Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UoO HSFY 2021

Hello!
I was wondering if anyone would be able to point me in the direction of general HSFY tips and/or paper specific advice (relevant for 2021)?

Thank you!

mani

I've just bought a whole bunch of second hand books (supposedly the essential ones) and from looking on the University Book Shop website they recommend a fourth edition book, whereas I have the second edition. Will this cause much of an issue? Or is a 2nd edition vs 4th edition a huge difference meaning I basically wasted my $$$?

Oops just saw your message now lol. I'll just write up everything until the semester ended so anyone who's interested can see. Lecture hours also include tutorial time. I filled in what I was doing every 15mins. There were other hours spent at meals, exercise, and social time that I didn't add in here. The hours I spent get pretty ridiculous, please DON'T spend 10 hours a day doing schoolwork, I think it messed up my vision and I burnt myself out for 2nd sem. Because of COVID I also had extra time because mealtimes were limited by my hall and I couldn't go talk to people haha.

these week numbers might have started one week in, not 100% surehours studyhours freehours lecturehours lab
Week 115.539.2513.50
Week 214.53016.756.25
Week 312.2528.7519.255.5
Week 414.252418.256
Week 5 (lectures cancelled due to covid for a few days here i think)7.75348.750.5
Week 630.7523.25162
Week 7 (midsem break - not all days were filled out)9.513.75*18.54.25
Week 827.517.520.257.75
Week 929.527.7514.50.5
Week 1032.2517.2519.267.5
Week 1143.255.516.251.5
Week 1239.753.7516.758
Week 1344.252.522.752
Week 14 (2 exams)59.259.759.750
Week 15 (3 days not filled out after last exam finishes)33.754.25*8.250
Hey Fatcat, would you be willing to share your notes for the hsfy papers? I'm doing hsfy this year and am interested in seeing what the notes look like. Would really appreciate it :) and also some ucat tips please!

fatcat

Hey Fatcat, would you be willing to share your notes for the hsfy papers? I'm doing hsfy this year and am interested in seeing what the notes look like. Would really appreciate it :) and also some ucat tips please!
I actually didn't end up taking notes after the first few weeks haha, it didn't work for me. I made all the lecture slides into flashcards using quizlet. Someone else might be of more help if you want to see what worked for them :).

As for UCAT, (content removed by mod - it’s not a completely free resource). Just practice, you'll be OK honestly, the thresholds are very manageable. No need to stress :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually didn't end up taking notes after the first few weeks haha, it didn't work for me. I made all the lecture slides into flashcards using quizlet. Someone else might be of more help if you want to see what worked for them :).

As for UCAT, (content removed by mod - it’s not a completely free resource). Just practice, you'll be OK honestly, the thresholds are very manageable. No need to stress :D
Ah okay thank you so much! You're grades were phenomenal and definitely an inspiration for me. One more question though, I noticed you did MAOR102 as an optional 8th paper. Do you think it's a good paper to take to boost up the grades?

fatcat

Ah okay thank you so much! You're grades were phenomenal and definitely an inspiration for me. One more question though, I noticed you did MAOR102 as an optional 8th paper. Do you think it's a good paper to take to boost up the grades?
That's cool to hear, I took it with all the COVID stuff going on which meant it was 100% internally assessed (no exams) so what it might look like this year could be different. I hear people take stats for an 8th paper as it is all MCQs therefore it's possible to get a perfect 100%, whereas MAOR has an essay meaning it's more unlikely to get 100%. It's probably best to play to your own strengths, eg if you are more competent in english rich subjects MAOR might be a better choice for you. IMO the things you learn from MAOR are more applicable/relevant in a job setting for the health science pathways, if that's important to you. Personally I chose MAOR because it interested me, and I thought it was important for a healthcare worker in NZ to know about Maori culture and society, so if you really have no preference I would recommend it for that reason. I would say it's fairly likely to get a better grade in MAOR than POPH, so taking it will probably bump your grade average up vs taking no 8th paper at all.

Hey guys, I was wondering why so many people find CHEM191 hard. Is it cause there’s a lot of content to learn or is it the difficulty of concepts? Or people just don’t spend much time on it to study for the other papers?

mideasyrole

Hey guys, I was wondering why so many people find CHEM191 hard. Is it cause there’s a lot of content to learn or is it the difficulty of concepts? Or people just don’t spend much time on it to study for the other papers?
I feel like CHEM191 requires you to understand the content more than other first sem papers like CELS191 where just remembering what's on the lecture slides is sufficient.

qwq777

Hello, 2021 student here. I was looking for some course outline and preferably lectures for the first semester courses:

CHEM191
HUBS191
PHSI191

Any help and directions would be helpful.

If there are any med students who would be willing to pm so I could ask some questions about the courses, that'll be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Is there any previous HSFY Lurkers on here who have some Anki decks on cels and hubs they'd be willing to let this poor mature student peruse over? Cheers!

swordfish

Hey guys, are the HSFY preliminary lectures compulsory/important? I'm planning to do the english diagnostic test then go back to chch for EA. I'm a grad doing health sci so I know how uni works pretty well, but is there any information I can only get from the lecture and won't be able to find online? Thanks

mideasyrole

Hey guys, are the HSFY preliminary lectures compulsory/important? I'm planning to do the english diagnostic test then go back to chch for EA. I'm a grad doing health sci so I know how uni works pretty well, but is there any information I can only get from the lecture and won't be able to find online? Thanks
I didn't go to the preliminary lectures for HSFY last year and didn't feel like I missed out on anything. All the important info such as exam info, lecture objectives can be found on Blackboard once lectures start.

Is there anyone who got into med/dent without using anki to revise papers like hubs? And if so how did you/others wrote learn everything? Any tips?? Thanks

tvkstel

Lurker
Is there anyone who got into med/dent without using anki to revise papers like hubs? And if so how did you/others wrote learn everything? Any tips?? Thanks
Hi
I got into med by making posters to cover stuff/concepts I didn’t know well. I would then go over past exams/info from labs or lectures and see exactly what I didn’t know off by heart and then try condense everything I didn’t know well for each paper onto an A4 piece of paper. My friend followed a similar method of making posters and she also got into med!

Heya, I was just wondering on the lecture objectives, is that all I need to know for exams or will I need to do more readings etc... to get higher marks?