeber this year for a 2022 application 2023 entry? i always thought it was in ur penult year haha. if so, is it worth blowing 500$ for a practice-run. I'll have about two weeks practice lol
Yes, you can do that. Acer summarises the test rounds that can be used for each application round on their website (Here's the link: Currency of results | Graduate Medical School Admissions Test | GAMSAT | ACER ). Nobody on here will be able to tell you if it's worth spending $500 as that depends on your financial situation, but if money isn't an issue, I definitely think it's worthwhile sitting the exam - in my opinion the best preparation for the GAMSAT is the GAMSAT! Most people will improve between their first and second sittings, and anecdotally I improved pretty significantly between my first and second sittings despite doing limited preparation both times around.

A1

Rookie Doc
technically can't i do the GAMSAT in septemeber this year for a 2022 application 2023 entry?

Technically GAMSAT only approves of you doing it from penultimate year i.e. in your case Mar 2021 / Sept 2021 / Mar 2022 for 2022 application 2023 entry. For those that fail to get in with 2022 application and try again with 2023 application, their Sept 2021 result can still be used as shown in the link Crow mentions.

I don't believe that means sitting Sept 2020 while in 1st year for 2022 application is "legal".

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Sorry, I missed the fact that you’re in first year right now. I read 3rd year for some reason!

Definitely don’t waste the $500 for a score that will be ineligible!

jfa01

Hey guys,
I'm only in second year right now but in my fourth year I have a course that is pass/fail. I know that GEMSAS calculates your last 3 FT study, and I am counting on my first year courses not counting as I didn't do so well. Since this 4th year course is pass/fail, would they be getting results from my first year?
Thanks in advance

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Hey guys,
I'm only in second year right now but in my fourth year I have a course that is pass/fail. I know that GEMSAS calculates your last 3 FT study, and I am counting on my first year courses not counting as I didn't do so well. Since this 4th year course is pass/fail, would they be getting results from my first year?
Thanks in advance
Read the GEMSAS guide or contact the specific universities in question; each uni calculates GPA differently.