Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UoO: Alternative ('Other') Category Chat/Enquiries

I finally got an interview and a step closer of making my dream come true! After Bsc and BPharm (plus almost 10years of health related work experience combined) I have been given a chance to show my worth… I’m nervous for the interview but I must say, I waited long enough! Bring it on! :D
Congratulations :) what an amazing feeling!

Bootleg

Hi all, you probably know this but if you were unsuccessful in your application I’ve just learnt that there is an option to appeal. It needs to be done within 10 days of recieving your letter and it needs to follow the Appeal process under Appeals Statute 2011, Policies and regulations, University of Otago, New Zealand 💫
I don't think the Appeals Statute 2011 is applicable here. You can still try but on the admission websites it stipulates that "The Medical Admissions Committee will not enter into any correspondence regarding application outcome or interview."

Facebook

I finally got an interview and a step closer of making my dream come true! After Bsc and BPharm (plus almost 10years of health related work experience combined) I have been given a chance to show my worth… I’m nervous for the interview but I must say, I waited long enough! Bring it on! :D
Your worth is not dependent on what training you have, what you do, or whose boxes you tick.

drum99

UoA MBChB III
Anyone got any advice for interview prep?
One thing I remember doing was setting up a mock interview where I got my family to do a Zoom interview with me and grill me for like 45 mins......I'd recommend doing that cos it's such good practice ha! Also there's heaps of health reforms going on at the moment so have a read up on that. Health inequities are always good to be informed on. Have a basic idea of how to answer medical ethics questions - 4 pillars of medical ethics are always a good starting point. Google some MMI ethical scenarios, there's question banks online. Other than that, just know your CV and statement inside out, cos I remember they asked me a really obscure question lol that I really had to think on the fly about......

When is it? Good luck all for interviews!

Hayley88

One thing I remember doing was setting up a mock interview where I got my family to do a Zoom interview with me and grill me for like 45 mins......I'd recommend doing that cos it's such good practice ha! Also there's heaps of health reforms going on at the moment so have a read up on that. Health inequities are always good to be informed on. Have a basic idea of how to answer medical ethics questions - 4 pillars of medical ethics are always a good starting point. Google some MMI ethical scenarios, there's question banks online. Other than that, just know your CV and statement inside out, cos I remember they asked me a really obscure question lol that I really had to think on the fly about......

When is it? Good luck all for interviews!
Thanks for that info has helped my prep already. I just found UoA has a good (free) MMI prep website too. Interview is Monday next week eek!

Hi guys,
Just want to ask a question regarding the alternative category, I have noticed that it doesn't say along the lines of "5 years work experience as a health professional" anymore. Like it used to a few years ago when I looked at this pathway.

I have worked as a Registered Nurse for 3 years now and have now worked in various areas at a DHB hospital (Medical, Surgical, Stroke Unit, CCU, & ED), just wondering if I'm able to fit the criteria for this category? Or will I still need 2 more years to meet the 5 years experience?

Thank you guys in advance for your kind response to this question.

ithinkican

How did interviews go? I think mine was ok, only one ethics question
Hi! I felt pretty good about mine - eventually relaxed and got to be myself, open up and talk about what I'm passionate about...I gave it my best so I'm trying not to replay it in my head too much lol. But the wait is going to feel like an eternity! Wishing everyone on this journey good luck, kia kaha.

Eddie M

Lurker
Had my interview and it went okay I guess... oh well, there's no point dwelling on it now! Happy to answer questions as to how it went and also keen to hear about how the interviews were for everybody else. Wishing you all the best!

How did interviews go? I think mine was ok, only one ethics question
When I did my interview, I actually didn't get asked any ethics questions - honestly have no clue as to why not...

prw1

Kia ora koutou, I am an Alternative category candidate for 2023. My background is 7 years of working experience as an allied health professional in the hospital and 15 years of community service. I took HSFY before my undergraduate professional degree.

I love what I do in my career but have chosen to switch into medicine as I want to broaden my medical knowledge and skills and have more responsibility for improving people’s health outcomes.

I have enjoyed the application process and interview because it made me reflect on my previous experiences and how they would help me achieve my goals in the future.

The biggest challenge for me is being in limbo for the final outcome. This feels like longest wait ever!!!! I cannot resist the urge to frequently check my inbox and evision even though I know that it doesn’t ever come early.

What does one do to make the time pass more swiftly?

Thank you so much to everyone who has contributed this long-standing thread. I came across this after my interview but I am astonished by the timeless insight it brings.

Best of luck to everyone who has made it this far and to the future applicants who are reading this now

ithinkican

Kia ora koutou, I am an Alternative category candidate for 2023. My background is 7 years of working experience as an allied health professional in the hospital and 15 years of community service. I took HSFY before my undergraduate professional degree.

I love what I do in my career but have chosen to switch into medicine as I want to broaden my medical knowledge and skills and have more responsibility for improving people’s health outcomes.

I have enjoyed the application process and interview because it made me reflect on my previous experiences and how they would help me achieve my goals in the future.

The biggest challenge for me is being in limbo for the final outcome. This feels like longest wait ever!!!! I cannot resist the urge to frequently check my inbox and evision even though I know that it doesn’t ever come early.

Thank you so much to everyone who has contributed this long-standing thread. I came across this after my interview but I am astonished by the timeless insight it brings.

Best of luck to everyone who has made it this far and to the future applicants who are reading this now
Kia ora, nice to meet you! My suggestion is to pick up a new sport, hobby, exercise, bake, read or binge Netflix to take your mind off the wait. I'd also love to know how others are doing and what you guys are doing to pass time?! I'm so tempted to email Otago to ask if I'm in or not. Just 3.5 weeks left to wait!

prw1

Kia ora, nice to meet you! My suggestion is to pick up a new sport, hobby, exercise, bake, read or binge Netflix to take your mind off the wait. I'd also love to know how others are doing and what you guys are doing to pass time?! I'm so tempted to email Otago to ask if I'm in or not. Just 3.5 weeks left to wait!
Kia ora! Thank you for your suggestions! Baking is one that I haven’t tried yet to distract myself- will give it a whirl. The wait time is much shorter now than the time since interviews!

Hayley88

Hi! It’s definitely feeling like a very long wait especially these last few weeks. Keeping fingers and toes crossed for a good result

ithinkican

Guys...ithinkican't wait any longer! I'm wondering if anyone has emailed or called admissions in the past to ask for an early hint as to whether ones in or not?! Would that be a terrible thing to do?? Hope you guys are doing ok x

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Guys...ithinkican't wait any longer! I'm wondering if anyone has emailed or called admissions in the past to ask for an early hint as to whether ones in or not?! Would that be a terrible thing to do?? Hope you guys are doing ok x
It wouldn’t be a terrible thing to do, but I also can’t imagine it would be successful (or particularly appreciated by admissions staff!).

drum99

UoA MBChB III
I double checked my emails and I got the offer on 4th September (in 2020 mind due), so might be a few weeks left unfortunately!! You got this!!