Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Adelaide UAdel Medicine: General Discussion

ucatboy

final year eek
Valued Member
Hi guys,

I am seeking for volunteering or role at aged care/gp clinics and I have been struggling to find one as most of the places I have contacted got back to me and said that they are not seeking new volunteers due to covid and etc. Hence, I was wondering if volunteering experience in the medical field is essential to receive a good interview outcome? I have asked my friends and some of them told me that they got into adl med with no previous interview experience so I am very confused and lost.

Thank you in advance
Work experience is always nice but you should do it for your own benefit i.e. finding out whether medicine is right for you, rather than for the interviewer. You don't need volunterering in the medical field to get a place offer, if you have it, great, but you'll still need to explain what you learned/gained from that experience. When I applied, I also wasn't able to secure any work experience and was even directly asked whether I had any during my actual UAdel interview (to which I could only answer "no"), I thought for sure they'd count that against me but I ended up with an offer later down the track anyways. A lot of my friends were in the same boat. I wouldn't stress about it if I were you, especially not right now, with the UCAT in a month's time .

Last edited:

Trinhcent

professional silly goose
Hi guys,

I am seeking for volunteering or role at aged care/gp clinics and I have been struggling to find one as most of the places I have contacted got back to me and said that they are not seeking new volunteers due to covid and etc. Hence, I was wondering if volunteering experience in the medical field is essential to receive a good interview outcome? I have asked my friends and some of them told me that they got into adl med with no previous interview experience so I am very confused and lost.

Thank you in advance

Hey jinjja21, hope things are going well.

To mirror what ucatboy said, you'd probably get more out of doing work experience if you were doing it for your own experiences rather than solely for the purposes of using it during your interview. Having said that, it's great to have some experience to substantiate or add more flavour to your interview responses but it won't be the sole determining factor during your interview haha. It'll be a bit tricky getting volunteering experience at certain places given the everchanging situation of COVID but have a look into volunteering at the hospitals too (they were keen back in the day to have young folks on the team but I don't know so much about these days but worth a shot).
Smash the UCAT out first and the other things you can figure out later :)

LeSpicyGinger

Flinders MD II
Hey jinjja21, hope things are going well.

To mirror what ucatboy said, you'd probably get more out of doing work experience if you were doing it for your own experiences rather than solely for the purposes of using it during your interview. Having said that, it's great to have some experience to substantiate or add more flavour to your interview responses but it won't be the sole determining factor during your interview haha. It'll be a bit tricky getting volunteering experience at certain places given the everchanging situation of COVID but have a look into volunteering at the hospitals too (they were keen back in the day to have young folks on the team but I don't know so much about these days but worth a shot).
Smash the UCAT out first and the other things you can figure out later :)
As part of volunteering in hospitals I do know one who is volunteering in Flinders Medical Centre right now in the Flinders MedSci cohort so it might be worth a try.

JCUlove

Hey guys,

Does anyone have any concept of the number of tertiary transfers that generally get into UAdel each year? I understand there’s a minimum of 10 but is it capped at that or can there be any number- dependent on ranking of course. Furthermore, is there a preference if the students do the advanced course over the normal one? Cheers!

Caffeine

Hey guys,

Does anyone have any concept of the number of tertiary transfers that generally get into UAdel each year? I understand there’s a minimum of 10 but is it capped at that or can there be any number- dependent on ranking of course. Furthermore, is there a preference if the students do the advanced course over the normal one? Cheers!
I don't think there is a preference over the advanced vs the normal degree of medical sciences and I think it's a minimum of 10 places . I would contact the university directly to ask them about any queries relating to caps etc for the most accurate information as policies change yearly.

Hey guys,

i’m currently y2 but in my year we had around 20 tertiary transfers. and nope! no preference iirc.

Fannnnnnn666

USYD BSci/MD IV
what was the interview cutoff for uadl interstate last year?
Pretty sure the ucat cutoff was around 3060, however some of my friends said they are reducing the number of interstate interview offers from 400 to 300 this year, which could potentially increase the cut off this year even further.

Pretty sure the ucat cutoff was around 3060, however some of my friends said they are reducing the number of interstate interview offers from 400 to 300 this year, which could potentially increase the cut off this year even further.
thank you, do you know what the cutoff for the local residents were?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
do u know what was his atar if possible?
Did you look at the offers thread as prompted? The information is collated there.

JCUlove

How likely would it be for the cut off for tertiary transfers to change this year? I know last year it was 77th percentile and year before it was actually higher. I’m hating the waiting game right now 😭

Caffeine

How likely would it be for the cut off for tertiary transfers to change this year? I know last year it was 77th percentile and year before it was actually higher. I’m hating the waiting game right now.
It's not possible to predict. It depends on the number of applicants and the UCAT scores of those applicants. It could go higher , lower or remain the same. Only once the university announces the interview invites will people find out the cut-off for this year.

JCUlove

Ah how’s everyone feeling about the last minute change from MMI to a 15min 2person panel?

Last edited: