Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Choosing Between Universities and Offers

Can someone please explain how Adelaide makes this pretty late top-up offer unbonded - i.e. it leapfrogs ~40 BMP places?

As already mentioned Adelaide is one year shorter. But given you're hoping to branch into a NSW school I would do UQ if I were you since Adelaide would shut out this avenue. (Btw I'm not mad keen on locking myself to a busy worklife a year earlier :) )
The only reason I didn't get a bonded offer was because I didn't list bonded in my preferences on SATAC - meaning I only got an offer once my ranking reached the CSP position.

A1

Rookie Doc
The only reason I didn't get a bonded offer was because I didn't list bonded in my preferences on SATAC - meaning I only got an offer once my ranking reached the CSP position.
That makes sense. I'm not sure whether parmesan_12345 only applied for unbonded though.

jayson

(I originally sent this question to A1, but I realised that this would be a better place to post it).

I'm in a bit of a pickle right now in regards to choosing a medical school. I received a CSP offer to the University of Queensland's provisional medicine program, which I enrolled in. Two days after I moved to Queensland (today), Adelaide university sent me a CSP offer for their medical program, giving me only two days to accept. Adelaide is ostensibly the better choice, given the integrated nature of the degree and its shorter length, but a few issues are giving me pause.

1. Due to the provisional nature of UQ's program, I have a three year window in which to reapply to NSW universities via the UCAT or GAMSAT. I would prefer to study in my home state as I love my neighbourhood and greatly value my family and friends here.

2. Several of my friends are also going to study at Queensland University. Aside from the company they would provide, we will likely organise shared living, reducing the costs of moving interstate.

3. I am settling into Brisbane quite well, enjoy the city and university, and have become acquainted with a few students who are doing provisional medicine/ are looking to take the GAMSAT.

Given my situation, would you recommend that I proceed with my current plans, or should I cancel my UQ enrolment and sign up to Adelaide?
For your information,this year there are 5 students got offer from UNSW,1 student got offer from WSU 1 student got offer from University of Newcastle .These 7 students are all from Uq provisional medicine.

moufou

Can I cancel the first offer if I accepted an offer from the university
and later got an offer from the university I would like to go to?

moufou

The only part I can chip in on: CSP at Griffith requires a close to 7.00 GPA at the end of the undergrad component. ~6.60-70 got BMP.
How difficulty to get 7.00 GPA? I know it depends on my efforts but would like to know how many percentage of provisional students make it successfully

A1

Rookie Doc
How difficulty to get 7.00 GPA? I know it depends on my efforts but would like to know how many percentage of provisional students make it successfully
LMG!'s comment was based on the info posted on MSO that a Griffith provisional student got bonded with GPA 6.60-6.70. Bonded means bottom 28.5% of the cohort, also means 71.5% of the cohort achieved better & got unbonded.

moufou

LMG!'s comment was based on the info posted on MSO that a Griffith provisional student got bonded with GPA 6.60-6.70. Bonded means bottom 28.5% of the cohort, also means 71.5% of the cohort achieved better & got unbonded.
Sorry, my bad. A1
I was supposed to ask how many percentage of provisional entry students successfully get into the Doctor of Medicine every year.

Provisional entry into the Griffith Doctor of Medicine program​

Completion of the Bachelor of Medical Science program with a GPA of at least 5.0 will see graduates gain seamless entry into the Doctor of Medicine (5099).

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
I was supposed to ask how many percentage of provisional entry students successfully get into the Doctor of Medicine every year.
Pretty much 100%. I’ve never heard of a student failing to progress to the MD when they had provisional entry aside from them choosing to change career paths.

moufou

Pretty much 100%. I’ve never heard of a student failing to progress to the MD when they had provisional entry aside from them choosing to change career paths.
Does it apply to other universities for the provisional entry as well? Just wondering how stressfull if going through the provisional one

Person

Does it apply to other universities for the provisional entry as well? Just wondering how stressful if going through the provisional one
I haven't heard of anyone that missed out at UQ. A gpa 5 (which is the hurdle at most of the provisional places) is generally considered very achievable. I think if you've gotten the results in school to get a provisional offer, keeping a 5.0 shouldn't be an issue, assuming you don't start slacking off in uni. So i would probably say 99% of all provisional students regardless of the uni make it through to the MD.

DanielG28

Hi, sorry if this question has already been answered but i'm a grade 12 student who lives in Capalaba and i'm wondering which university i should go to. Currently i have a decent shot at getting a 99.95 or close ATAR alongside a good UCAT score and i am wondering how i should order my QTAC preferences and what med school would be best for me. I have mainly been considering Gold coast Griffith and UQ because they are both reasonably close to home but i'm not sure which one would be best and if there are any other better options. I would really appreciate some input or any thoughts on the matter.

A1

Rookie Doc
I have mainly been considering Gold coast Griffith and UQ because they are both reasonably close to home but i'm not sure which one would be best
A 99.85+ would practically assure a Griffith offer but not so for UQ - you'll still need good UCAT and interview.

UQ is 7 years, Griffith is 6 years but you won't know whether unbonded or bonded until end of 2nd year. If QTAC allows separate pref entries for UQ unbonded/bonded I suggest you put UQ unbonded 1st, Griffith 2nd, UQ bonded last.

and if there are any other better options
Other options mean Townsville for JCU or moving interstate, are you open to that?

chinaski

There is no "best", only what is "best for you". As such, you need to think about what matters to you, rather than looking for an external benchmark upon which to base your choices.

DanielG28

Other options mean Townsville for JCU or moving interstate, are you open to that?
Yeah ill probably stick to either Griffith or UQ so i don't have to leave home.
If QTAC allows separate pref entries for UQ unbonded/bonded
I'll try to find this out.
Also i have a couple of random questions if anyone knows the answers.
1. Is it's possible to get a full scholarship to bond and if so would that be preferable over Griffith and UQ due to the reduced time?
2. I want to be an orthopaedic surgeon so that that effect the choice or Griffith vs UQ (does one offer more relevant clinical training)?
3. Once you complete your degree if there much/any difference in how hard it is to get a job in certain hospitals, if so would wanting to be an orthopaedic surgeon mean i should pick a certain Uni so i can get into a certain hospital?
4. If you get really good results are there any scholarships you can go for (primarily at Griffith, UQ and Bond)?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Yeah ill probably stick to either Griffith or UQ so i don't have to leave home.

I'll try to find this out.
Also i have a couple of random questions if anyone knows the answers.
1. Is it's possible to get a full scholarship to bond and if so would that be preferable over Griffith and UQ due to the reduced time?
2. I want to be an orthopaedic surgeon so that that effect the choice or Griffith vs UQ (does one offer more relevant clinical training)?
3. Once you complete your degree if there much/any difference in how hard it is to get a job in certain hospitals, if so would wanting to be an orthopaedic surgeon mean i should pick a certain Uni so i can get into a certain hospital?
4. If you get really good results are there any scholarships you can go for (primarily at Griffith, UQ and Bond)?

The scholarships will be detailed on the relevant university’s website for you to research yourself and identify eligibility criteria.

chinaski

No, and no.

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
To add to chinaski the reason why it doesnt matter is that in QLD (and every state bar VIC), is that interns are allocated on a ballot system to hospitals. Its from there where you form connections and references that make the bulk of your selection into training schemes. If you want to train in QLD, any QLD university will give you the same chances.

I wouldnt go to bond if you dont have to tbh. No scholarship like that exists afaik, and like all scholarships they are likely conditional. If you don't meet that you would be on the hook for the whole 400k tuition.

Alot of the MedFac scholarships are for MD students, not the provisionals, but there are plenty of undergrad scholarships, which you could most likely get for the ug portion of the program. MD scholarships/prizes are usually awarded on entry to the program

Last edited: