Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Adelaide UAdel Medicine: Accommodation Discussion

theguy127

A lot of medical students stay at the village and there are regular events there, bbq, movie nights, cultural nights etc. I stay at urbanest north terrace and I don’t think there are any med students here. Urbanest tends to group students from the same uni/ age/ gender together though. So you’ll have a high chance that your room/ housemate will be from uoa too

That was quite informative. Thanks for that. Do you have any info about the residential colleges. I'm mainly looking into that at the moment due to the meals provided.

zzzyou

That was quite informative. Thanks for that. Do you have any info about the residential colleges. I'm mainly looking into that at the moment due to the meals provided.

That I’m not too sure, I’ve never heard of it before. But usually for first year students most people stay either at urbanest / the village to make some friends and then move out and rent a house together thereafter. You may wanna consider cooking your own meals if you stay in either of the above mentioned. Generally eating out is expensive compared to meals in sg, but cooking is definitely cheaper

Hey,
I'm a med student,
I currently stay at Lincoln College, a residential college.
While it is bit more pricey than staying outside, if you pack your lunch from college and eat most of your meals at college, it actually turns out to be quite worth it. Plus the convenience of it really takes the pressure off.
(Take a look at the scholarships offered to students applying for a place at the College. Eg. live in a smaller room, you are from a rural background, financial...)

Benefits of college are that you will really stick and gel with the other Med kids staying at the same college, plus you get the iconic living experience of living at a college (networking, socials, organised sports, music nights etc...)
Get to make friends with people who are NOT in your cohort. Very important, as the AHMS is away from the main campus, so it's already hard to make friends with non-crazy people. ;)
Especially with the Med and Dent cohort, the College runs special tutes and mentoring sessions to help the students with resources and teachings. It's very useful to get tips and resources from older years.
I'm not too sure if other accommodation options offer the same benefits.

Most people plan to stay 2 years living at college to get the Fresher (1st year) and Oldie (2nd yr +) experience, but some plan to stay more if they can get a scholarship/ become employed by College.

Don't worry about it being 'pretty hard to get into', as Colleges really want Med/Dent kids. The interview is more of a formality, and I guess checking to see if there are any really obvious red flags (should be fine assuming you passed the med interview).

The two main Colleges for med kids is Lincoln College and St Marks. St Anns and Aquinas have a few Med kids.
Both Lincoln and Marks are good, but I chose Lincoln cause it's cheaper, got more diversity, and I got a pretty good room offer there.

If you do end up going to Lincoln College, or go to Adelaide Uni next year, hit me up in the DMs.

Last edited:
Also,
St Marks has formal dinners (compulsory sit down dinners that last an hourish) a few times a week, which I heard can get a bit annoying.
Lincoln does have formal dinners about once a term. These are 'recommended' to attend.

theguy127

Hey Mario,

Appreciate you taking the time to give a thorough insight into Lincoln. I bet it’ll be pretty useful for those looking at residential colleges. As for me, I already applied and got into Lincoln so I look forward to meeting you. I don’t think I can send DMs yet so if you’d like to, just drop me a DM

zzzyou

Hi everyone, I’m looking for a female roommate for my friend who will be studying medicine at UOA next year. She’s planning to stay in urbanest, north terrace (bank street). A twin share studio at $235 all utilities included. Drop me a message if you’re interested :)

MrSmith

Lurker
Run Down of St Marks college

Hey
I’m a med student currently staying at St Marks College, another one of the residential colleges. If you are coming to study med or dent in Adelaide, I definitely recommended going to St Marks college, it was one of the best decisions I ever made.

College can seem a bit pricey initially, but St Marks really looks after you and they have a massive scholarship fund with 1/3 students getting a scholarship or financial aid from the college which ends up making it less expensive and really worth it. Also, the facilities are amazing and if you look at the website, you will see the rooms which are quite nice with some of them being airconditioned and come with a tv (I had one of these in 2019 and I was a first year). You will see the gym which would give Good Life a run for its money and the 5 storey underground secure car park which is something none of the other colleges have.

Some of my best friends are my college ones and it’s amazing meeting and living with all these new people from different places and degrees which you otherwise wouldn’t be able to as the med/dent school is quite isolated from the main uni campus. Plus, you get really close to the other med students staying at college and support each other throughout the year. Living so close to the med school/dent school and uni makes it so convenient and the colleges are in North Adelaide which is right in the city making everything walking distance.

The college has an academic program for every degree, so for medicine and dentistry, they run tutorials and support you throughout the year and there are older students to help guide you as well. Trust me the support college gives you makes uni so much easier for you and you feel way more prepared when you have your uni classes because they have already gone through everything with you at college.

The experience of living at college is what sets it apart from all the other accommodation options. Having all your meals provided for you and your room cleaned each week takes the pressure off particularly when moving to Uni for the first time and makes the university experience that much better. There is always something to do with things happening every week from music nights and social events to college sport where you compete against all the other colleges in around 12 sports throughout the year. The best part is just hanging out with your mates and your floor (you live on a floor with 14-20 other people). The other good part is that nothing is compulsory, and you can pick and choose what you would like to do which makes St Marks feel very inclusive and a place for everyone.

Someone mentioned that we have formal dinners that are compulsory and this is incorrect as you can attend if you would like and if you end up missing it the kitchen will leave you a plate of dinner in the late meals room which is really handy. You can also pack a lunch in the event you are going miss lunch at college.

It’s very easy to get into the colleges as someone said previously, they really want medical/dental students and the interview is just a formality and ends up being an informal chat just to make sure there are no big issues.

Have a look at the other colleges, but I do recommend St Marks because the experience I’ve had has been amazing which is why I’m coming back to college for another year in 2020.

Hope this gave a bit of a run down about St Marks and send me a message if you have any questions or coming to St Marks this year

MrSmith

Lurker

Just searched up St Marks College Adelaide and all this sexual harrassment and bullying comes up. It was covered by Channel 9 on TV in 2018

I don't know what happened in the past and the story definitely isn't reflective of time at St Marks college when I moved there in 2019. I understand the college is a much different place now with huge steps taken forward to make the college the most welcoming, supportive and inclusive environment for all. I've had the most amazing time last year and coupled with the great if not best facilities of all the colleges it ticks all the boxes. I wouldn't be recommending St Marks if I myself didn't think it was a safe, welcoming and supportive environment which it is and that's why I am returning to St Marks for 2020.

Hey guys, is making friends easy as a dark skinned Indian, like when I first start living there will people approach me and ask Hi, How you doing, what is the course you're doing,etc, or will I have to take the first step? I'm asking cause I'm usually the sort of person that keeps to myself, but I want to get the best out of my university experience. And are there many cases of insults/abuse towards dark skinned kids?

ponyswordz

UAdel BDS (2020-2024)
Valued Member
Hey guys! Just wanted to ask if anyone from Adelaide Med or Dent have found any forms of accommodation yet and what types did they choose? I tried out for UoA Village (already booked out) which then referred me to Urbanest at UoA which apparently has really bad reviews and a 10%ish return rate due to factors such as not listening to student concerns and charging students excessively for broken equipment when reported to them (even if they were already broken prior to students arriving). I have considered the four colleges and have yet to receive any reply from them. Any info would be awesome.

PS: Understandably, most people studying at UoA here are in Med or Dent but I am also very interested in forming a social circle outside of these professions to diversify my insights and perspectives of others from a non-healthcare perspective :)

Hey guys! Just wanted to ask if anyone from Adelaide Med or Dent have found any forms of accommodation yet and what types did they choose? I tried out for UoA Village (already booked out) which then referred me to Urbanest at UoA which apparently has really bad reviews and a 10%ish return rate due to factors such as not listening to student concerns and charging students excessively for broken equipment when reported to them (even if they were already broken prior to students arriving). I have considered the four colleges and have yet to receive any reply from them. Any info would be awesome.

PS: Understandably, most people studying at UoA here are in Med or Dent but I am also very interested in forming a social circle outside of these professions to diversify my insights and perspectives of others from a non-healthcare perspective :)
I’m staying at Lincoln college. I think at this point your best shot would be to call all the colleges and explain your situation - from your post history, I can see that you’re moving to Adelaide from Sydney and will be studying dentistry. Hopefully they’ll be able to find you a spot, or put you high on the waiting list. Best of luck!

ponyswordz

UAdel BDS (2020-2024)
Valued Member
I’m staying at Lincoln college. I think at this point your best shot would be to call all the colleges and explain your situation - from your post history, I can see that you’re moving to Adelaide from Sydney and will be studying dentistry. Hopefully they’ll be able to find you a spot, or put you high on the waiting list. Best of luck!
I have just received notice from Dr Paul Tsoch to do a brief phone interview with him so hopefully one of the colleges accept me at least haha :p

Last edited:

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
I have just received notice from Dr Paul Tsoch to do a brief phone interview with him so hopefully one of the colleges accept me at least haha :p

I did that with Paul Tosch and it was very friendly and accommodating and he told me just about instantly that he would shoot me over and application. if your a med/dent student Lincoln will take you.

MrSmith

Lurker

Have a look at St Marks as well, if you are doing Med or Dent you'll definitely get an offer. Plus they are really good with scholarships and financial assistance, 50% of students get a scholarship from the college.

Alimea

To all those studying med at Adelaide uni, is anyone staying at St Ann’s? Would love to get to know other med students

JCS

Lurker
hello, i'm trying to post a thread to find a housemate too, but i have insufficient privileges, what does that mean?