Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Dentistry at International Medical University/Malaysia

Ehab Raed

hi everyone,
I want some help from you guys, I am thinking to do dentistry overseas in Malaysia with International Medical University, just wondering if anyone is doing their BDS there? is it recognised from ADC? how is teaching, student life, etc ? how do you pay your fees basically everything you know about it.

A1

Rookie Doc
is it recognised from ADC?

ADC deals with the academic side of the courses. Recognition/Registration matters are regulated by the Dental Board. Unfortunately the Dental Board only accepts overseas degrees from NZ, UK, Ireland & Canada.

> Dental Board of Australia - Dentists

"General Registration
There are several pathways to General Registration for dentists with overseas qualifications:
  1. Dentists who are registered to practise in New Zealand under Trans Tasman mutual recognition
  2. Dentists with eligible bachelor degrees from the United Kingdom, Republic of Ireland or New Zealand
  3. Dentists with eligible degrees from Canada and compliant with the ‘additional requirements’
  4. Dentists with other qualifications:
    a. complete an Australian approved program of study; or
    b. undertake the examination procedure conducted by the Australian Dental Council (ADC).
    "

Rb211

Hi I am thinking about IMU dentistry as well. I have a question about their partner dental school program where you study 2.5 years at imu and the next 2-3 years in another uni like Adelaide uni. So, will graduating from this program allow us to practice in Australia, is it recognised by ADC?

sanchana

Hi I am thinking about IMU dentistry as well. I have a question about their partner dental school program where you study 2.5 years at imu and the next 2-3 years in another uni like Adelaide uni. So, will graduating from this program allow us to practice in Australia, is it recognised by ADC?
Hey! I had also considered IMU previously. I called them earlier this year and asked if a dental degree (2.5 years @ imu and the remaining years at a partner university) will be accredited in Singapore, they mentioned it wouldn't be accredited and for it to be accredited, it must be done completely in Australia/UK. But I don't really know how to verify this info. But in your case, you asked if its accredited in Australia, you should check with the ADC. Maybe send them an email?

A1

Rookie Doc
So, will graduating from this program allow us to practice in Australia, is it recognised by ADC?

See my post above > Dentistry at International Medical University/Malaysia

What matters is registration by the Dental Board of Australia rather than the degree being ADC recognised/accredited. The Board's approved pathways include
4. Dentists with other qualifications:
a. complete an Australian approved program of study

So check with the Dental Board whether the 2-3 years study in Aus meets this requirement, since it is their clause not ADC's.

Unluckydude

In addition to what has been said above, it's important for you guys to note that you won't be able to complete your clinical years in Australia if you guys are Australian citizens or PRs.

Applicants who are citizens from countries where the IMU’s Partner Dental Schools (PDS) are located will not be eligible to apply for admission into the IMU-PDS option. These countries are Australia, Canada, New Zealand and United Kingdom. However, applicants may apply to the IMU option in Malaysia.

Applicants with a PR status in any of the countries mentioned above may apply for the IMU-PDS option, but the choice of PDS will be restricted as follows:

PR holders of Australia or New Zealand will not be matched to any of the PDS in Australia or New Zealand.

laerla

Our class had a few from IMU, and some started working straight after graduation

CALLING ANY EXISTING OR FORMER STUDENT OF IMU
I have my interview very soon for PDS dentistry at IMU and am still dicey on joining it if I get the offer. Is it really worth the price, having one building for the duration of the course. How are the lectures and lecturers and are there enough practicals?? Is the PDS program really guaranteed or even worth? Any advise ASAP would be really helpful!! thank you :)))

Unluckydude

I have my interview very soon for PDS dentistry at IMU and am still dicey on joining it if I get the offer. Is it really worth the price, having one building for the duration of the course. How are the lectures and lecturers and are there enough practicals?? Is the PDS program really guaranteed or even worth? Any advise ASAP would be really helpful!! thank you :)))
You need to make sure that you're not a citizen or PR of Australia if you wish to be admitted to an Australian dental school through this pathway. Otherwise you won't be able to practise in Australia.

You need to make sure that you're not a citizen or PR of Australia if you wish to be admitted to an Australian dental school through this pathway. Otherwise you won't be able to practise in Australia.
Thanks! How is the course otherwise? In terms of lectures, usefulness and the whole experience.

Unluckydude

Thanks! How is the course otherwise? In terms of lectures, usefulness and the whole experience.
Sorry, I don't know too much about IMU since this forum is mainly for Australian med/dent schools.

Is it worth doing a degree from another dental school in Malaysia and graduating from Malaysia or should I go to IMU so I can transfer later but also pay a large sum?
It depends on your goal. If your goal is to practise dent in Malaysia, I feel like it might be better to study at cheaper dental school or a prestigious local dental school. Again, I don't much about dentistry in Malaysia.

TKAO

oowah!
Valued Member
I don't know exactly how transferring the degree over works, but I would strongly strongly warn against going to any private malaysian university for medicine or dentistry. I don't know the exact details, but my parents and many of their friends know people who have attempted to do this, only to have a very expensive piece of paper and nothing to show for it because there are only a limited number of intern (or housemanship) spots that are heavily reserved for local public uni graduates, which some racial quotas and that along with it (or so my dad says something about Bumiputra things). I'm not sure how it works for dent, but if the medical grads can't even find internship positions to get their registration completed, let alone transfer that degree to Australia, I'm hesitant to even consider it as an option for Dentistry.

Toki

Lurker
Hi, my grandfather lives in Malaysia. He knows of someone who studied in IMU and transferred to a partner school in UK. I think you would need to gain membership at the General Dental Council in UK first and then you can practice in Australia as part of their reciprocal arrangement. I can t give you any insight on the teaching at IMU sorry and it is expensive.

Unluckydude

Hi, my grandfather lives in Malaysia. He knows of someone who studied in IMU and transferred to a partner school in UK. I think you would need to gain membership at the General Dental Council in UK first and then you can practice in Australia as part of their reciprocal arrangement. I can t give you any insight on the teaching at IMU sorry and it is expensive.
It's not reciprocal. Australia recognises dent qualifications from the UK, but they treat Australian dent degrees as dent agrees from any other countries. That's why "this pathway to general registration is currently being reviewed by the (dental) Board.". You can see this on dental council's website. I don't think this pathway will last forever unless Australian dentists think they are inferior to British dentists.