Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Post UCAT Discussion Thread 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhsane

Would the majority of people sitting the UCAT have done it by now? Or has it tended to be skewed towards more people sitting in the final week(s)?
at my school (NZ) most ppl seem to be sitting it in August so im really curious too...
Hey guys, those who sat the UCAT this year - how did you guys find the QR question banks on the official website in comparison to the real exam?
Also any tips for someone scoring 500-600 range in QR mini mocks?? mainly because of speed issues :((
if you don't understand how to do the question... flag and move on! Don't waste your time staring at a hard question if you can't see an instant solution and come back to it later? maybe you'll get it then. I flagged like 7 questions but managed 870 miraculously : )
You got this! Just take deep breaths before and forget about how you did in VR and DM..

Jamiecsms

Percentiles are relative. It depends on how well the 2021 cohort performs. If the UCAT exam is significantly more difficult this year, it would have minimal impact on the number of people within each percentiles as the majority of people will do worse, and Pearson VUE will do some fancy statistics to adjust the bell curves accordingly.
If you are trying to predict the cutoffs for each percentile, don’t bother as MSO only has a small percentage of the total UCAT test takers. Just because some people do extremely well here does not mean the wider ANZ will perform just as well. There are also only 2 year’s worth of statistics to work off (as UCAT changed from UMAT).
Furthermore, difficulty is relative, and there are usually 3 test papers that Pearson circulates during exam season (which again they use stats to even out the bias in the difficulty of the paper). Just sit tight or do your best on exam day. 🙂
Cheers, do you know how universal cut offs are. As in last year the cut off of top 10%, was that for almost all uni's or does it vary greatly between uni's.

2xq

Allied Health Member
Cheers, do you know how universal cut offs are. As in last year the cut off of top 10%, was that for almost all uni's or does it vary greatly between uni's.
If you're asking questions like this, you need to take a breather king. Once percentiles are released, there will be opportunities to ask then (for specific universities unless MSO is doing something different this year)!

P

pineapplebalm

Hey guys! Did the UCAT today at the Bridge St centre in Sydney.

VR: 820
DM: 790
QR: 870
AR: 710
SJ: 732
Total: 3190

Overall super happy with my result, hoping to get interviews at UoN/WSU :)

Feel free to ask any questions about my experience idk what to say HAHA

A1

Rookie Doc
As in last year the cut off of top 10%, was that for almost all uni's or does it vary greatly between uni's.
The UCAT percentile cutoff for interview varies greatly between the unis, even within particular med schools as well. Examples :

- Adelaide/JMP were earlier around 90%ile, last year they allocated ~half their interview spots to SA/UoN-student applicants so the general cutoff jumped to 95ish iirc

- WSU (for non-GWS) was ~88%ile with very high VR or up to 98%ile with low VR

- UNSW 85ish %ile with 99.9 ATAR or 98ish %ile with mid-98s ATAR

- Monash is similar deal to UNSW except quite a bit lower for Vic applicants, significantly higher for interstate applicants, etc.

medboy20

Hey! Congrats on finishing and congrats on that amazing score! That VR score is really really good - just wondering how did you find the section as well as your strategies for it?

P

pineapplebalm

Hey! Congrats on finishing and congrats on that amazing score! That VR score is really really good - just wondering how did you find the section as well as your strategies for it?
I wish I could give you a straightforward answer but VR has always been my strength (even in my mocks I was averaging 800-900 from the start). I read - both books and the news - pretty much every day which I'm sure helped significantly. One thing I'd suggest is getting your VR to a stage at which you're able to answer a few questions in under 10 seconds, which would come down to understanding and processing the text.

Well done on your score! That's awesome.
How did you find the centre? I have mine there in a week.

Also, how did you find each of the sections in comparison to the mocks? :)

lolmed

well done mate, killed it!! just wondering, for VR did you read the passage first and then answer the questions or vice versa?

P

pineapplebalm

Well done on your score! That's awesome.
How did you find the centre? I have mine there in a week.

Also, how did you find each of the sections in comparison to the mocks? :)
Thank you! I didn't actually do any official mocks bc I was too scared hahahah but from what I've heard the real thing is wayyyy easier! Also the centre was fine but it was really hot in there lol I was boiling.

well done mate, killed it!! just wondering, for VR did you read the passage first and then answer the questions or vice versa?
Thank you! Ummm okay so my 'technique' was read first para to get an idea of the passage and then peek at the first question to save a bit of time. Answer the first question ASAP and then just finish the text and try to answer the rest of the qs in under 10-20 seconds. This was a technique I kinda developed naturally though, it wasn't planned at all.

dasturk

Lurker

Wow congrats on that amazing score!! How did you find DM and AR compared to offical mocks and question banks? TIA

P

pineapplebalm

Wow congrats on that amazing score!! How did you find DM and AR compared to offical mocks and question banks? TIA
I'm so sorry bc this is a useless answer but I didn't look at the official banks at all. AR honestly wasn't difficult though, def one of the easier ones I've seen, I just happen to be horrible at it lmaooo

kkkk

f

for vr do you scan for keywords or read the whole passage or a combination of both

tommy987

The UCAT percentile cutoff for interview varies greatly between the unis, even within particular med schools as well. Examples :

- Adelaide/JMP were earlier around 90%ile, last year they allocated ~half their interview spots to SA/UoN-student applicants so the general cutoff jumped to 95ish iirc

- WSU (for non-GWS) was ~88%ile with very high VR or up to 98%ile with low VR

- UNSW 85ish %ile with 99.9 ATAR or 98ish %ile with mid-98s ATAR

- Monash is similar deal to UNSW except quite a bit lower for Vic applicants, significantly higher for interstate applicants, etc.
Just to clarify, did the 2980 cut off figure which was released by JMP only apply to UoN students, or to all students? And will they also be allocating half to current student applications this year?

Wolfles

CCCS MD-JMP III
Just to clarify, did the 2980 cut off figure which was released by JMP only apply to UoN students, or to all students? And will they also be allocating half to current student applications this year?
The 2980 cutoff was for the entire JMP program - non-rural, Non-UoN. Last year, apparently UoN Biomedsci applicants had an advantage as they were admitted internally via the rural pathway. This had a lower UCAT cutoff.
Thread 'JMP: BBiomedSc Pathway'
JMP - JMP: BBiomedSc Pathway

So realistically there are now 3 pools of applicants - non-rural, UoN and rural, judging the info from previous posts and that LMG! provided.

The split between UoN and UNE is then determined on interview performance and preferencing.

We have no idea what they will be doing this year. Keep in mind that cutoffs change every year depending on the performance of the cohort. I suspect they most likely will as a recent change from last year probably will be carried over this year. We will find out once percentiles and interviews are released.

Sup everyone, I did my UCAT yesterday on Tuesday 27th July at Macquarie St, Parramatta in Sydney.

My scores were:
VR - 870
DM - 760
QR - 900
AR - 870
Total - 3400
SJ - 705

Overall, I'm extremely pleased with my score, it was well above my mock average of 3150 and exceeded all my mock scores.

If you have any questions I'd be more than happy to answer them! Idk what exactly this thread is for other than to share results/experience :p.

Below are my general thoughts:
VR: I finished everything in time (my main goal) but I was forced to make quick educated guesses for a few, so I hoped to get maybe 820/830. I was pleasantly surprised with 870.

DM: Shockingly difficult (especially the syllogisms) compared to any of the mocks and subtests I had ever done. I probably had a bad day? but I simply could not understand any of the syllogisms and in my mocks they were never a major problem. The other questions seemed to be quite standards, but the difficulty was a big shocker and this subtest was my only underperformer compared to my mock average (820).

QR: Was quite simple and easy. As I finished I was quite confident I'd get at least 880.

AR: Doing that subtest, I knew I was going to do a bit better than my mock average (700) but I didn't for a second consider a score as high as 870. Stand-out performer.

SJ: Never really paid much attention to this section bc I'm focussed on UNSW/USYD med entry. It seemed like every other SJ test though. Pleasantly surprised by the 705 tbh, my mock averages were 600-650 I think.

naian616

Sup everyone, I did my UCAT yesterday on Tuesday 27th July at Macquarie St, Parramatta in Sydney.

My scores were:
VR - 870
DM - 760
QR - 900
AR - 870
Total - 3400
SJ - 705

Overall, I'm extremely pleased with my score, it was well above my mock average of 3150 and exceeded all my mock scores.

If you have any questions I'd be more than happy to answer them! Idk what exactly this thread is for other than to share results/experience :p.

VR: I finished everything in time (my main goal) but I was forced to make quick educated guesses for a few, so I hoped to get maybe 820/830. I was pleasantly surprised with 870.

DM: Shockingly difficult (especially the syllogisms) compared to any of the mocks and subtests I had ever done. I probably had a bad day? but I simply could not understand any of the syllogisms and in my mocks they were never a major problem. The other questions seemed to be quite standards, but the difficulty was a big shocker and this subtest was my only underperformer compared to my mock average (820).

QR: Was quite simple and easy. As I finished I was quite confident I'd get at least 880.

AR: Doing that subtest, I knew I was going to do a bit better than my mock average (700) but I didn't for a second consider a score as high as 870. Stand-out performer.

SJ: Never really paid much attention to this section bc I'm focussed on UNSW/USYD med entry. It seemed like every other SJ test though. Pleasantly surprised by the 705 tbh, my mock averages were 600-650 I think.
what a legend

Miata

Optometry Student

My scores were:
VR - 870
DM - 760
QR - 900
AR - 870
Total - 3400
SJ - 705

Welcome to the 900 QR gang! Take your spot, king. 🙇‍♂️

Panda4

My scores were:
VR - 870
DM - 760
QR - 900
AR - 870
Total - 3400
SJ - 705

Well done DaCommiePanda! Your score is extremely high and you should definitely be be pleased with your score 😂. I am really struggling in the VR section atm and don’t really know how I could improve in a short amount of time since my exam is in just under 2 weeks. Any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.