Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

International Students: General Medicine Entry

mira2015

Hi! I'm an international student wanting to study medicine at Australia. Currently I'm in my first year first semester of studying pharmacy and I want to reapply to other universities for medicine (2022 entry as a first year). I was wondering if my university GPA matters if my high school scores match what the universities require from a high school graduate? Like for example if just by looking at my high school scores, isat and interview looks like I might pass, if i don't do so well in my first semester of uni right now or if I happen to fail (which I hope not happen), will that heavily affect my acceptance? Thanks in advance! I'm so happy I found this page :)

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
I thought we had a thread for this, but I honestly can't find it! If one exists, can someone please point it out to me and I'll merge them :D

mira2015

I thought we had a thread for this, but I honestly can't find it! If one exists, can someone please point it out to me and I'll merge them :D
I'm new and I couldn't find anything specific for international students so I just posted it there thanks for moving it!! :D

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
I'm new and I couldn't find anything specific for international students so I just posted it there thanks for moving it!! :D
We should have a thread for this, so if we don't this has been an excellent excuse to create one! Welcome to MSO. In recent history, our international student members have been well serviced by the knowledge of BoarVessel so I've tagged them for you.

mira2015

We should have a thread for this, so if we don't this has been an excellent excuse to create one! Welcome to MSO. In recent history, our international student members have been well serviced by the knowledge of BoarVessel so I've tagged them for you.
Thank you so much!! so happy to join this community :)))

A1

Rookie Doc
I was wondering if my university GPA matters if my high school scores match what the universities require from a high school graduate?
I have not checked all the med schools, only these four and the criteria for international students already in uni appear to be the same as those applying to domestic students.

UNSW : You need to achieve *both* ATAR equivalent to 96+ and uni WAM 70+, then the "best of" is used
> International Applicants | Medicine - UNSW Sydney

WSU : Either Y12 or the uni GPA so if your Y12 is sufficient you're good
> International Applicants for the MD | Western Sydney University

JMP : Based on your most recent study program so GPA only
> International applicants

Monash : Not eligible once you have commenced uni (same as for domestic students)
> Admissions requirements - International

These are for examples, you should check through the other schools when you have time. Best of luck.

mira2015

I have not checked all the med schools, only these four and the criteria for international students already in uni appear to be the same as those applying to domestic students.

UNSW : You need to achieve *both* ATAR equivalent to 96+ and uni WAM 70+, then the "best of" is used
> International Applicants | Medicine - UNSW Sydney

WSU : Either Y12 or the uni GPA so if your Y12 is sufficient you're good
> International Applicants for the MD | Western Sydney University

JMP : Based on your most recent study program so GPA only
> International applicants

Monash : Not eligible once you have commenced uni (same as for domestic students)
> Admissions requirements - International

These are for examples, you should check through the other schools when you have time. Best of luck.
Thanks for the information!!

Hi, UNSW allows ISAT or UCAT in medicine application. Would appreciate any advice on interview threshold for these 2 tests? Saw thread where offers made, Majority of UCAT percentiles at > 90%….. feeling worried now as both my scores are fair .

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hi, UNSW allows ISAT or UCAT in medicine application. Would appreciate any advice on interview threshold for these 2 tests? Saw thread where offers made, Majority of UCAT percentiles at > 90%….. feeling worried now as both my scores are fair .

We haven’t got any regular MSO users that are international students at present. In the past, BoarVessel has been helpful, but I’ve not seen them around for quite a while.

kami17

Hello! I'm an international student myself. For international students, UNSW asks for ISAT in the medicine application and from what I've researched, the interview threshold for ISAT is 150.

Vassau

Hello! I'm an international student myself. For international students, UNSW asks for ISAT in the medicine application and from what I've researched, the interview threshold for ISAT is 150.
UNSW's admissions process appears inconsistent. When I first applied to UNSW, they offered me an interview before I did my ISAT.

UNSW's admissions process appears inconsistent. When I first applied to UNSW, they offered me an interview before I did my ISAT.

Oh an interview first, perhaps your academics are v strong!
Is it ok to ask what the ISAT score are - for those who secured an offer ?

Vassau

Oh an interview first, perhaps your academics are v strong!
Is it ok to ask what the ISAT score are - for those who secured an offer ?
Sorry for the late reply. I don't know truly what ISAT score is needed, but from my observation of others(take it with a grain of salt!) - a minimum of 180 is needed.

kami17

Thank you!! It was a medicine offer. Unfortunately, my school does not go by ATAR. We go with GPA and SAT. My GPA was 3.92/4.00 and my SAT scores were 1520. I apologize for not being of much help.

Vassau

Thank you!! It was a medicine offer. Unfortunately, my school does not go by ATAR. We go with GPA and SAT. My GPA was 3.92/4.00 and my SAT scores were 1520. I apologize for not being of much help.
That's ok! I hope to be in the same position as you! :D

Vassau

Ah, sorry for asking again. I'm just ecstatic to have the chance to chat with a UNSW applicant. How long did it take you to get an offer after the interview? Was it this year?

Again, thanks!

kami17

Ah, sorry for asking again. I'm just ecstatic to have the chance to chat with a UNSW applicant. How long did it take you to get an offer after the interview? Was it this year?

Again, thanks!
It's alright. I had my interview on the 5th of May this year and it took exactly 3 weeks to get an offer.