Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Pathways to Dentistry

bettybop

Will
All undergraudate dental schools, i.e. UQ, UAdel, JCU, CSU and La Trobe, accept NS applicants. All graduate dental schools, i.e. USyd, UMelb and UWA, accept the applicants with a degree.I a
I've done 1FTE of tertiary study and am intending to take a 2nd gap year to prepare for the UCAT as I was unsuccessful last year. Will there be any issues regarding my eligibility as a non-standard student for the undergraduate dental schools mentioned here?

Tomato

Will

I've done 1FTE of tertiary study and am intending to take a 2nd gap year to prepare for the UCAT as I was unsuccessful last year. Will there be any issues regarding my eligibility as a non-standard student for the undergraduate dental schools mentioned here?
The only thing is you cannot have subject bonus points like school leavers. This may be an impact for UQ dent because they need GPA 6.5 atm. I am not so sure about La Trobe's academic requirement.

Hi guys,

I finished my uni few years ago, graduated in 2018 and have been working ever since. To give you a brief information about my academic score, my GPA is only 5.0/7.0 which is really horrible (completed 4 years bachelor of pharmacy) and shouldn't even be thinking of studying dentistry with this GPA :( but I wanted to try and will be taking UCAT soon. My question is, even if you get high score around 3000 in UCAT, is it impossible to get an offer from any dentistry course in Australia with GPA of 5 + 2900-3000 UCAT score? And also because I spent 6 years studying and working in Tasmania, would I be considered as rural applicant?

Thanks heaps in advance

tdnii

Hi guys,

I finished my uni few years ago, graduated in 2018 and have been working ever since. To give you a brief information about my academic score, my GPA is only 5.0/7.0 which is really horrible (completed 4 years bachelor of pharmacy) and shouldn't even be thinking of studying dentistry with this GPA :( but I wanted to try and will be taking UCAT soon. My question is, even if you get high score around 3000 in UCAT, is it impossible to get an offer from any dentistry course in Australia with GPA of 5 + 2900-3000 UCAT score? And also because I spent 6 years studying and working in Tasmania, would I be considered as rural applicant?

Thanks heaps in advance
If you have been living in tas continuously for the last five yrs, you will be qualified as a rural applicant.

Last edited:

AWP

Just one quick question, is a 87% UCAT ANZ too low for me to apply for any dental school that counts UCAT ANZ score

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Just one quick question, is a 87% UCAT ANZ too low for me to apply for any dental school that counts UCAT ANZ score
Have a look at collated interview/offer data from previous years.

Hi hotdog88
There are 9 dental schools in Australia. Out of these 6 accept non-standard applicants. That is, someone who has undertaken higher education study.

There is no reason why you can't apply to CSU. CSU does not actually look at GPA but go entirely off UMAT and Interview. GPA/ATAR is not a factor because they release their offers before ATARs are released. I am unsure what will happen to the selection critera for 2020 entry.

Griffith requires no UMAT or interview but you need to compensate with a stellar GPA. Normally a 6.8+ will be sufficient. Note also that the last 2 years of the program is full fee and will incur roughly $120K debt.

JCU tends to favour rural applicants and does not require the UMAT. You will need to write an application which is weighed quite heavily.

Latrobe also requires UMAT and also you need to have done biology as a prerequisite. The selection criteria for non-standard is a bit of a mystery. In the past they have required very high UMAT scores.

Adelaide requires UMAT in the high 80s and a credit/distinction average. After that, selection is based on interview.

UQ requires a GPA of 6.5 for non UQ students and also a UMAT in the 90th percentile. This year the cut off was 181.

Hopefully that helps you.
you said GPA and ATAR is not a factor for CSU does that mean i can be a school leaver and apply with my UCAT and they wouldnt worry about my atar? and does this also apply to Adelaide uni after reaching the atar threshold?

Amber Rain

you said GPA and ATAR is not a factor for CSU does that mean i can be a school leaver and apply with my UCAT and they wouldnt worry about my atar? and does this also apply to Adelaide uni after reaching the atar threshold?
This information is quite old. I would suggest taking a better look at their website for the most up to date information.

Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads