Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Bond Bond Medicine: Psychometric Test and Interview Overview

attaboy

how many stations will there be, does anyone know ? im getting mixed messages from the website?? one page says 8 and then the email says up to 6, so not sure

THERESA20

how many stations will there be, does anyone know ? im getting mixed messages from the website?? one page says 8 and then the email says up to 6, so not sure
I think possibly the website wasnt updated and its up to 6 but Im not entirely sure

THERESA20

With the current weather conditions, did interviews go ahead today? and should we expect them to go ahead the next few days? Thank you!

luis33

Hey Guys, those who have attended the interview - does the room have AC - crucial to choose outfit :)
Also - is there a table between them and us? or just open space?

Thanks

Lulucat

Does the prefencing matter for which intake theyll give, as I included both september and may. But out may first

After completing the bond psychometric testing and doing some research, I have learned several things. It seems as though that the emotional intelligence test (MSCEIT) is functioning to rule people out on the basis of deficiencies. The personality test is selecting for (Big 5 - Neo PI3 ) qualities likely to succeed in the program.

You cannot really study for these tests, but you can learn about what they are measuring, the context in which they are asking these questions, and perhaps some predictions on what they may be looking for. I advise against attempting to deceive these tests, as the tests measure for this in terms of inconsistency in the way similar questions have been answered.

I hope some of this is useful to anyone.

So what is the big 5 personality model? (What NeoPI3 is measuring)
What Are the Big 5 Personality Traits?.

So what is MSCEIT measuring?
The Mayer-Salovey-Caruso Emotional Intelligence Test (MSCEIT) measures emotional intelligence through an individual's abilities to perceive, comprehend, act on, and manage emotional information.

Researching the literature has highlighted that the qualities of the Big 5 that Bond may be looking for is, low in neuroticism and high in conscientiousness. I believe the other qualities are not as relevant in selecting for medical students.

https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-02864299/document
https://bmcmededuc.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12909-020-02151-z
https://bmcmededuc.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12909-019-1485-2

The document below was useful in understanding the inference in terms of qualities in the big 5. E.g. style of learning pg. 15. In this case, high in openness and conscientiousness seemed to be the desirable personality for a med school.
https://www.acer.org/files/NEO_PI-3_Interp_Rpt_Sample_Report.pdf
Hi im curious, did you eventually end up getting an interview?

jayson

Hi everyone !

It's amazing to see the amount of current Bond students helping out the future students here ! I have posted on the other threads in regards to Bond's psychometric test and interview process, so I thought I would chip in my 2 cents being a 4th year medical student at Bond (+ having tutored for last 3 years).

Bond Psychometric Test:

In terms of the psychometric test, when you do it, it will be literally common sense. I know there are numerous resources out there which give you hints/tips, but at the end of the day, it's all about gut feeling.

Section 1: Your personality
Let me give you an actual example, the following was a question from the test in my year. "What emotions are induced within you by this picture". The picture was of rocks and water. Now every person interprets this differently.

While this is one type of question, another type of question is a scenario. Where you will be given 3-5 emotions and you have to select on a scale of 1-10 the level that emotion was induced within you due to that scenario.

The most useful tip I can give you is never, never, never fake an answer that is testing your personality. These are the most common questions in this test.

An example of this being "I would rather spend a night alone watching a movie compared to watching it with friends at a cinema". They would then give you a scale out of 10, with 1 being completely agree and 10 being completely disagree. So here they are testing if you are an introvert vs extrovert. Now you may think they love students that interact with people, so you select 7-9, which is that you disagree.

Great, now 5 questions later they may ask the same thing in a different scenario.
Example: "After a long day at work, I like to relax by myself compared to spending time with friends"

Now when I put this side by side, it's quite obvious, but when you are continuously doing questions, you will most likely try to choose answers you believe are ideal/wanted and because of this you will forget to apply that "idealisation of answers" throughout the test, leading to contradictions = lying to the examiners.

Examples (first 6 pages) https://www.researchgate.net/profile/David_Dunaetz/post/How_data_about_Leaders_unethical_behavior_can_be_collected_from_followers_Is_there_any_way_to_approach_followers/attachment/5cdd7027cfe4a7968da060ee/AS:759188447842308@1558016039595/download/MSCEIT+Sample+Emotional+Intelligence.pdf

Section 2 examples - all to do with emotions (similar to UMAT section 2)
1) Dominic is usually quite happy at work and things also go well at home. He thought that he and his co-worker were generally fairly paid and treated well. Today, everyone in his unit received a modest across-the-board pay increase as part of adjustments in salary. Rashard felt _____
  • Surprised and shocked
  • Peaceful and quiet
  • content and elated
  • humbled and guilty
  • proud and dominant

2) Roy's teacher has just called roy's parents to say that roy is doing poorly in school. The teacher tells roy's parents that their son is not paying attention, is being disruptive and can't sit still. This particular teacher does not do well with active boys, and Roy's parents wonder what is really going on. Then the teacher says that their son will be left back unless he improves. The parents feel very angry. How helpful to their son is each of these reaction?

• Response 1 - parents told the teacher that this was a big shock to them since this was the firs time they had ever heard there was a problem. They ask to meet with the teacher and also requested if the principal could attend the meeting.
    1. Very ineffective
    2. Some what ineffective
    3. Neutral
    4. Some what effective
    5. Very effective

Interviews:

Q1: " 4 or 8 stations + timings of stations + information per station?"
So the interview process has changed recently, it was different in 2018 and then last year in 2019.

In 2018, there was 8 stations, total of 8 questions, 7 minutes each + two minutes rest stop, with pre-reading of the question before entering the interviewers room.

In 2019 and 2020, there was 4 question stations, 1 main question and then 1 follow up question, making it 2 questions per station. 4 rest stations with the same 2 mins pre reading as before.

Q2: "Just wondering what types of questions each of those stations are based on"
In terms of the questions asked, it is based on you as an individual rather than your merit. I have listed certain areas below
  • Teamwork
  • Leadership
  • Ethics and morals (Scenario)
  • General medicine related
  • Dispute resolution (scenario)
  • Dealing with medicine-related stress
  • Integration of life experiences with responses (life/studies) → how has it influenced you to pursue medicine
  • Strengths and weaknesses
  • Regrets and achievements
  • Learning experience
  • Failure
  • Volunteer work/Employment
This is just a list made from previous questions but hopefully you can see that it is more on your past experiences/qualities rather than a specific topic. This can be quite different to other universities, who may have more direct specific questions. An example being JCU, who like asking questions regarding the rural issues faced.

Q3: "Strategies for the interview"

Since you only have 8 mins per station, it is important that you don't go overboard, otherwise the marker, who is also marking the others sitting the interview, will easily get bored. I like to follow the follow template:

Let me give you a common question was "What qualities do you think will make you a good doctor?"

1) Rephrase the question as a statement to confirm with the marker that you have understood it
2) Always stick to the rule of 3: pick 3 qualities that you will talk about
2a) Quality A = keeping an open mind
2b) Give a quick past experience, where you have had to keep an open mind and what that taught you
2c) Now upon reflection, talk about how you would utilise this quality in a healthcare setting.
3) Repeat for other 2 qualities.

I have found this to be a good approach for nearly all questions, as you are not pre-planning any question but instead have a framework to fall back on.

Feel free to reply to this thread if you any more questions !

Kind Regards,
Bond99
Hi I had interview last year with Bond unfortunately didn’t get in. Then I study physio for one year. However my GPA not enough to get to have psychometric. This year I transfer from physio to science. Just wondering if I apply Bond next year, how do they calculate my GPA. Do they only use my this year’s GPA or include last year’s physio one? Thanks in advance

anonli

Hi I had interview last year with Bond unfortunately didn’t get in. Then I study physio for one year. However my GPA not enough to get to have psychometric. This year I transfer from physio to science. Just wondering if I apply Bond next year, how do they calculate my GPA. Do they only use my this year’s GPA or include last year’s physio one? Thanks in advance
They will combine your GPA from physio and science