Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Griffith Griffith Medicine: Provisional Entry General Discussion

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Actually PhuBaothao I will have to amend that - the total degree will probably be somewhere between 27-30k but because you’re doing it in an accelerated two years the fees will be closer to 14k per year or something around there - again, this can all go on HECS so it shouldn’t change anything.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
bump

bump
Please don’t bump posts that you literally posted less than a day ago. The best person to answer your questions is probably Lyyrre or UpTheGunners (who are both busy people, probably in exam block right now) and it’s unrealistic to expect you will always get an immediate reply. Please be patient.

Unless the classes are labs, you should be fine to skip them without an explanation. The course convenors should let you swap time slots for that week or organise something else for you if necessary.

UpTheGunners

Griffith MD II
I will be undertaking my first year of BMedSci at Griffith Uni in 2020 and I am looking to apply as a non-standard at WSU, JMP & UNSW for the 2021 intake. Due to Griffith's unique accelerated course I will be doing 3 Trimesters in my first year and will be mid-way my third trimester when offers come out in mid-Jan 2021. I was wondering since i am basically studying all year, if i get an interview offer from any of the unis which is likely to be during the term, would that be enough reason for be to skip class? or do it at a later date because i dont mind doing classes early to free up time for interviews. Also how intense is the third trimester of first year of griffith med sci. I am planning to do 4 courses in the third tri. I understand
3001MSC - Science of Infection Control is an online class so that wont be much of a hassle.

Advice from anyone who has completed first year griffith medsci would be great!

Hi Iroh, honestly haven’t been on MSO man. Was in a constant cycle of partying and hibernating after finals finished Monday and Tuesday

In tri 3 you have 3 core subjects one being epidemiology, SOIC and research project and one elective (so 4 total). There are no classes for research project and only online classes for soic. Epidemiology courses run over a month from November to December just before the mid tri break during Christmas. Even taking into account the classes for your elective, you will barely have any classes at uni (max 2 days a week if you schedule properly) and after epi and your elective is done, you will legit have a ‘holiday’ all of Jan and half of Feb. So honestly tri 3 will legit be the most chill trimester in all of medsci and because of this, most interstate and international students went back to their homes for a solid 6 weeks until it was time for exams which we just finished this week. But even if your interviews fall on a day you have class it should be fine since I remember that people were allowed to miss compulsory classes for human skills in tri 2 since they were sitting GAMSAT. Honestly it’s not anything to worry about and if you talk with your course convenor, they will understand fine (although if you take Essential Skills as an elective you may find it a bit more of a hassle since the convenor is more stringent on attendance but even then, only 2 days a week I had this course).

yoooo

Hiya, was wondering how bonded places for sunshine coast uni will be allocated. Will they be allocated to the bottom 20-something % of the 20 cohort in usc, or will they be allocated to the 20-something% of the cohort who are all completing provisional med sci/doctor of medicine from ALL Griffith campus (so sunshine coast, gc and Nathan). Thanks!

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Hiya, was wondering how bonded places for sunshine coast uni will be allocated. Will they be allocated to the bottom 20-something % of the 20 cohort in usc, or will they be allocated to the 20-something% of the cohort who are all completing provisional med sci/doctor of medicine from ALL Griffith campus (so sunshine coast, gc and Nathan). Thanks!
Great question. Best to ask Griffith and report back here. My suspicion would be that they’ll directly compare the GPAs of USC/Nathan/GC grads entering the MD in 2021 rather than separating the cohorts into GC/Nathan and SC and giving bottom 28.5% in each separate cohort BMPs; but this is speculation and you’re best to get an official answer from Griffith. To be honest with you, I wouldn’t be surprised if they haven’t even considered that particular issue yet.

Ian Naga

Retired Lurker
As per the information from USC below, it states 28.5% of places. So if your class is 23, 6 or 7 will be offered bonded.

>>>>>>>>>>>>USC<<<<<<<<<<<<
Admission criteria
Bachelor Medical Science with a minimum GPA of 5.00 at time of application
Maintain GPA for final semester.
A minimum passing grade in MED202 Communication Skills for Medicine

Offers
Conditional offers will be made on November 2nd. You must respond to this offer within the stipulated time frame or your offer will lapse.
Confirmed offers will be made when we receive official confirmation of your final semester results.
To accept your confirmed offer you must enrol within 7 days or your offer will lapse.
Fee Types: Unencumbered CSP and Bonded CSP (BMP)
Bonded Medical Places Program – BMP
health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/reformed-bonded-programs-resources
28.5% of places
>>>>>>>>>>
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
Note: If you do not complete the online application by the 15 August, 2020, it will
be assumed you are declining your place in Griffith's Doctor of Medicine (5099) program.

Keeping Track: You will be able to track of your application progress online.

Offers Released: Offers will be released 2 November, 2020. All offers will be for places located at the Sunshine Coast teaching location (Sunshine Coast Institute of Health.) Offers will be conditional until we have official confirmation of your final semester results, including confirmation that you have passed Communication Skills for Medicine.

Offer Type: Conditional offers will be made on your first 5 semester results. 28.5% of the places (approximately 6 places) will be bonded. https://www1.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/work-st-bmp

Enrolment: Once you receive the Starting@Griffith email, you will have 7 days to enrol in
the Doctor of Medicine (5099) program. If you do not enrol within 7 days your offer will lapse.

Deferral: If you plan to defer commencement the Doctor of Medicine until 2022 please ensure you still complete the online application form.
To defer please email your request to: [email protected] by 30 September, 2020.

ashh

Hello,

I'm just a little confused as to how provisional entry into Griffith/USC med works. I understand that, firstly you will need to get a very high ATAR to even get an offer into medical science, and secondly, you will need to maintain a GPA >5.0 and a minimum grade of pass in Human Skills for Medicine to progress into MD.

If you meet the above requirements, are you definitely guaranteed an entry into MD or will you be ranked within your cohort and only a few top ranking students will be selected?

Also does anyone know how many places are available for domestic, non-rural students in the undergrad medical science course?

Thank you so much for your help!

Lyyrre

USYD MD I
Hello,

I'm just a little confused as to how provisional entry into Griffith/USC med works. I understand that, firstly you will need to get a very high ATAR to even get an offer into medical science, and secondly, you will need to maintain a GPA >5.0 and a minimum grade of pass in Human Skills for Medicine to progress into MD.

If you meet the above requirements, are you definitely guaranteed an entry into MD or will you be ranked within your cohort and only a few top ranking students will be selected?

Also does anyone know how many places are available for domestic, non-rural students in the undergrad medical science course?

Thank you so much for your help!

Second year Griffith Med Sci here, you are exactly correct - nice to see you’ve done your research before posting. Everyone who is admitted to the B. Medical Science will be guaranteed a spot into the Griffith MD provided you meet the criteria’s of GPA 5+ and pass in the human skills for medicine course. The difficulty, of course, is getting the ATAR to get into the course.

There are 80 domestic spots for the B Med Sci (30 GC, 30 Nathan, 20 USC).

A1

Rookie Doc

I think you need to update yourself on this^ ;)
The year just now Griffith made offers to well more than 30 GC 30 Nathan. The enrolment numbers are well up as well iirc.

Lyyrre

USYD MD I
I think you need to update yourself on this^ ;)
The year just now Griffith made offers to well more than 30 GC 30 Nathan. The enrolment numbers are well up as well iirc.

Yep definitely aware of that hahahaha. The cutoff dropped to 99.50 with about 40-50 domestic places per campus for 2020. Then again we never know how admissions will work next year so 30 is just a safe number.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Yep definitely aware of that hahahaha. The cutoff dropped to 99.50 with about 40-50 domestic places per campus for 2020. Then again we never know how admissions will work next year so 30 is just a safe number.

There was some talk originally that the drop in ATAR might have been due to a smaller than normal QLD year 12 leaver cohort, but your reply above suggests it was actually because Griffith over-offered by a fair bit compared to previous years. Do you know what their reasoning was for this? And whether it'll have a flow on effect for the relevant grad entry year?

Lyyrre

USYD MD I
There was some talk originally that the drop in ATAR might have been due to a smaller than normal QLD year 12 leaver cohort, but your reply above suggests it was actually because Griffith over-offered by a fair bit compared to previous years. Do you know what their reasoning was for this? And whether it'll have a flow on effect for the relevant grad entry year?

I’m unfortunately not familiar with the specifics or the reasoning, although it is true that Griffith did over offer for the undergraduate pathway in 2020. Assuming that Grad Entry intake remains at 200 domestic places (including intake from the B Med Sci pathway), it’s reasonable to suggest that there would be a flow-on effect for the 2022 entry into Griffith MD, perhaps higher GAMSAT/GPA requirements.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
I think it was a combination of those factors that caused the decreased cutoff. I can take a stab in the dark ( ;) ) and say that it's more financially profitable for the uni to increase their medical science pathway intake, so I'm thinking they weren't too concerned about the over-offering given that they can just cut down the grad entry numbers for that year with no harm done. I had also heard through the grapevine earlier last year that the idea of converting to all-provisional/Griffith grad entry (similar to the way Monash does it) or at least increasing the provisional entry cohort size had been floated, so maybe this is the effect of that idea.

Certainly we can expect a big increase in graduate entry cutoffs when this cohort makes its way through - there will be the double effect of the Sunshine Coast cohort and this very large GC/Nathan cohort taking up many of the places that originally would've gone to graduate entry.

A1

Rookie Doc
increasing the provisional entry cohort size had been floated

UWA did this 3 years ago. With a quota of 200 places the year I got in it was split 100 provisional 100 grad entry, two years later they changed to 140 / 60. The 40 places taken from grad entry were for the new Broadway/EAS pathway for disadvantaged schools. So getting into UWA grad entry has become much harder.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
UWA did this 3 years ago. With a quota of 200 places the year I got in it was split 100 provisional 100 grad entry, two years later they changed to 140 / 60. The 40 places taken from grad entry were for the new Broadway/EAS pathway for disadvantaged schools. So getting into UWA grad entry has become much harder.
A far better cause than any potential shift of Griffith's grad entry places would be going to!

TKAO

oowah!
Valued Member
Those damn underprivileged children taking my damn medical spots! /s

Last edited:
Second year Griffith Med Sci here, you are exactly correct - nice to see you’ve done your research before posting. Everyone who is admitted to the B. Medical Science will be guaranteed a spot into the Griffith MD provided you meet the criteria’s of GPA 5+ and pass in the human skills for medicine course. The difficulty, of course, is getting the ATAR to get into the course.

Hi Lyyrre,
What exactly is the Human Skills for medicine course, is that like an interview after BMed or just a part of the curriculum?
Thanks!

Lyyrre

USYD MD I
Hi Lyyrre,
What exactly is the Human Skills for medicine course, is that like an interview after BMed or just a part of the curriculum?
Thanks!

The Human Skills for Medicine is a course that's part of the curriculum, it's taken during Trimester 2 of First Year and counts as 10 credit points towards completion of the degree. They teach you how to interact with patients and what being a doctor is about (the most enjoyable course in my experience, very humanitarian based). At the end of the trimester, you sit a multistation "OSCE" (MMI structured) exam talking to simulated patients, and they assess you on your communication skills, the pass rate is incredibly high so it's not often seen as a major barrier to entry into the MD.

cocodreams

Does Griffith uni both in NSW and Queensland only offer provisional entry? I did some research and I believe there is no direct entry for school leavers, is that true? If I were to put down Griffith in my QTAC preferences, which one would I place , sort of confused.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Does Griffith uni both in NSW and Queensland only offer provisional entry? I did some research and I believe there is no direct entry for school leavers, is that true? If I were to put down Griffith in my QTAC preferences, which one would I place , sort of confused.
Which Griffith uni in NSW are you referring to? It’s big news to me ;) You can either go through provisional entry or graduate entry, but not direct entry medicine from school.