Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

ANU Medicine Via BHealthSci and PhB

Icanttypeasd

Monash BMedSci & MD
Happy New Year fellow meddies and aspiring ones.! This may be a very late PSA but if you are worried about your chances of entering medicine ( like me a year ago) it is worth checking out these two courses. I promise ANU nor Canberra Tourism paid me to say this but Canberra is a nice city as long as you like roundabouts and don't feed the politicians.

The first course is the Bachelor of Philosophy (Honours) - Science and from my research, about a year ago, it offers 10 non-GAMSAT interview dependent places into medicine. The only catch is to maintain a high distinction average to stay in the program but according to my friends, it shouldn't be too hard. The information about this pathway is limited so I recommend getting in contact with the ANU.

Bachelor of Philosophy (Honours) - Science - ANU

The second course is the Bachelor of Health Science. It is a 60 student course that offers 30 non-GAMSAT places into medicine. The cutoff score may be relatively low but since there are only 60 places there is quite a lot of competition.

Bachelor of Health Science - ANU

FlyingAce

Had a quick read and it's important to note that: "Ten of the 30 places in the Doctor of Medicine and Surgery (MChD) program are reserved for rural and Indigenous students from the Bachelor of Health Science".

Icanttypeasd

Monash BMedSci & MD
Congrats on your offer!

Did you think the course was well advertised? Also, are you ready to experience Canberra’s cold?

msheppard

Lurker
Congrats on your offer!

Did you think the course was well advertised? Also, are you ready to experience Canberra’s cold?
Thanks! The course wasn't advertised at all. I found it by hunting through ANU's website. It was the 'eureka' moment after getting my UMAT back. The reserved rural spaces I feel helped me (I was considered rural). I'm currently working two jobs through 38+ heat, so the cold will be a welcome change.

Thanks! The course wasn't advertised at all. I found it by hunting through ANU's website. It was the 'eureka' moment after getting my UMAT back. The reserved rural spaces I feel helped me (I was considered rural). I'm currently working two jobs through 38+ heat, so the cold will be a welcome change.

Congrats!! I'm planning to apply for Bachelor of Health Science for 2019 through the rural entry too. Do you mind if you share your ATAR results as I believe that ANU had found rural students with an ATAR of 86 high-achieving, I wanna see whether I'll be competitive for the course.. Thank you.

g333

Lurker
Hello,
I am going to be doing this course (BHealthSci) this year but I am having trouble with choosing classes. I just have a questions about electives that you can take in this course in the first semester of year 1. I emailed the course coordinator and he said that the following subjects need to be undertaken:
HLTH1001

BIOL1008

CHEM1101

elective course

However when I went to the programs and courses page and looked through all the electives they either had a million pre-requisites or are offered in semester 2. Can anyone doing the course please help me on how I choose the elective for semester 1?

thank you!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

apk22

Hi guys, I was just wondering if anyone could give me a bit more information about the Bachelor of Health Sciences at ANU. I understand that after the second year 30 students will be given entry into medicine but from what I understand there isn't any guarantee that you'll be one of those 30 students? As in its not a guaranteed pathway?

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Hi guys, I was just wondering if anyone could give me a bit more information about the Bachelor of Health Sciences at ANU. I understand that after the second year 30 students will be given entry into medicine but from what I understand there isn't any guarantee that you'll be one of those 30 students? As in its not a guaranteed pathway?
There are 60 students in the course so you need to be in the top half of your cohort to receive a place offer into medicine. 10 of the 30 places are reserved for rural applicants so you essentially need to be in the top 20 if you’re a non-rural applicant. IIRC selection for interview is based solely off GPA.

By no means is the course a “guarantee” for entry into medicine and given the lack of career prospects provided by a health science degree, I’d advise against this pathway myself.

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
90 Selection Rank
I saw the same, but I suspect that’s the minimum requirement rather than the actual cutoff - I wouldn’t imagine a 50% chance of medicine entry with a capped class size would have a cutoff that low (though it may be the case!).

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
I saw the same, but I suspect that’s the minimum requirement rather than the actual cutoff - I wouldn’t imagine a 50% chance of medicine entry with a capped class size would have a cutoff that low (though it may be the case!).

From the two websites its seems you have to also complete a minimum amount cocurricular activities or service (see: Co-curricular or service requirement), and It looks like they consider a personal statement on top of that. Which explains how they can maintain a small class size given the attractiveness of the program

From the ANU link I posted in my last response:
In addition to meeting the published entry requirements, school leavers are required met the co-curricular or service requirement (CCS). The CCS functions as a threshold that is either met or not met
Admission to the Bachelor of Health Science also requires a successful assessment of suitability based on responses included in the Bachelor of Health Science Supplementary Form.

So, does it mean that if I get 90 and above i would get an offer?
No

From the UAC link i posted above:
Due to the competitive nature of our admissions process, we cannot guarantee entry to applicants who meet the minimum selection rank for their preferred program.

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
Ok I looked into a bit more into it given that this thread is kinda empty

First of all the application questions are here for reference. But you need to complete a survey-esque form linked at the bottom of the pdf to be accepted

Moving on, from the BHLTH Pathway Guidelines document, it says that Conditional offers will be released in January/February before students commence their final year in the Bachelor of Health Science, Which means it sort of gives you time to 'jump ship' before third year, given you don't get in.

Also from that pdf, Selection into the MChD is decided by 40% WAM/40% Interview/20% Personal Statement, given that you maintain at least a 75% WAM (roughly distinction) at the time of the interview and 'pass' it with a 60% total score. Once selected for the MChD, you need to graduate with a GPA of at least 5.6 to retain your place (given that 5.6 weighted is the minimum for ANU graduate entry i suspect this is also weighted)

There seems to be alot of conditions that will make you ineligible for progressing into the MChD... I wouldn't really suggest taking this pathway if you get something better.

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast

jacker

Hey guys, im possibly looking into applying for health science, can anyone thats currently studying the pre-med stream at ANU health science comment on how competitive and hard it is to maintain a solid gpa? Or even better, can anyone that's made it into MD via this route provide their tips and thoughts on it? Thank you!

Hey guys, im possibly looking into applying for health science, can anyone thats currently studying the pre-med stream at ANU health science comment on how competitive and hard it is to maintain a solid gpa? Or even better, can anyone that's made it into MD via this route provide their tips and thoughts on it? Thank you!
I'm interested to know about the competitiveness too. I obv don't study it, but I did apply and get an early offer this year so I can say that to apply you'll need to answer a questionnaire/personal statement type thing, plus fulfil cocurricular requirements if ur a school leaver. Also, even though the published minimum atar is only 85 the actual median accepted atar/selection rank (including bonus points/adjustment factors) is 99.95

Scoobert

I'm interested to know about the competitiveness too. I obv don't study it, but I did apply and get an early offer this year so I can say that to apply you'll need to answer a questionnaire/personal statement type thing, plus fulfil cocurricular requirements if ur a school leaver. Also, even though the published minimum atar is only 85 the actual median accepted atar/selection rank (including bonus points/adjustment factors) is 99.95
Same here - early entry recipient, so am also curious to hear from someone in the course. I am wondering whether it's more likely we'll find someone on pagingdr bc they'll be applying post grad?

I'll try making a post there asking the same questions :)