Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

ANKI - How do I use it?

Perplex

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
I have discovered a frustrating thing in the way I've set my Anki cards up. I've made them all one deck, and I agree that this would work perfectly usually, however... I have core learning and rotation learning at the moment, and I've got both mixed into one deck. My mid-year exams are on core learning only, so I want to concentrate specifically on the cards that are from that content. Is there an easy way (perhaps using my tags?) to create a new deck from my current deck that only includes the core stuff?

Yep sure is! Go to "Create filtered deck" under the Tools bar. From there type 'tag:' and then your desired tags. This will create a filtered deck based off your core content :)

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Yep sure is! Go to "Create filtered deck" under the Tools bar. From there type 'tag:' and then your desired tags. This will create a filtered deck based off your core content :)

AMAZING!! Thank you!

TKAO this could be useful info for you, too? Thank you for your reply, too! Fortunately, the way I have tagged the cards currently will make what Perplex has suggested doable.

TKAO

oowah!
Valued Member
AMAZING!! Thank you!

TKAO this could be useful info for you, too? Thank you for your reply, too! Fortunately, the way I have tagged the cards currently will make what Perplex has suggested doable.
It's not necessarily something I need right now because I've separated out my decks into groups for the tests as a subheading under the units so I never really needed to do this. I did have to use the method I talked about to change up some tags cause I spelt it wrong so I used that method.

Fili

Dentist 🦷
how many cards do you averagely create on a busy year?

Depends on what papers I did e.g. anatomy has more cards than biochemistry etc. Usually, each semester is ~2-3k cards.

First year I had like ~5.5k.
Second year I had ~6.6k.
Third year ~4.5k (even with summer school since there's less wrote learning and harder concepts).

This year I have ~8.8k.

helipad

Lurker
there’s no seperate quota.
hey LMG!, I didn't know how to contact you but had a question that I didn't know where to ask.
For HSFY, CHEM191 and PHSI191 should i make anki notes for them (e.g concepts or make a mind map or something) can't find a way to remember for physics or chem, as cels and hubs is just memorisation

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
hey LMG!, I didn't know how to contact you but had a question that I didn't know where to ask.
For HSFY, CHEM191 and PHSI191 should i make anki notes for them (e.g concepts or make a mind map or something) can't find a way to remember for physics or chem, as cels and hubs is just memorisation
I have no clue about any HSFY content as I've never studied that stream of courses. An NZ-based student may be able to offer more helpful recommendations.

rustyedges

Anki is great for CELS and HUBS where you need to rote learn a lot of facts. For chemistry and physics, it would be fine to use Anki for learning some of the facts, but most of the examinable material is the problem solving type content (even more so for physics), and I believe the best way to study this is practice questions and old exams. I would go as far to say that you can get a very high mark in physics studying solely previous exam papers.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
I would just like to take this opportunity to report that, for the first time in this entire degree, and in time for my very last set of written exams, I am finally and consistently up to date with my ANKI deck revision :chill:

drum99

UoA MBChB III
I would just like to take this opportunity to report that, for the first time in this entire degree, and in time for my very last set of written exams, I am finally and consistently up to date with my ANKI deck revision :chill:
Amazing work LMG! I've been using Anki quite a bit but something I've struggled with sometimes is large review numbers each day. How many reviews per day are you doing approx to keep it sustainable? Also I'm curious as to how you identify high yield information to even put into Anki in the first place. Cheers!

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Amazing work LMG! I've been using Anki quite a bit but something I've struggled with sometimes is large review numbers each day. How many reviews per day are you doing approx to keep it sustainable? Also I'm curious as to how you identify high yield information to even put into Anki in the first place. Cheers!
My current deck is approximately 500-600 cards and I'm reviewing them all once per day (sometimes twice). Keep in mind that I'm currently on study week and have taken time off work so I have more time than I really know what to do with! Anki cards are stopping me from raiding the fridge every 5 minutes :D This would NOT be sustainable (and hasn't been in previous years for me, clearly!) when I'm actively on placement and working at the same time.

I have largely used past exam papers to guide the content of my current deck as I'm really only using it for this last exam. Anki is not how I learn best in general, but I find it useful for the content you really just have to memorise, so I've found it particularly good for microbio, pharm, anatomy, etc.

I've also tried not to get carried away this time. I have decks from previous years that are much bigger than this one and they have become way too overwhelming and full of unnecessary rubbish. I really tried to be more deliberate for this deck. It is literally aimed at passing my final exams and nothing else!

StevenStrange

JCU MBBS3
Not entirely sure that this is the space to ask, but does anyone have any specific decks for JCU Med they would be willing to share? I've made my own in sem 1 year 1 and sem 2 year 2, but found it very very time consuming.

F

footballcake

Hi guys. [Deleted by mod] Or is it mainly anki?

Additionally, do you use Anki for anat too?

Last edited by a moderator:

drum99

UoA MBChB III
Hi guys. Just wanting to know if [removed] comes into your study techniques at all? Or is it mainly anki?

Additionally, do you use Anki for anat too?
Image Occlusion for anatomy is awesome. There are some fantastic pre-made anatomy Anki decks to use too. Yokonatomy is a great which syncs up nicely with the textbook it's based off.

[removed]

Last edited by a moderator:

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
I personally have never used Anki. It just doesn’t work for me. Not to say it won’t work well for you, but it’s definitely not essential to use to do well in the degree.

Last edited:

F

footballcake

Would anyone in the Australian med system be willing to share their Anki decks? I am first week first year (so specifically year 1 and 2). I have found Anking however it is a bit too overwhelming

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Would anyone in the Australian med system be willing to share their Anki decks? I am first week first year (so specifically year 1 and 2). I have found Anking however it is a bit too overwhelming
I know it’s really overwhelming to start with, I was completely bamboozled initially, but it doesn’t take too much to get the hang of it and making your own cards is a good portion of the learning.

If you’re determined to inherit a deck, I’d strongly advise finding someone at your uni so you at least know the content is largely relevant.

Beware, with inherited decks, you’re also possibly inheriting someone else’s errors (though it’s also possible to make decks yourself with random errors, so I guess this is just one of those things you have to accept when human error is a possibility).

If you have more questions, feel free to ask here. There’s usually someone around with Anki experience who is willing to help. And make sure you have a read through of things already posted. There are some useful tips in there.