Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Quick Questions 2021/2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

A1

Rookie Doc
I just wanted to ask (sorry if this is the wrong place :(( ) check how many interstate interview offers are given for Monash and what the odds of getting an offer would be out of the interview applicants?
Is interstate disadvantaged much for UNSW?

Ahh thanks
UNSW vouches not to disadvantage interstate applicants. They reserve enough places for round2 offers so that round2/interstate offer cutoff is not higher than round1 (and often is lower than round1 thus a few round1 locals get a round2 offer).

VTAC stats showed Monash made ~210 round1 offers out of 240, so they reserve only 30 places for round2. Based on scheduled interview slots about 80 interstates are invited, but a high number don't turn up after having received a home state offer. In my year not enough turned up, every interstate who went got an offer and Monash even invited more afterwards to top up. In ucatboy's year practically everyone he knew got an offer. But I hear last year was very different, probably due to COVID.

jhsane

UNSW vouches not to disadvantage interstate applicants. They reserve enough places for round2 offers so that round2/interstate offer cutoff is not higher than round1 (and often is lower than round1 thus a few round1 locals get a round2 offer).

VTAC stats showed Monash made ~210 round1 offers out of 240, so they reserve only 30 places for round2. Based on scheduled interview slots about 80 interstates are invited, but a high number don't turn up after having received a home state offer. In my year not enough turned up, every interstate who went got an offer and Monash even invited more afterwards to top up. In ucatboy's year practically everyone he knew got an offer. But I hear last year was very different, probably due to COVID.
Thank you! I was just in the UNSW open day med chat and they just confirmed we’re all in the same cohort : )
Hopefully Monash rates will be alright this year..

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
probably due to COVID.
Yeah i recall that Victorian ATARs were delayed last year which means they left alot more second round seats open for interviews.

I wonder how they will react to NSW's HSC being delayed, I'd put good money on them saying tough luck :p

A1

Rookie Doc
Hi,

Does anyone know of any bridging courses for math methods that are accepted by all unis such as JCU, USyd, Monash for entry into medicine? I know JCU has their own mathematics prerequisite- will this be accepted by other unis as well or should I call them up to find out? Thank you

A1

Rookie Doc
Hi,

Does anyone know of any bridging courses for math methods that are accepted by all unis such as JCU, USyd, Monash for entry into medicine? I know JCU has their own mathematics prerequisite- will this be accepted by other unis as well or should I call them up to find out? Thank you
Monash Med does not require Maths, only English/Chem. The JCU bridging course satisfies JCU and should do USyd as well but you need to call USyd to double check.

Btw USyd Med requires 99.95 or E12 99.50, how did you achieve this without doing Maths? 🤣

ucat3300+

Monash Med does not require Maths, only English/Chem. The JCU bridging course satisfies JCU and should do USyd as well but you need to call USyd to double check.

Btw USyd Med requires 99.95 or E12 99.50, how did you achieve this without doing Maths? 🤣
Ahahaha I know someone who got 99.95 without doing a single unit of math / science. 100% humanities.

Reactions: A1

anony7

Lurker
When applying to UQ, does anyone know if I have to put in my preferred undergraduate course as well as the doctor of medicine provisional entry in my preferences? Or do I only need to select the doctor of medicine provsional entry course and I somehow choose my undergraduate later? Thanks.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
When applying to UQ, does anyone know if I have to put in my preferred undergraduate course as well as the doctor of medicine provisional entry in my preferences? Or do I only need to select the doctor of medicine provsional entry course and I somehow choose my undergraduate later? Thanks.
Nope, if you get a provisional entry place, you'll select your preferred undergraduate degree after the fact.

anony7

Lurker
Nope, if you get a provisional entry place, you'll select your preferred undergraduate degree after the fact.
is that the same as all other universities that allow you to complete any undergrad course (i.e. not griffith for example where they have a designated biomed course that goes into med)?

Sorry not sure where to ask this question. Does anyone know when UNSW interview offers come out this year due to HSC delays?

A1

Rookie Doc
Does anyone know when UNSW interview offers come out this year due to HSC delays?
The last two years UNSW waited for ATAR release mid-Dec, sent invites & held interviews immediately, ready for offers 10ish January.
In earlier years they obtained predicted ATARs directly from your school, selected interviewees based on predicted then made offers based on actual ATAR.

This year HSC is so late I don't think they will wait for actual ATARs before doing interviews, so likely will use the predicted way again. Any NSW applicants whose schools don't provide a predicted, or their actual ATAR comes out better to "deserve" an interview, will be invited to the Feb/interstate round. That's my guess anyway.

The last two years UNSW waited for ATAR release mid-Dec, sent invites & held interviews immediately, ready for offers 10ish January.
In earlier years they obtained predicted ATARs directly from your school, selected interviewees based on predicted then made offers based on actual ATAR.

This year HSC is so late I don't think they will wait for actual ATARs before doing interviews, so likely will use the predicted way again. Any NSW applicants whose schools don't provide a predicted, or their actual ATAR comes out better to "deserve" an interview, will be invited to the Feb/interstate round. That's my guess anyway.
Thanks for your prompt response. How do school's predict ATAR? I do not think my school does as I go to a public school. Also, in my application that I submitted months ago I didn't specify a predicted ATAR. Does UNSW ask the school directly? Also, does that mean I am at a severe disadvantage if my school does not give predicted ATAR?

A1

Rookie Doc
How do school's predict ATAR? ... Does UNSW ask the school directly?
UNSW used to do that before the last two years. Yes they asked the schools directly, public or private.

does that mean I am at a severe disadvantage if my school does not give predicted ATAR?
No you won't be disadvantaged, just delayed. Without a predicted ATAR UNSW will invite you, based on actual ATAR + UCAT, to the Feb/interstate round. UNSW says they always treat the two rounds equally.

On second thought the ideal way I hope UNSW will take is do ONE big interview round in Feb for NSW+interstate applicants combined, then release all offers together in the February offer round. This would solve our headaches on preferences - NSW applicants can put WSU/JMP 1st pref for the Jan offer round, then switch UNSW to 1st pref for the Feb offer round. Potentially you can get two offers then choose based on unbonded/bonded or campus location.

Edwak

WSU MD III
is it possible to rank the uni's from best interview to offer chance to worst? That is for the undergraduate courses in Australia.

A1

Rookie Doc
is it possible to rank the uni's from best interview to offer chance to worst? That is for the undergraduate courses in Australia.
Best : Monash interstate interview, up to 75-80% who attend the interview get an offer (but the caveat is you need superhigh ATAR+UCAT to get invited).
Next :
- USyd roughly 60-70%
- Monash local/rural : 210 offers to ~500 interviewees
- UNSW, WSU, UWA, Curtin & probably UQ are around 1 in 3
- JMP, JCU around 1 in 4 (170 offers to ~700 interviewees)
Worst : Adelaide my year was 1 in 6 (130 offers to ~800 interviewees), but places have increased to 140 and I hear they're cutting back interviewees to 600 so maybe similar ratio to JMP/JCU now.

Status
Not open for further replies.