Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Post-UCAT Discussion 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexturnip

Hey guys. I was not sure if this is the right forum, please forgive me and remove if so.

My question is - when universities are looking at GPA, do they look at individual subjects? My uni granted me a non-counting S mark for my Credit (all other units were HD) which means they ignore my credit mark, making my total GPA 7.

Will they know that I got a credit? Or do they just look at total GPA?

For reference I go to WSU and am applying for JMP, WSU , UNSW and Adelaide

A1

Rookie Doc
Or do they just look at total GPA?

UAC & SATAC will not use the GPA shown in your WSU academic record, they do their own calculation instead.

There are two possible scenarios : (a) they will use the numerical marks of that S unit to give it a grade point, then add up with all the HDs and divide by 8 for GPA. Or (b) they ignore the S unit, add up all the HDs divide by 7 units which would give you GPA 7.

YeahTrueHey

I'd be interested to see how the distributions of UCAT scores vary by state. I don't know if we have a large enough sample size on MSO to do that though.
Edit: Also quick question, What kind of cutoff is there for WSU (non rural, interstate)? (in terms of the formula given)(I'm on around 696.8)

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
I'd be interested to see how the distributions of UCAT scores vary by state. I don't know if we have a large enough sample size on MSO to do that though.
Edit: Also quick question, What kind of cutoff is there for WSU (non rural, interstate)? (in terms of the formula given)

UCAT ‘cut off’ was formula based last year. Plenty of chat about it in the WSU forum so head over there.

A1

Rookie Doc
Edit: Also quick question, What kind of cutoff is there for WSU (non rural, interstate)? (in terms of the formula given)(I'm on around 696.8)

See in this post > UCAT Section Weighting Discussion and Questions
the cutoffs last year were the lowest aggregates that got a top-up invite.

But with the increase of 90%ile score from 2840 to 2920 this year i.e. roughly 20 marks per section I would add 20 to last year's cutoffs.

dande

I'd be interested to see how the distributions of UCAT scores vary by state.
yeah absouletely I think this could be interesting since VIC was in lockdown for a while and thus they may have a higher mean (more time to grind so higher scores maybe) but thats highly speculative I guess lol

ucatboy

final year eek
Valued Member
yeah absouletely I think this could be interesting since VIC was in lockdown for a while and thus they may have a higher mean (more time to grind so higher scores maybe) but thats highly speculative I guess lol
Dunno, I'd be inclined to think that the added stress + unknowns + uncertainty would counteract that extra prep time. I'd definitely be stressed asf not knowing when my test could be cancelled.

YeahTrueHey

Dunno, I'd be inclined to think that the added stress + unknowns + uncertainty would counteract that extra prep time. I'd definitely be stressed asf not knowing when my test could be cancelled.
Even so that would be interesting to see in the data.

Scorpion

Even so that would be interesting to see in the data.
Agreed that the data would be interesting, but I don’t think it would vary too much state-to-state due to COVID-19. Remember, most events in the months leading up to the UCAT were cancelled in other states too, meaning even though we weren’t in lockdown we didn’t exactly have busy social calendars, leaving plenty of study time.

That being said, I do wonder if the education/curriculum in one state inadvertently prepares students for the UCAT more than another.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
That being said, I do wonder if the education/curriculum in one state inadvertently prepares students for the UCAT more than another.
I'd honestly be very surprised if there were any significant differences between the education in each state and the subsequent associated UCAT scores. Though, there are way too many confounding factors to account for to measure this anyway!

requiem

Monash I
Do you guys think that med unis will look at VIC school leavers a bit more preferentially compared to the past due to the fact that we haven't had physical classes for nearly as long as the other states?

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
I don’t think they will but I think Victorian universities will be a lot more justified in prioritising Victorian students this year as compared to prior years.

Keep in mind the ATAR is a percentile ranking decided state by state, as in a 99 ATAR would be higher than 99% of Victorians, so realistically as a whole they are not disadvantaged by that (although students ability to learn in this time is greatly tied to socioeconomic status of their schools so I’d hope more schools focus less on the ATAR this year round as it’s less predictive, much like many GEMSAS unis have ignored 2020 GPA results)

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Do you guys think that med unis will look at VIC school leavers a bit more preferentially compared to the past due to the fact that we haven't had physical classes for nearly as long as the other states?
Short answer: I don't think so. Long answer: You need to look at the EAS/UES/SEAS etc schemes and see whether they cover COVID-related interruptions and whether you fit their criteria. Note that quite a number of medical schools don't consider these schemes at all, so even if the TAC you are applying to does offer it, it may not help too much. Also given just how many schools across the country have been impacted, it may be a case of nearly everyone qualifying for the scheme, defeating its purpose.

ALSO Monash already looks at Victorian applicants far more preferentially than any other applicant, so there's that.

whys

No, our ATARs/study scores are already being adjusted to reflect the difficulties we've faced in longterm online classes and other covid disruptions that may have affected one's education. The purpose of this is so when we apply interstate we are not disadvantaged when competing with other interstate students for a place offer (don't know how they'll be changed or by how much, but it's still something). Dan Andrews or James Merlino (can't remember which one) have already said this in a video and in written form. So no, med unis wouldn't look at VIC school leavers preferentially because disadvantages have already been 'accounted' for. Like Crow said, there's also a SEAS category for covid so if you feel you fit under that then apply to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.