Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

COVID-19 Impact: Discussion and Questions

Hello all.

We all know about the toll COVID-19 has been taking on our hospitals. I've been hearing that our hospitals are under intense pressure at the moment and there have been articles which have said retired practitioners have been called back to help reduce the stress in the wards. My question is, how exactly are these hospitals assigning doctors to treat patients with COVID-19? Are they assigning most of the doctors to help out in the ED, regardless of their subspecialties? So what I mean by that is, could they possibly be assigning the dermatologists/cardiologists/opthalmologists on site to help out with the ED? If that's the case, wouldn't there be shortages of doctors treating existing problems (i.e. shortage of dermatologists, cardiologists, etc)?

chinaski

For non-ED doctors, it is a matter of triaging and re-allocating priorities. Elective and non-urgent matters are being cancelled or postponed indefinitely, which frees us up to deal with the patients from our discipline who can't wait and still require our care, as well as to provide some flexibility to assist at the covid front line as needed (and/or to have our junior staff redistributed to do the same). It is not just the ED and ICU that needs all hands on deck. The whole hospital requires staffing, and everyone at the front line is at a much greater personal risk of being taken out by the disease, so a high rate of necessary absenteeism is a realistic expectation.

Admins delete if not allowed,

I just wanted to advertise or advocate for the need of volunteers and blood donations at the current time. As COVID-19 is upon us and restricting our lives, it also is making hospital and patient life extremely difficult. Blood donations are 'extremely urgent' as told by a red-cross nurse and frankly the lack of social outgoings is making it worse. I understand social distancing and stopping the spread but, if you can make it to a donation centre, or convince someone to go, do it. The donation saves three lives and it only takes an hour and they need it more than ever, ofc look after your own health and make sure you're eligible but this is something that needs to be done before it gets even worse.

And also, if you do a few of them and learn how they run and the experiences, you'll have something to talk about in your interviews!!!

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Admins delete if not allowed,

I just wanted to advertise or advocate for the need of volunteers and blood donations at the current time. As COVID-19 is upon us and restricting our lives, it also is making hospital and patient life extremely difficult. Blood donations are 'extremely urgent' as told by a red-cross nurse and frankly the lack of social outgoings is making it worse. I understand social distancing and stopping the spread but, if you can make it to a donation centre, or convince someone to go, do it. The donation saves three lives and it only takes an hour and they need it more than ever, ofc look after your own health and make sure you're eligible but this is something that needs to be done before it gets even worse.

And also, if you do a few of them and learn how they run and the experiences, you'll have something to talk about in your interviews!!!

And if you’re a current Med student, you’ll be participating in your uni’s Vampire Cup team!

js1213

I’m aware that the Covid-19 is preventing current Year 12 students from attending school and affecting how their exams must be undertaken, and may continue to affect them for the next several months.

As someone hoping to gain non-standard entry into undergrad Med 2021, do you think this will change how admissions into undergrad Med 2021 might look?

Perplex

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
I’m aware that the Covid-19 is preventing current Year 12 students from attending school and affecting how their exams must be undertaken, and may continue to affect them for the next several months.

As someone hoping to gain non-standard entry into undergrad Med 2021, do you think this will change how admissions into undergrad Med 2021 might look?

It's difficult to say. This situation is very fluid and is constantly changing. I imagine there will be some change - even if that means pushing back the application timeline, but it's difficult to say. We will just have to wait and see.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor

I'd be prepared for pretty much any possibility at this point - think UCAT being cancelled, delayed admissions cycle, interviews held online instead of in-person, and worst case - a complete cancellation of the 2021 admissions cycle. As Perp says it's impossible to predict at this early stage and we'll just have to wait and see how it all plays out.

Stay safe and stay well during these difficult times!

whys

How would Covid-19 affect the selection process this year? It has already affected the UCAT test bookings. 🤔
The only way I can see the selection process being impacted by the situation is if i) all UCAT candidates who have booked a test are not able to sit it ii) the situation is bad to the extent that interviews will be conducted online for interstate travellers (a minor change). I'm fairly certain things like ATARs will still be determined and we will still sit the exams at the end of the year.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
How would Covid-19 affect the selection process this year? It has already affected the UCAT test bookings. 🤔
That’ll be speculation beyond what the universities have publicly announced already. Delayed admissions timeline and online interviews are two likely possibilities.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
ii) the situation is bad to the extent that interviews will be conducted online for interstate travellers
Just flagging it, but it’s likely that some unis will have ALL interviewees sit online rather than just the interstate interviewees if the situation continues as is. Interviews are effectively a mass gathering and while inconvenient for the unis, I think they’re hard to justify holding in person when they have the means to avoid doing so.

Obviously just me speculating!

missyallie

Anyone is able to share how's the experience of a group interview held online? Is it just like a Skype with multiple users in one call. I can imagine it would be very rowdy

Just flagging it, but it’s likely that some unis will have ALL interviewees sit online rather than just the interstate interviewees if the situation continues as is. Interviews are effectively a mass gathering and while inconvenient for the unis, I think they’re hard to justify holding in person when they have the means to avoid doing so.

Obviously just me speculating!

I think online interviews are already a given? But it's really more difficult to stand out as a candidate on a computer screen, as opposed to in person, IMO.. Good & bad i suppose

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Anyone is able to share how's the experience of a group interview held online? Is it just like a Skype with multiple users in one call. I can imagine it would be very rowdy
Why do you ask? Group interviews may be held occasionally for some jobs, but they aren’t held for medicine/dentistry entrance in Australia to the very best of my knowledge. Have you been told you’ll be having an online group interview for international student selection at a particular uni?

ucatboy

final year eek
Valued Member
Why do you ask? Group interviews may be held occasionally for some jobs, but they aren’t held for medicine/dentistry entrance in Australia to the very best of my knowledge. Have you been told you’ll be having an online group interview for international student selection at a particular uni?
IIRC USyd is one of the only unis to offer a group interview for their provisional med pathway. This is in addition to the written component. I didn't attend the USyd interview myself, so someone like Helmut who did might be able to give more info on that.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
IIRC USyd is one of the only unis to offer a group interview for their provisional med pathway. This is in addition to the written component. I didn't attend the USyd interview myself, so someone like Helmut who did might be able to give more info on that.
Oh yeah, I forgot about USYD (because it literally only applies to the top 0.05% ;) ) - personally I think it’s a very strange way to assess someone for medicine entry, particular given some motivations are quite personal, but anyhow - probably good for cost-cutting.

That’ll be speculation beyond what the universities have publicly announced already. Delayed admissions timeline and online interviews are two likely possibilities.
The JCU Med 2021 applicant form under the important dates mentions interviews held at JCU Townsville campus or online’, UWA have said on their website that if interviews are unable to be carried out, the SJT of UCAT could be used in candidate selection.
This remains an evolving area, for example, normally there are two sittings of the Anaesthetics Primary exam, followed by a viva (face to face) exam 6 weeks later. Those who sat in Feb/March in their own states have not sat their vivas, usually held in Melbourne. After consultation with the trainees, it was decided to continue with the 2nd sitting and have them all present for the viva exams in Melbourne. These involves a bunch of Oz/NZ examiners as well as cohorts of Oz/NZcandidates over 3 days.
As of 31/7/20, ANZCA (Anaesthetic college of Oz and NZ) moved the face to face exams to Sydney for all the non-Vic Aussies, with the Victorians to do them in their home state a month later. Kiwis will have their exams in Auckland, NZ. I understand they are nervous about doing them online for a number of reasons, including unfamiliarity with the technology for both candidates and examiners. So at this stage, it will involve for eg Vic examiners examining Vic candidates etc.
It could change again.

Last edited:

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
With regards to COVID-19 affecting international student entry, do you reckon unis will be shifting those positions to domestic students or are they just going to accept less applicants in general? I wanna hear people's thoughts on this!

They can't just shift those positions to domestic applicants. It's no where near as straight forward as that due to the role of the federal government/state governments in funding the degrees and organising internships.

Reactions: 2xq