Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Post UCAT Discussion Thread 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Some questions to consider answering are suggested below. PLEASE NOTE: 'what are my chances of an interview invite/offer' questions WILL NOT be answered until OFFICIAL percentile ranks have been released and you have a clearer idea of your rough expected ATAR/GPA. A dedicated thread will be created for exactly that purpose at the appropriate time. This thread is just for general post-exam chatter.

Please keep in mind that specific information about questions will only benefit those who've yet to do the test! Do not post specific information here, it will be deleted.

And as is standard at present, no discussion of prep companies (de-identified or otherwise) is permitted.

Date completed:
Venue:
General thoughts on your results:
General comments on your experience:

Last edited:
I did my test today. Horrible. Rip.
Just wondering what percentile variances there are between years? It seems like the same score over multiple years is getting a lower and lower percentile, so would it continue into this year?
did you find the test hard? or did you not feel prepared?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
I did my test today. Horrible. Rip.
Just wondering what percentile variances there are between years? It seems like the same score over multiple years is getting a lower and lower percentile, so would it continue into this year?
This is only the third year of the test in Aus, so we only have two years to go on to date which isn't adequate to really make any meaningful comments on score trends (particularly given the obvious cohort difference between years 1 and 2 - ie. year 1 almost all test takers are taking the test for the very first time - a small minority may have done UKCAT previously, year 2 there would have been a higher %age of test takers who'd taken the test before - non-standard applicants). The best preparation is generally having sat the test before (as you know exactly what to expect and how you personally respond in that situation) however, repeat test-takers are possibly cancelled out by the removal from the 'pool' of those who got very high scores last year and maximised their chances of an offer so... who knows!

I feel like I'm rambling now! But anyway... TLDR: we don't know. We don't have enough data points yet to declare anything meaningful.

MyHeadee

This is only the third year of the test in Aus, so we only have two years to go on to date which isn't adequate to really make any meaningful comments on score trends (particularly given the obvious cohort difference between years 1 and 2 - ie. year 1 almost all test takers are taking the test for the very first time - a small minority may have done UKCAT previously, year 2 there would have been a higher %age of test takers who'd taken the test before - non-standard applicants). The best preparation is generally having sat the test before (as you know exactly what to expect and how you personally respond in that situation) however, repeat test-takers are possibly cancelled out by the removal from the 'pool' of those who got very high scores last year and maximised their chances of an offer so... who knows!

I feel like I'm rambling now! But anyway... TLDR: we don't know. We don't have enough data points yet to declare anything meaningful.
Alright, bet. Thanks, x, I'll stay around to aid those who don't do nearly as well as they'd hoped to provide some solace. :p

Scrivo_72

The Humerus 2021
Everything felt pretty alright, and i had been preparing for the last 4 or so weeks, quite strenuously. i know we aren't allowed to mention prep companies, but the mock exams I did, I was averaging around 2900-3000, but idk. Nothing felt off, but it just didn't go well, I really have no excuses.

Either way, my score in 2019 would've been a tad above 80th%ile but it seems to just get lower and lower as each year passes which is concerning. Rural btw.
my guy a score like that as a rural applicant is really good. From what you said, im guessing you got above 2710. As a rural applicant you should get interviews based of last years data unless percentiles change drastically this year (and also your atar and other factors depending on each uni).

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
Agreed with Flynn. Best to put everything in context. A score like that as a rural student would make you competitive at a few places.

Best to think of UCAT as a means to an end, if you can get in with your score then you’ve done well,

MyHeadee

my guy a score like that as a rural applicant is really good. From what you said, im guessing you got above 2710. As a rural applicant you should get interviews based of last years data unless percentiles change drastically this year (and also your atar and other factors depending on each uni).
Yeah man idk, I reckon i had a lot more in me than what actually happened, I'm just idk it is what it is. The mod's hate speculation, so its prolly not appropriate for me to speculate my ATAR, but for unsw, rural median was around 97.6 which I very strongly believe I can achieve and exceed (hopefully comfortably).

Last edited:

Scrivo_72

The Humerus 2021
2720 nice guess. And yeah man idk, I reckon i had a lot more in me than what actually happened, I'm just idk it is what it is. The mod's hate speculation, so its prolly not appropriate for me to speculate my ATAR, but for unsw, rural median was around 97.6 which I very strongly believe I can achieve and exceed (hopefully comfortably).
My heart goes out to all of the metro applicants, this ucat bs is so cutthroat, like for example, if you have a lapse of concentration of about 2 seconds for every question, then that's potentially not solving 3 Q's in VR, 1Q in DM, 2Q's in QR and about 8Q's in AR, you get those right and that's a potential score difference of like 150.
id be over the moon with a 2720 as im also a rural applicant. You got this king, just do your best at school and ill hopefully see you at interviews 👍 .

vehura

Everything felt pretty alright, and i had been preparing for the last 4 or so weeks, quite strenuously. i know we aren't allowed to mention prep companies, but the mock exams I did, I was averaging around 2900-3000, but idk. Nothing felt off, but it just didn't go well, I really have no excuses.

Either way, my score in 2019 would've been a tad above 80th%ile but it seems to just get lower and lower as each year passes which is concerning. Rural btw.
Did you find any subsection particularly harder than the mocks you’d done, or was it all pretty similar difficulty? Regardless, your score is definitely still competitive for rural entry, so good job. Even getting through the exam is worth congratulating. It’s so important to have a positive mindset to smash the HSC and it definitely sounds like you have that. :)

Layla_a

2720 nice guess. And yeah man idk, I reckon i had a lot more in me than what actually happened, I'm just idk it is what it is. The mod's hate speculation, so its prolly not appropriate for me to speculate my ATAR, but for unsw, rural median was around 97.6 which I very strongly believe I can achieve and exceed (hopefully comfortably).
My heart goes out to all of the metro applicants, this ucat bs is so cutthroat, like for example, if you have a lapse of concentration of about 2 seconds for every question, then that's potentially not solving 3 Q's in VR, 1Q in DM, 2Q's in QR and about 8Q's in AR, you get those right and that's a potential score difference of like 150.
How did you go in the official mock exams ?

MyHeadee

id be over the moon with a 2720 as im also a rural applicant. You got this king, just do your best at school and ill hopefully see you at interviews 👍 .
Flynn. I will remember the name... -_- ...
You too boss, I assume your exam is in a couple of weeks, all I can say is, the day before, do a couple of google searches on breathing techniques to calm the nerves. Its gonna help x.

Did you find any subsection particularly harder than the mocks you’d done, or was it all pretty similar difficulty? Regardless, your score is definitely still competitive for rural entry, so good job. Even getting through the exam is worth congratulating. It’s so important to have a positive mindset to smash the HSC and it definitely sounds like you have that. :)
it felt the same as anything really, I just fkd up in my opinion, the gas tank was for sure not 100% depleted by the end of it :(. And thank you, you too !

How did you go in the official mock exams ?
I only did mock D cuz i heard people saying that A/B/C are awfully hard, and i think around 2890-2950 (idk how they mark DM lol) for mock D.

Scrivo_72

The Humerus 2021
You too boss, I assume your exam is in a couple of weeks, all I can say is, the day before, do a couple of google searches on breathing techniques to calm the nerves. Its gonna help x.

it felt the same as anything really, I just fkd up in my opinion, the gas tank was for sure not 100% depleted by the end of it :(. And thank you, you too !

I only did mock D cuz i heard people saying that A/B/C are awfully hard, and i think around 2890-2950 (idk how they mark DM lol) for mock D.
yea my exam is on Saturday and i will definitely try the breathing techniques.

unbroken

hey! congratulations on your score! im also a Rural Student, i wish you the best of luck on your future studies!

do you mind if you can share your individual results for each section?

thank you!

Hey everyone,
Been reading on here for a while now, finally registered to post :p Mock scores between 600-750 for each section however it fluctuated a lot between each practice exam. Was worried I completely bombed it today. Did averagely but hoping my raw score is enough to get an interview at JMP as a rural candidate, which I believe I'm a chance to 👍

VR: 670
DM :660
QR: 640
AR: 630

Total: 2600

SJ: 683

Thought I did average to bad walking out of the test, some sections I found some questions were easier than I thought they would be, in QR for example, I felt every question I spent time on I was able to get the right answer as they were simpler than I thought they would be, but it took me to long and I ended up guessing too many at the end. VR was slightly shorter paragraphs and less dense than I had been practicing, didn't do as well as I'd hoped overall, but it is what it is 🤷‍♂️

Good luck to everyone who hasn't sat it yet 👍

unbroken

Hey everyone,
Been reading on here for a while now, finally registered to post :p Mock scores between 600-750 for each section however it fluctuated a lot between each practice exam. Was worried I completely bombed it today. Did averagely but hoping my raw score is enough to get an interview at JMP as a rural candidate, which I believe I'm a chance to 👍

Thought I did average to bad walking out of the test, some sections I found some questions were easier than I thought they would be, in QR for example, I felt every question I spent time on I was able to get the right answer as they were simpler than I thought they would be, but it took me to long and I ended up guessing too many at the end. VR was slightly shorter paragraphs and less dense than I had been practicing, didn't do as well as I'd hoped overall, but it is what it is 🤷‍♂️

Congrats on your score, thank you for sharing your results and experience! this is very helpful for the people who are yet to sit their exams!

I know Rural students last year who received around 2600 and had interview offers for numerous Universities, We don't know how the percentiles are going to be this year, but last year we had 60%ile receive interview offers (that is, rural applicant). so don't worry too much about this :)

How was your experience with each section compared to the official UCAT questions?

Tafs

Lurker
Hey everyone,

Congrats on your mark, as a rural student Id say your mark is competitive from what ive seen.

For VR are you able to show your mock averages, VR is my biggest weakness and a 670 is an amazing mark definitely in the 9th decline. Being able to make a comparison between the averages I am getting right now and the ones you got will kinda give me and anyone else who is curious a heads up. cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.