Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UTAS UTAS Medicine: General Discussion

biom

Supreme Overlord of the Chatbox
Yes Sterras I’m in the same boat and it’s certainly not a good feeling - they’ve also updated it so that we must accept by Monday instead of Sunday, but at this rate it looks like we won’t even be able to do that :eek:
In previous years, the emails have sometimes come very late in the evening. This left the students to wonder if it was a prank call..... but it was real and the emails did arrive.

Best wishes for your studies and the move to Tassie.

Panda111

WSU MD I
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone who received a phone call yesterday for the med research guaranteed pathway at UTAS has recived the offer on email today?? Apparently it was meant to come but im still waiting Thanks !!!
I just received a call today and was told I'll receive the email on Tuesday because Monday is a public holiday in tassie so don't stress!

gurubps

I just received a call today and was told I'll receive the email on Tuesday because Monday is a public holiday in tassie so don't stress!

Congrats on the offer Panda111. Would you please mind sharing your section 2 UMAT score as I have not received an offer yet?

DocX

UTas MBBS 2021- 2025
For those who got a BMedRes guaranteed MBBS acceptance, or anyone who is undertaking BMedRes, here is the link to the Facebook group if you didn’t see the post in the other thread:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/709960119210504/?ref=group_browse_new
Make sure to join if you are in this group!

D

Deleted member 32959

If anyone on the fringes / waitlisted in UTAS for Med there could be an offer as my friend advised that one person quit the program yesterday from UTAS Medicine. They would fill it up to maintain the quota, I was told. In extreme cases, it may happen up to 22 March census date for new offers as necessitated by the exodus from the program. Please recheck with UTAS admissions to corroborate this statement.:)

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
If anyone on the fringes / waitlisted in UTAS for Med there could be an offer as my friend advised that one person quit the program yesterday from UTAS Medicine. They would fill it up to maintain the quota, I was told. In extreme cases, it may happen up to 22 March census date for new offers as necessitated by the exodus from the program. Please recheck with UTAS admissions to corroborate this statement.:)

Yesterday we were told there were 119 students enrolled. I noted today (day two of compulsory orientation) that 3 ‘welcome packs’ remained uncollected.

Nycryte

UTAS MBBS I
So some of you may remember about 3 weeks ago i was told by utas they'd calculated my atar equivalent to be 74 then a conveniently-just-below-the-hurdle 93.
Well after like 3 weeks of arguing and emailing the vice chancellor of utas and getting my school to back me and contact utas too, utas just emailed me to say they've recalculated my atar equivalent to be 99.15.
Hopefully something good comes from this but i guess it probs won't seeing as no interstate non rurals seemed to get an offer here.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
So some of you may remember about 3 weeks ago i was told by utas they'd calculated my atar equivalent to be 74 then a conveniently-just-below-the-hurdle 93.
Well after like 3 weeks of arguing and emailing the vice chancellor of utas and getting my school to back me and contact utas too, utas just emailed me to say they've recalculated my atar equivalent to be 99.15.
Hopefully something good comes from this but i guess it probs won't seeing as no interstate non rurals seemed to get an offer here.

They didn’t post an offer here, but there are definitely some in my class because I’ve met one. A non-rural school leaver interstater from Adelaide. I don’t know her ‘scores’.

As I mentioned, there has already been one withdrawal. And three people who don’t appear to have attended orientation (which may or may not mean anything).

Congrats to all who started earlier this month! So, does anyone know what UMAT %ile might be required to get into MBBS, for those who weren't offered a guaranteed entry, after completing the first year of BMedRes?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Congrats to all who started earlier this month! So, does anyone know what UMAT %ile might be required to get into MBBS, for those who weren't offered a guaranteed entry, after completing the first year of BMedRes?

No, and we are very unlikely to because 2019 entry is going to look very different to all entry years that have gone before it. It will be a waiting game, the results of which we will hopefully be able to use to inform 2020 entry year applicants.

Nycryte

UTAS MBBS I
Don't really know if this is the correct place to post this but i posted here earlier so anyway, following from these messages:
emailed utas this morning, this was the response:
Whilst you have a wonderful UMAT score, the ATAR requirement for Interstate non-rural applicants is over 95.
Your ATAR equivalent is 74 and therefore well below the requirement for entry into Medicine.
tfw satac gives you an atar equivalent of 99.6 and qtac gives you OP1 but UTAS reckons that's a 74. rip

In that response from UTAS above they also said I needed to come up with syllabuses for English and Chem. Took me a while to get those from my School but I did on Tuesday and sent them to UTAS and requesting in my email that they consider sending me an offer for on the condition that I defer till next year since I'm sure all med spots have been taken for this year. Thankfully I got a call from head of admissions today who said that she couldn't yet validate my chem prereq but she was happy to offer me a place that will be automatically deferred till 2019 and that if my chem isn't validated after Easter I can do a bridging course.
Just got the email confirming my deferred offer.

Course Type: Med
Offer Received: Yes
University: UTAS
UMAT: 99th %ile, 208, 73/62/73
ATAR or GPA: 99.15 equivalent
Application Type: School leaver, NSW
Special Considerations: None
Offer Type: CSP, automatically deferred

So now I can drop out of UQ a day before census date :)

biom

Supreme Overlord of the Chatbox
Thankfully I got a call from head of admissions today who said that she couldn't yet validate my chem prereq but she was happy to offer me a place that will be automatically deferred till 2019 and that if my chem isn't validated after Easter I can do a bridging course. Just got the email confirming my deferred offer.

So now I can drop out of UQ a day before census date :)
Congratulations!!

That is an extraordinary outcome. Well done for your perseverance.

LMG! can explain how it doesn't really rain in Tassie... :)

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Are there many 2019 UTAS hopefuls around? Is it worth starting our own thread?

So far, I think there’s mostly you! Sorry! I’ll put you in touch with anyone else who comes along.

ETA: traditionally, there hasn’t been much UTAS traffic around these parts but I kinda ramped it up for 2017/2018 entry so it’s been busier the last couple of years. Because there are no interviews/interview invites, the hype is generally a bit more delayed (if it happens at all).