Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UoA Graduate Category Chat/Enquiry

spongebae

Lurker
Hi, this is my first time posting here 😅. So I finished with a BSc Hons and after gaining some work experience in medical labs, I feel the desire to pursue a more meaningful work in medicine, however I'm not too sure even my hons GPA would be in the "safe" for cut off for interviews. But I just wanted to ask whether the GPA from an hons degree is weighed differently against an undergrad degree and if it's worth forking out that $$$ for the UCAT this year or complete my masters instead.

Bootleg

Hi, this is my first time posting here 😅. So I finished with a BSc Hons and after gaining some work experience in medical labs, I feel the desire to pursue a more meaningful work in medicine, however I'm not too sure even my hons GPA would be in the "safe" for cut off for interviews. But I just wanted to ask whether the GPA from an hons degree is weighed differently against an undergrad degree and if it's worth forking out that $$$ for the UCAT this year or complete my masters instead.
For UoA, they will only look at your hons GPA for both interview and final admission. But in terms of weighting they are the same for undergrad and postgrad degree (they are looked at the same), so for example, a 8 GPA in a undergrad bachelors is equivalent to a 8GPA in post grad.

Usually a 8GPA will be sufficient enough in securing a interview, but it may not be enough to gain a offer of place. That is, for a 8GPA to gain a offer, it would usually require a very good UCAT score , and an above average interview score.

For reference, someone on MSO last year had a UCAT score in the 87th percentile, a GPA of 8.3 and still got declined (as their interview score was below average).

With regards to whether you should UCAT or not, I would say sit it anyways, it always better to sit than not (if you have the money); good practice.

I hope this helps!

Last edited:

spongebae

Lurker
For UoA, they will only look at your hons GPA for both interview and final admission. But in terms of weighting they are the same for undergrad and postgrad degree (they are looked at the same), so for example, a 8 GPA in a undergrad bachelors is equivalent to a 8GPA in post grad.

Usually a 8GPA will be sufficient enough in securing a interview, but it may not be enough to gain a offer of place. That is, for a 8GPA to gain a offer, it would usually require a very good UCAT score , and an above average interview score.

For reference, someone on MSO last year had a UCAT score in the 87th percentile, a GPA of 8.3 and still got declined (as their interview score was below average).

With regards to whether you should UCAT or not, I would say sit it anyways, it always better to sit than not (if you have the money); good practice.

I hope this helps!
Thanks man, that really helps a lot! Those standards sounds crazy high, poor guy.

But you're right, might as well just try out anyway. Thanks for your help!

Sebzy

Are there any categories you can apply for? My advice is to try regardless. Apply to both uni's, doubling your chance. Don't underestimate the importance of the MMI to increase your application. Good luck!

acbard9

Auckland MBChB
I've heard different things about how Situational Judgement (UCAT) will be used for 2022 Auckland postgrad entry. Could anybody clarify this for me?

Bootleg

I've heard different things about how Situational Judgement (UCAT) will be used for 2022 Auckland postgrad entry. Could anybody clarify this for me?
Where did you hear about UoA using SJT? I can't seem to find it anywhere on the website?

acbard9

Auckland MBChB
I had this preconceived notion that they did, and it may have been due to this: UCAT Test for MBChB Admissions (and this:) (mod note: prep platform content removed) (suggesting not just cognitive subtest scores are used?)

It's very likely I've misunderstood. I understand they have not been used in the past and there is no suggestion they are using it this year, but I would like to make sure! (That is, will it impact my Auckland application if I do poorly on it?)

I had this preconceived notion that they did, and it may have been due to this: UCAT Test for MBChB Admissions (and this:) How Will Medical Schools Use UCAT? Here's a Summary (suggesting not just cognitive subtest scores are used?)

It's very likely I've misunderstood. I understand they have not been used in the past and there is no suggestion they are using it this year, but I would like to make sure! (That is, will it impact my Auckland application if I do poorly on it?)
I think they haven't updated the message on the website as it was the same throughout last year about them using the total score for MBCHb Entry 2021. Like you mentioned, in the past section 5 for UCAT has not been used and I think generally a change of this sort would be planned in advance, and adequate information would be provided in advance. However, given some of the unpredictable times that we are in, this may not always be the case.

When people emailed FMHS at UoA last year about Section 5, they were informed that the 'total score' referred to actually sections 1-4. People just had to attempt section 5 from what was shared. This is just based on screenshots of an email last year and may not be 100% official. The reason why I think they don't count section 5 may be because of the overlap between Section 5 and the MMI. Some of the skills that Section 5 tests us on such as understanding of the profession for example is already incorporated into an interview question. I think the only way to be 100% sure though is perhaps to email FMHS ( [email protected])

All the best for the admission process and hopefully this was useful!

Bootleg

I had this preconceived notion that they did, and it may have been due to this: UCAT Test for MBChB Admissions (and this:) How Will Medical Schools Use UCAT? Here's a Summary (suggesting not just cognitive subtest scores are used?)

It's hard to tell whether they will use it or not. They might make a rash decision and decide to use it for this year... who knows. If they were, they would update their website and inform us (hopefully!)

If they were to use it, they might adopt a similar approach to what Otago does. That is, if you are below the 10th percentile, then you would automatically be rejected from getting a interview invite? But that just pure speculation.

Some of the answers to SJT type questions are quite obvious in nature, also, you get partial marks if your answer is close to the right answer. So in my opinion, getting anything below the 10th percentile in SJT is actually quite hard to do.

nu1

Hi guys! I'm not too sure if this query has been answered before as I haven't gone through every post so far. I was wondering what the process and requirements for admission to UoA med (or Otago) is for someone who has completed their schooling and degree in Australia. I finished my psyc bachelors with honours at UQ and am currently doing a masters by coursework there. I am a NZ citizen if it makes a difference. Would appreciate some help on the matter 😅

Bootleg

Hi guys! I'm not too sure if this query has been answered before as I haven't gone through every post so far. I was wondering what the process and requirements for admission to UoA med (or Otago) is for someone who has completed their schooling and degree in Australia. I finished my psyc bachelors with honours at UQ and am currently doing a masters by coursework there. I am a NZ citizen if it makes a difference. Would appreciate some help on the matter 😅
Unfortunately, the way both Otago and Auckland have structured their MBChB entry would make you ineligible.

This is because regardless of whether you are a NZ citizen or not, for graduate entry, you must have done a degree at a recognized New Zealand University. Therefore, as your bachelors and masters are not completed/awarded by a New Zealand University, you will fail to meet the eligibility criteria.

014phalo

Unfortunately, the way both Otago and Auckland have structured their MBChB entry would make you ineligible.

This is because regardless of whether you are a NZ citizen or not, for graduate entry, you must have done a degree at a recognized New Zealand University. Therefore, as your bachelors and masters are not completed/awarded by a New Zealand University, you will fail to meet the eligibility criteria.
International entry pathway?

nu1

Ah right, makes sense. Thanks for the clarification!

Bunny230

Hey guys! Wanting to reapply for medicine at Auckland university after a 2 year academic hiatus. Just had a quick look through the entry requirements and it seems a few things have changed including the number of times we can apply under the graduate category...Can you only apply once under the graduate category now or am I mistaken?? Was under the impression you could apply twice maximum 😭

Hollyw28

BSc Biomed, PGDip Biomed, PGDip HSc, MBiomedSc
Hey guys! Wanting to reapply for medicine at Auckland university after a 2 year academic hiatus. Just had a quick look through the entry requirements and it seems a few things have changed including the number of times we can apply under the graduate category...Can you only apply once under the graduate category now or am I mistaken?? Was under the impression you could apply twice maximum 😭
It is once per qualifying degree. So once for your Bachelors, once for your PGDip if you do one, once for your Masters if you do one etc etc. It used to be that you could only apply twice regardless (most people would apply as a FY then later as a graduate then that would be it) but now you can technically apply more times so long as you have a new qualification. If you've already applied with your Bachelors you'll likely have to undertake a PGDip or Masters in order to apply again. I highly recommend doing a PGDip if you're not ready for research! It's one year (two semesters) of 700 level papers and they take your GPA from only that year, since it's a new qualification. Great way to start afresh with a new GPA

It is once per qualifying degree. So once for your Bachelors, once for your PGDip if you do one, once for your Masters if you do one etc etc. It used to be that you could only apply twice regardless (most people would apply as a FY then later as a graduate then that would be it) but now you can technically apply more times so long as you have a new qualification. If you've already applied with your Bachelors you'll likely have to undertake a PGDip or Masters in order to apply again. I highly recommend doing a PGDip if you're not ready for research! It's one year (two semesters) of 700 level papers and they take your GPA from only that year, since it's a new qualification. Great way to start afresh with a new GPA
Just to clarify, I applied after first year of BHSc but got rejected, after I complete my BHSc I am able to apply again right? Thanks for the help!

Also! I remember you from previous threads in which you were very helpful! Are you doing PGDipHSc now? Would love to hear how you found the first semester so far seeing as I am considering this pathway and don't know anyone in postgrad health science studies! Thank you :)