Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

USyd USyd Medicine: Provisional Entry Questions and General Discussion

frays

Hi LeSpicyGinger,
Thank you so much for your reply! Just one more question, how long did it take for the written component? and the panel discussion?
Hi yolo! I'm not LeSpicyGinger but I also participated in the USyd interviews. The timing of the written component and panel discussion was outlined in the interview offer email. The written component was 30 mins exactly and the panel discussion was about 45 minutes - our group only took like 35 minutes so we just hung around and chatted for about 10 mins.

yolo_

Thank you for your reply Frays!
Hi yolo! I'm not LeSpicyGinger but I also participated in the USyd interviews. The timing of the written component and panel discussion was outlined in the interview offer email. The written component was 30 mins exactly and the panel discussion was about 45 minutes - our group only took like 35 minutes so we just hung around and chatted for about 10 mins.

novobo

Is the panel discussion still in groups on zoom this year? If so does everyone gets asked the same questions and take a turn to speak?
Also, did you get asked any ethical scenarios, covid related questions, etc?
Yes it was on zoom and was done in small groups. And yes the interviewer just threw out one question and cued everyone to take turns to speak.

Be prepared for ethical scenarios (although these are usually the easier ones). I’m not sure about Covid questions but I doubt if usyd would ask anything specific like that (same as the abortion / euthanasia topics)

Hope that helps :3

yolo_

Yes it was on zoom and was done in small groups. And yes the interviewer just threw out one question and cued everyone to take turns to speak.

Be prepared for ethical scenarios (although these are usually the easier ones). I’m not sure about Covid questions but I doubt if usyd would ask anything specific like that (same as the abortion / euthanasia topics)

Hope that helps :3
Hi Novobo, thank you for ur help! Hope to see you in the near future :D

D

Deleted member 42871

Hi,

I didn't put USyd in my preference in first round as was not expecting 99.95 but got 99.95. Now I have put Usyd as first preference in UAC for secons round. There are total 30 places, do we know how many places would be available for 2nd round and how many candidates approx, 1:2 ratio or more than that? I sure few 99.95 would accept unsw and wouldn't accept usyd.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hi,

I didn't put USyd in my preference in first round as was not expecting 99.95 but got 99.95. Now I have put Usyd as first preference in UAC for secons round. There are total 30 places, do we know how many places would be available for 2nd round and how many candidates approx, 1:2 ratio or more than that? I sure few 99.95 would accept unsw and wouldn't accept usyd.

Do USyd do another round of interviews? I wasn’t aware of that. USyd don’t have to fill declined places as they can just offer more graduate entry spots to the corresponding cohort. They may do, I don’t know for sure, it’s just that they don’t have to because it’s a provisional entry course.

Congrats on your ATAR.

ucatboy

final year eek
Valued Member
Hi,

Did you sit the interview? I'm not sure about USyd's policy on late preference additions but we don't have much data on later round offers sorry.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Did you sit the interview? I'm not sure about USyd's policy on late preference additions but we don't have much data on later round offers sorry.
I’m assuming they didn’t do the interview as they didn’t have USyd in their preferences so wouldn’t have been contacted. I haven’t heard of USyd doing a second round of invites but maybe they do when IB is released?

D

Deleted member 42871

Second round assessment/interview day is 18th of Jan. I am told to add usyd as 1st preference by 10th of Jan 2021, below is the timeline

• Sun 10 January 2021: Close of adding the BSc/MD as a preference to be considered for the Assessment on 18 January 2021
  • Mon 18 January 2021: Online assessment day - assessment dates are not negotiable and eligible candidates must attend the first assessment day after the release of their ATAR (or other secondary education qualification) results.Click here for more information.
Hopefully, I would be invited for the 2nd round interview. Usyd was not in my preference for the first round

novobo

So they are doing a second round interview for sure :0
I’m not sure how it works anymore... This is confusing because I know there were people in the waiting list who would hopefully move up if others declined the first time offer.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
So they are doing a second round interview for sure :0
I’m not sure how it works anymore... This is confusing because I know there were people in the waiting list who would hopefully move up if others declined the first time offer.

Yes, they are, and it’s likely they always have done due to the date of IB release at a minimum.

mgc

did uSyd call in the afternoon after the interview this year no matter offer or not?

tl;dr don’t ever be underprepared for the written assessment as the responses could be the only thing marked

Speaking from personal experience this year (altho I somewhat think that this only applies to the current year due to COVID), the ‘interview’ section, which was actually called a ‘faculty discussion’, is nowhere near an actual interview.

(Disclaimer: There could be changes in upcoming years, I cannot guarantee :3)

Our interviewer explicitly told us that this discussion would “not be marked or anything like that” and was just a “chat”. Although can’t deny that she seemed to be constantly writing things down, I highly suspect on the importance / necessity of the interview. The admission staff actually only had one afternoon to assess roughly 50 written responses (as they had to call for offers / rejections on the day), there should not be any time to go back to the interview recordings and check on each candidate’s performance.

So it was most likely that everything was based on the written assesssment!! My Google doc was very unresponsive when I was typing so I panicked for quite a bit, and didn’t even get to finish a question as it was quite time pressured :/
Hi, did you receive the phone call from uSyd after the interview?