Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

JPM WSU/CSU JPM: Questions and Discussion

seneth

Lurker
Hey guys, I graduated from high school last year, and am in my first year of uni and I intended on applying for WSU Med this year. I just want to confirm for the intake this year, will they take my ATAR or my GPA to meet the academic threshold (like whichever is higher)? I've met the academic threshold ATAR-wise (non-GWS) , but I'm unsure GPA-wise (first year has been hard). Thank you so much !

Reactions: 2xq

2xq

Allied Health Member
Hey guys, I graduated from high school last year, and am in my first year of uni and I intended on applying for WSU Med this year. I just want to confirm for the intake this year, will they take my ATAR or my GPA to meet the academic threshold (like whichever is higher)? I've met the academic threshold ATAR-wise (non-GWS) , but I'm unsure GPA-wise (first year has been hard). Thank you so much !
They take the "best of" model meaning that you will be considered since your ATAR already meets the threshold.

xchorok

Thank you!!! Yes that’s the one I used. I’m not a current CSU student but I also have a dentistry offer I got in December. The top one is dentistry!
Hey Claire
Just wondering if you put CSU dent as your first preference and got offer in Dec, and move it down to put Csu med as your frist preference?

Thanks!

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
Yes. UNSW requires you satisfy the minimum ATAR hurdle, from there they will use your best academic result for selection. WSU just requires you to satisfy one of the academic hurdles, so you could get a low ATAR and make up for it with uni results, or vice versa where your subpar academic results don't matter because you had a high enough ATAR

stressed.

Lurker
Hey guys, I intend on applying for WSU med in 2023.
I was wondering how high of an ATAR i should aim for to be called in for an interview. I know that the ATAR cutoff for GWS students is 93.5 so if I meet this mark will I be called in for an interview? (ofc with the UCAT requirements too).

2xq

Allied Health Member
Hey guys, I intend on applying for WSU med in 2023.
I was wondering how high of an ATAR i should aim for to be called in for an interview. I know that the ATAR cutoff for GWS students is 93.5 so if I meet this mark will I be called in for an interview? (ofc with the UCAT requirements too).
WSU don't invite using ATAR. They only use UCAT to invite people. ATAR is a threshold that is considered later on.

SLP

Bond MD I
Hey, so for CSU applicants for medicine, they give 80% of the 37 offers to rural students so that leaves around 7 places to non rural applicants. How many people interview in total at CSU?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hey, so for CSU applicants for medicine, they give 80% of the 37 offers to rural students so that leaves around 7 places to non rural applicants. How many people interview in total at CSU?
There has historically been a 3:1 ratio for WSU. We believe this has continued for JPM.

Reactions: SLP

SLP

Bond MD I
Hey, so as a non rural, non GWS applicant, would you have any further suggestions of whether it would be better for me to apply for CSU or WSU? My ucat score btw was a 3210 with a VR score of 670 (my aggregate score using the formula was about 746). Do CSU also use this formula as well or is it only WSU which does? Thanks again

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hey, so as a non rural, non GWS applicant, would you have any further suggestions of whether it would be better for me to apply for CSU or WSU? My ucat score btw was a 3210 with a VR score of 670 (my aggregate score using the formula was about 746). Do CSU also use this formula as well or is it only WSU which does? Thanks again
You apply to JPM as far as I’m aware. It’s all a big pool that is then distributed in a similar way as JMP. Unless I’ve completely misunderstood the process??

SLP

Bond MD I
You apply to JPM as far as I’m aware. It’s all a big pool that is then distributed in a similar way as JMP. Unless I’ve completely misunderstood the process??
So on the UAC website, when I have to choose my degree options, there's an additional option under JPM where it asks to indicate your study preference; either WSU or CSU. That's the part where I was confused about and so wanted to ask about.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
So on the UAC website, when I have to choose my degree options, there's an additional option under JPM where it asks to indicate your study preference; either WSU or CSU. That's the part where I was confused about and so wanted to ask about.
Oh, right. It’s the same criteria for both and everyone is recruited in a pool and then distributed so preference as you’d actually prefer. If you’re successful for JPM as a non-rural you’re more than likely to end up at WSU based purely on numbers, but select as you’d prefer.

SLP

Bond MD I
Oh, right. It’s the same criteria for both and everyone is recruited in a pool and then distributed so preference as you’d actually prefer. If you’re successful for JPM as a non-rural you’re more than likely to end up at WSU based purely on numbers, but select as you’d prefer.
Alright yep, thanks for the replies. Sorry for the bunch of questions, it’s just that I was quite unsure which one to put down, but Due to my preference and location, I’ll put WSU down

SmoothCriminal

Hi guys, I was just wondering if JPM has always been prioritising VR since the introduction of UCAT to Australia and if there is any chances that they might prioritise some other subsection this year?

Caffeine

Hi guys, I was just wondering if JPM has always been prioritising VR since the introduction of UCAT to Australia and if there is any chances that they might prioritise some other subsection this year?
You can ask WSU that but normally they do not indicate how they weight UCAT sections. Since the introduction of the UCAT WSU has favoured VR but I believe even when the UMAT was there they favoured a particular section S1 and S2 but didn't really consider S3. The exact formula though is not known but rather estimated on MSO

Interview Dates:

COVID Update: Please note interview dates have changed.

No other interviews will be offered.

Charles Sturt University – 29th November - 3rd December 2021

Western Sydney University – 29th November - 3rd December 2021

Where possible your interview location will be consistent with your preferred study location. The interview location will not determine the study location. Applicants will also be notified if they have not been selected for interview. Individual feedback on application outcome is not provided.

F

footballcake

I've heard that CSU may not actually use VR and may also base entry solely on the interview, especially for rural. Is this plausible?

Also is there any likelihood of early offers for non school leavers considering GPA has come out?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
I've heard that CSU may not actually use VR and may also base entry solely on the interview, especially for rural. Is this plausible?

Also is there any likelihood of early offers for non school leavers considering GPA has come out?
There are not separate eligibility criteria for the two unis. It’s a single program: the joint program in medicine. I don’t think it’s plausible and we saw zero evidence of it last year.

And I doubt it as there are not different pools for non-standards and school leavers, but only JPM could say for sure.