Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UMAT scores

Piklet

Auckland MBChB IV
Update, my interview feedback was recently sent to me and it said I was "above average" compared to those interviewed. So, please secure those 9 or 8.75 GPAs! I don't want any of you to have to suffer a heartache of being so close yet so far to your dream like me.
Someone missed out on an offer with a 9.0 GPA this year so probably don't get too complacent even after getting a 8.75/9.0.

catty

I appreciate and respect your opinions. However, since I experienced these events most recently and am a declined candidate, I strongly believe the interview is a huge lottery. Whether it is interpreted that I am angry or whether I am disrespectful to the many health professionals who give up their valuable time is subject to negotiation. I simply say it how it is. For interviewers to tell me straight to my face "very top answer" and now since my grades and UMAT are regarded as high, I therefore, can only blame my performance in the interview for my decline. As a result I was falsely blinded by their "feedback". My motivations, career choice, respect for cultures, empathy and knowledge on the profession I can only say in the most humblest way is 100% all present. My point is the interviewer in no way can see all these attributes in 1 interview. Whether or not all candidates sit a similar setting is irregardless of the fact that some may be better at presenting their attributes and showcasing it than others and I still believe the interviewers own liking towards candidate plays a big part, along with bias towards certain races (e.g. I am from Korea). That's the fact of the world we live in, I learnt it the hard way. Which is why my advice is to nail your core papers to avoid a possible collapse in the interview due to simply luck or the "lottery" that is the interview. At the end of the day the public wants better trained and qualified dotors, to admit much lower GPA and UMAT students which is 75% of the admittance for the reason of some attribute is simply blasphemous. If you want to have an insight on the qualities and type of person an individual is, go live a day with that candidate see the struggles they face every day, see what they have to do to simply survive and see the attitude of a person towards life and towards the medical profession. 6 minutes at each station in no way shape or form can cause a judgement to be made on a hard working motivated individual who could miss out simply due to questions that don't lead up to such passion nor the interviewer who may misinterpret such qualities. Therefore, it certainly is a very big lottery. Which you can avoid its unfortune if you attain 8.75 or 9 gpa. If you perform well that's a bonus. Mana and Olive advice is very much appreciated but I'm telling you first years how it is. So destroy your cores get those A+s in favourabaly all of them and it is possible with continual hard work and motivation and then do your best in the interview, if it goes well that's a bonus, if not then you have your gpa to fall back on.

I am personally looking at graduate entry into otago where the interview is not a factor to avoid a potential 2nd heartbreak, furthermore, auckland uni has simply lost my respect and many of my peers' respect both those accepted and rejected, due to the nature of their admittance process. Once again simply our opinion and no need for anyone to get worked up over it, all I please request is you respect our opinion as we do yours.

Have a great 2018 everyone.
Hi...I can understand what you going through. Be strong and study hard to achieve your goal in Otago. You have worked hard last year...but there must be a reason for rejection....take this as a positive note and you will see something good will come out of it. I wish you all the best and please post when you get it...would love to know.

Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads