Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UQ UQ Dentistry: Admissions General Discussion

Caffeine

Also of note , should be for tertiary applicants a 7 does not suffice as it is only equivalent to a 99.90 . If the adjusted atar is 99.95 then tertiary applicants without bonus points would not be competitive regardless of their gpa.

Also of note , should be for tertiary applicants a 7 does not suffice as it is only equivalent to a 99.90 . If the adjusted atar is 99.95 then tertiary applicants without bonus points would not be competitive regardless of their gpa.
A perfect 7 is a 99.95, a 99.90 would be a 6.88 for uq students or a 6.90 for other students.

hd1234567

Just wanted to share my bit.Tertiary applicant with a gpa of 6.4 and ucat score of 3150 (98%). Originally thought that with one year of tertiary education and rural background, I'll end up with a selection rank of 99. Didn't receive an offer and after calling many times. I finally got hold of someone from uq. They said that because in term 1 where due to covid, unsw decided to do the pass/fail grading system. They can't take into factor the three units I did therefore I technically didn't do a whole year of tertiary study. Staff member said I ended up with a 98.5 selection rank.

Unluckydude

Since you're a tertiary student, you don't get bonus points and therefore the statement holds true for you: you must get a 99.95 ATAR (or equivalent, which would be a 7 GPA) WITHOUT bonus points (since you don't get any) in order to get an offer.

For fresh high school leavers doing subjects like LOTE grants bonus points, conferring them a massive advantage in this respect.
I feel like it's quite unfair for non-standard applicants. Aren't subjects like LOTE already get scaled up by a lot? It would make more sense if they have a separate pool for non-standards. But at least they non-standards have a chance unlike most medical schools in Australia..............

yeezyboy

I’m not sure how this doesn’t make sense though, it is stated the ATAR is used first as the selection criteria then followed by UCAT to differentiate those with the same initial ranking.
Because there were probably more than 34 99.95 ranks, then between them they are differentiated on UCAT score.
The 99 from previous years is because QLD didn’t do .XX ranks. but the criteria changed as they moved to ATARS, and can now differentiate between 99-99.95.
I would think that the adjusted vs unadjusted would apply to those who achieved 99.95 with and without adjustment points, all of which are higher than anything below 99.95, etc a 99.95 adjusted is higher than an unadjusted 99.90.

I’m not sure how this doesn’t make sense though, it is stated the ATAR is used first as the selection criteria then followed by UCAT to differentiate those with the same initial ranking.
Because there were probably more than 34 99.95 ranks, then between them they are differentiated on UCAT score.
The 99 from previous years is because QLD didn’t do .XX ranks. but the criteria changed as they moved to ATARS, and can now differentiate between 99-99.95.
I would think that the adjusted vs unadjusted would apply to those who achieved 99.95 with and without adjustment points, all of which are higher than anything below 99.95, etc a 99.95 adjusted is higher than an unadjusted 99.90.

Last edited:

Unluckydude

I think people are confused because qwertyuiop123 said "When i called them, they said that they will consider unadjusted 99.00+ before adjusted 99.00+" and their website states "applicants who achieve an ATAR or selection rank of 99.00 or above without adjustments will be considered before applicants who achieve a selection rank of 99.00 or above after adjustments are added." It implies that unadjusted 99.0 should be higher than adjusted someone who got 98.95 and got adjusted to 99.95.

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
Keep in mind the uni isn't obligated to keep options for non-standard. There's no real argument that its 'unfair to non standards' therefore the uni needs to review it.

Personally, I dont think their selection method is very valid. It needs an interview and a hurdle on ATAR, but you cant appeal on the grounds of being unfair.

Keep in mind the uni isn't obligated to keep options for non-standard. There's no real argument that its 'unfair to non standards' therefore the uni needs to review it.

Personally, I dont think their selection method is very valid. It needs an interview and a hurdle on ATAR, but you cant appeal on the grounds of being unfair.

Last edited:

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
I think people are confused because qwertyuiop123 said "When i called them, they said that they will consider unadjusted 99.00+ before adjusted 99.00+" and their website states "applicants who achieve an ATAR or selection rank of 99.00 or above without adjustments will be considered before applicants who achieve a selection rank of 99.00 or above after adjustments are added." It implies that unadjusted 99.0 should be higher than adjusted someone who got 98.95 and got adjusted to 99.95.

Yeah but which stage is this applied. Ranking unadjusted before adjusted could mean that not a single adjusted gets an offer, or that only one will miss out at the very cut off score.

Generally, admissions staff dont consider the wide effects of these minute details can make,

yeah I called them again and a different person clarified. they will consider 99.95 unadjusted and then adjusted. so a 99.9 unadjusted is lower than a 99.95 adjusted. it makes it incredibly hard for non standards to compete. with regards to appeals or reviews to the process, they said if any change was going to happen it would only apply to 2022 intake

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
Isn't it grounds for discrimination though? Because they are favouring certain applicants.
Is it grounds for discrimination that the medicine course selects applicants with higher atars? because their discriminating against low atar applicants?

No. You aren't entitled to a dentistry position.

Reminds me of this video.

yeezyboy

yeah I was going through that with QTAC and UQ before my results came out and I was worried I wouldn’t achieve the max grade being a 99.95. It does seem unfair for non standards for sure, but a lot of things with university admissions don’t convert favourably too. E.g, my SAT score in NSW converts to a 99.4 but in WA it’s a 99 max atar. So I do understand the situation for the non standards too, which is something I find unfair definitely. I just felt attacked a teeeny bit and like I didn’t deserve the offer with people trying to appeal the system.