Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Med/Dent Interview Preparation

N182

In the things to consider section (at the end of the document) what does 'order of death' mean exactly?

S

Sokka

In the things to consider section (at the end of the document) what does 'order of death' mean exactly?
In a scenario where 4 people for example are in critical conditions, but the situation is such where you can only give one person treatment. How would you decide?
This is the jist of it. I’m pretty sure whoartthou said he no longer sees this question though

whoartthou

In a scenario where 4 people for example are in critical conditions, but the situation is such where you can only give one person treatment. How would you decide?
This is the jist of it. I’m pretty sure whoartthou said he no longer sees this question though

I think they realised students who had medical knowledge were at an advantage when answering these questions. All I can say is that the university that used to use this question has since removed it from their pool of questions.

ABC131

For me it's a combination of several reasons: 1/ at Y12 I didn't know what else I wanted to do and still don't haha. 2/ it's a well regarded profession (before anyone says there are other well regarded professions too, please see 1/). 3/ its guaranteed intern job and relatively stable employment afterwards. My parents struggled so much to find/hold a steady good job, I don't want to go through that experience. 4/ it's a sense of achievement for me. 5/ maybe I can help take care of my parents' health when they grow old, etc.

If in future I don't want the hustle bustle of getting into a specialty or GP I'd be happy to continue working in the hospitals. Its 10k/month pay is enough to overfeed me. In fact a family friend has been doing just that, she bore & raised three kids while working as a hospital doctor.
Sorry for my limited understanding, but generally wouldn't these points be perceived as a negative reason for pursing medicine in an interview? Or do you have to sort of twist your motivations in a more articulate and interview style way when answering why medicine? (also don't mean to dismiss your reasons for doing medicine as mine are very similar just wondering).

A1

Rookie Doc
Sorry for my limited understanding, but generally wouldn't these points be perceived as a negative reason for pursing medicine in an interview? Or do you have to sort of twist your motivations in a more articulate and interview style way when answering why medicine? (also don't mean to dismiss your reasons for doing medicine as mine are very similar just wondering).

These are my personal views, whether they go down well with interviewers I have no idea.

1. Like myself many 17yo Y12 kids don't really know yet what they want to do. Is that a crime against applying for medicine? I'd argue not, since if the interviewers use that as reason to mark me down, consequently push me to doing a different course like engineering/science/commerce, then my question is who are the interviewers to say engineering/science/commerce would be better than medicine for me.

2. I don't have the inherent motivation like the kids who say they have wanted to do medicine since 12yo, they have had work experience with a GP blah blah. My question to them is did they really motivate themselves to go seek this work experience themselves, or did parents/someone "motivate" them to? If I can raise this question it can be in the interviewers' mind too. (Btw after deciding to do medicine I went apply to become a St John Ambulance volunteer by myself, my parents didn't even know about this program to tell me to).

3. For me the more important point is despite not knowing what I want to do, I have given much consideration (including job/economic factors) before choosing medicine over other choices. I'm not applying just because it's fashionable.

4. As a few seniors (chinaski, whoartthou, Crow) have replied to you in another thread, when asking why you want to do medicine the interviewers are not looking just for motivation but to see if you have given enough thought about what it entails in future. Being truthful about it is far better than coming up with manufactured motivation.

Best of luck to you. Again I emphasize these are my personal views, I probably didn't do very well in my interviews but my ATAR+UMAT marks carried me.

whoartthou

It will depend on how you frame and word your answers. Those aren't necessarily negative points but rather points that need to be considered when pursuing any career. I wouldn't say you have no idea what you want but rather after research you have come to "this conclusion" and therefore, want to pursue a career in medicine. I would also include the point that it involves giving back to others and helping others in a time of need as that is imperative to being an ethical doctor. There is nothing wrong with the other reasons.

A1

Rookie Doc
generally wouldn't these points be perceived as a negative reason for pursing medicine in an interview?

Just found this video, at 6:30 mark the UNSW Med Professor answers your question
> UNSW Rural Clinical School Information Evening 23rd July 2020

Why would one want to study medicine? His suggestions : Guaranteed job, Good income, Status, Broad skills, Humanitarian. Not far from my points haha. Interview coaching that tells Y12 students they need to show motivation, passion blah blah is bullsh@#$ (well it might win a few brownie points but if you fake it you risk losing more).

whoartthou

Just found this video, at 6:30 mark the UNSW Med Professor answers your question
> UNSW Rural Clinical School Information Evening 23rd July 2020

Why would one want to study medicine? His suggestions : Guaranteed job, Good income, Status, Broad skills, Humanitarian. Not far from my points haha. Interview coaching that tells Y12 students they need to show motivation, passion blah blah is bullsh@#$ (well it might win a few brownie points but if you fake it you risk losing more).

I wouldn't say motivation and passion are necessarily bullsh@$%. The medical professor will not be interviewing all the candidates. In addition they grew up in a different era where practicality mattered more than pursuing your natural inclinations. Most interviewers will not be doctors and therefore, their interpretation of the question may be quite different.

Respect for the profession is definitely more valued and shown in the rural setting whereas it's not as common place in an urban practice.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
While I’m obviously not an interviewer, I would personally caution against solely basing your answer around job security and income/status which can be achieved in many other careers other than medicine. For me that doesn’t really address “why medicine” specifically.

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
I wouldn't say motivation and passion are necessarily bullsh@$%. The medical professor will not be interviewing all the candidates.

In my personal opinion it can come off as a red flag, if you’re blind sighted by the passion and drive of a false image of what it actually is like to be a doctor, and you will come across as immature and not understanding of the issues that plague the field.

I think it’s incredibly important to also mention the positive and negative of each reason you choose to pursue to show that you have really thought about and understand what you’re signing up to. I can’t really see a possible downside of pure passion.

I think Job Security is a legitimate reason to pursue medicine, as well how broad and diverse the field is regarding specialities, work environments allowing you to channel your interests later in life as A1 said before. If the dean of the med school you’re applying to agrees then I think it’s a pretty safe answers as long as you can reasonable justify it (with positives and negatives)

EDIT: I’ve also had someone who sits on specialty training selection say that the answer based on pure passion without any level of pragmatism sounded “kinda dumb” LOL

ABC131

In my personal opinion it can come off as a red flag, if you’re blind sighted by the passion and drive of a false image of what it actually is like to be a doctor, and you will come across as immature and not understanding of the issues that plague the field.

I think it’s incredibly important to also mention the positive and negative of each reason you choose to pursue to show that you have really thought about and understand what you’re signing up to. I can’t really see a possible downside of pure passion.

I think Job Security is a legitimate reason to pursue medicine, as well how broad and diverse the field is regarding specialities, work environments allowing you to channel your interests later in life as A1 said before. If the dean of the med school you’re applying to agrees then I think it’s a pretty safe answers as long as you can reasonable justify it (with positives and negatives)

EDIT: I’ve also had someone who sits on specialty training selection say that the answer based on pure passion without any level of pragmatism sounded “kinda dumb” LOL
I was thinking of structuring my answer as 'passion/ emotional story which lead to interest,' then doing actual research on what it means to be a doctor/job details and how this aligns with what I want to do in the future, is this a good idea?

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
I was thinking of structuring my answer as 'passion/ emotional story which lead to interest,' then doing actual research on what it means to be a doctor/job details and how this aligns with what I want to do in the future, is this a good idea?

Keep in mind I’m not a doctor or anyone involved with medical selection but I think as long as the story is real, and a legitimate reason why you considered medicine (then obviously researched the career at a later date) I don’t see the issue in telling the story on your “introduction” to the field

If it’s made up, over exaggerated, or overly sappy then I don’t think it will be of much value.

Don’t start to think you need an emotional connection to the field, but if that’s legitimately why you started to consider it, then go for it

ABC131

Keep in mind I’m not a doctor or anyone involved with medical selection but I think as long as the story is real, and a legitimate reason why you considered medicine (then obviously researched the career at a later date) I don’t see the issue in telling the story on your “introduction” to the field

If it’s made up, over exaggerated, or overly sappy then I don’t think it will be of much value.

Don’t start to think you need an emotional connection to the field, but if that’s legitimately why you started to consider it, then go for it
Yep exactly I went from having no clue what I wanted to do, to doing something in healthcare after this experience. After researching I realised being a doctor was the best option for me out of all the careers in healthcare (a lot of the reasons A1 mentioned).

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
Yep exactly I went from having no clue what I wanted to do, to doing something in healthcare after this experience. After researching I realised being a doctor was the best option for me out of all the careers in healthcare (a lot of the reasons A1 mentioned).

Just picking ya brain a bit but what did the doctor do to make you want to do medicine as compared to the nurses on the ward, or any other allied health professional? I think this a pretty reasonable follow up question

ABC131

Just picking ya brain a bit but what did the doctor do to make you want to do medicine as compared to the nurses on the ward, or any other allied health professional? I think this a pretty reasonable follow up question
In fact the nurse did more than the doctor in this case. Thats why I said somewhere in the healthcare field and not specifically medicine. However talking to doctors/nurse+doing online research I realised the workload for nurses was insane (even more than doctors) and there was very little scientific application and more clinical skills, which I didn't really like. So opted for a more science heavy and less stressful (albeit still a very high amount of stress) course compared to nursing.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
I realised the workload for nurses was insane (even more than doctors) and there was very little scientific application and more clinical skills, which I didn't really like. So opted for a more science heavy and less stressful (albeit still a very high amount of stress) course compared to nursing.
I would be careful with this in an interview. You will probably find there's a lot of variation between individual opinions when it comes to which career has a greater workload or is more stressful, rather than it being career-specific. Certainly, the path to becoming a fully qualified consultant is very onerous and will have many stressors along the way.

whoartthou

In fact the nurse did more than the doctor in this case. Thats why I said somewhere in the healthcare field and not specifically medicine. However talking to doctors/nurse+doing online research I realised the workload for nurses was insane (even more than doctors) and there was very little scientific application and more clinical skills, which I didn't really like. So opted for a more science heavy and less stressful (albeit still a very high amount of stress) course compared to nursing.

Haha the work load for nurses isn't easy but if you were to say that to a doctor who is sitting on the panel they would probably look at you funny.
Not saying nursing workload isn't intense but until you see the training requirements of a doctor and the amount of overtime, study, research that is conducted behind the job I would beg to differ in that opinion when comparing the averages. Take for example a great deal of surgical regs and BPTs I know work 60+ hours weeks on average on top of their other commitments.

I definitely agree that blind passion is foolish and you have to back up your answers with pragmatic examples. However, I wouldn't lead with an answer of medicine gives me status, money etc.

ABC131

Haha the work load for nurses isn't easy but if you were to say that to a doctor who is sitting on the panel they would probably look at you funny.
Not saying nursing workload isn't intense but until you see the training requirements of a doctor and the amount of overtime, study, research that is conducted behind the job I would beg to differ in that opinion when comparing the averages. Take for example a great deal of surgical regs and BPTs I know work 60+ hours weeks on average on top of their other commitments.

I definitely agree that blind passion is foolish and you have to back up your answers with pragmatic examples. However, I wouldn't lead with an answer of medicine gives me status, money etc.
I was under the impression that nurses have significantly more physical work having to work long hours standing up, attend to patients reguarly for basic needs, do a lot of labor work. So I was mainly refering to the physical stress on the body, and would much rather prefer to have a mix between the academic side of research etc, alongside physical work rather than focusing solely on the clinical side. Is that a more clear response?

whoartthou

I was under the impression that nurses have significantly more physical work having to work long hours standing up, attend to patients reguarly for basic needs, do a lot of labor work. So I was mainly refering to the physical stress on the body, and would much rather prefer to have a mix between the academic side of research etc, alongside physical work rather than focusing solely on the clinical side. Is that a more clear response?

That makes more sense. Remember in an interview add depth to your answer because otherwise your response may be misinterpreted.