Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UTAS UTAS Medicine: BMedRes/MBBS Guaranteed Entry

parsons

I got an email today for an expression of interest for the guaranteed entry scheme into UTAS med. I just need to know what the chances are of me getting an offer for this scheme if I register my interest.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
I got an email today for an expression of interest for the guaranteed entry scheme into UTAS med. I just need to know what the chances are of me getting an offer for this scheme if I register my interest.

I believe, if you are offered the EOI, and you are indeed interested, you’re basically assured of a spot in the guaranteed entry program.

parsons

I believe, if you are offered the EOI, and you are indeed interested, you’re basically assured of a spot in the guaranteed entry program.

Are you absolutely sure? Just asking cause this is what was written in the email that was sent to me

Following your expression of interest, we will rank your application competitively and will be advising successful candidates into this course via telephone in the week beginning Monday 4th February 2019.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Are you absolutely sure? Just asking cause this is what was written in the email that was sent to me

Following your expression of interest, we will rank your application competitively and will be advising successful candidates into this course via telephone in the week beginning Monday 4th February 2019.

Oh, interesting. My advice was admittedly based on previous years and, tbh, UTAS have literally thrown the rule book out for 2019! That said, last year we had about ~15 applicants report being offered this opportunity and I think maybe 2 actually took it up (as most had offers elsewhere), so I’d say your chances are pretty good if you’re keen.

ETA: the more I think about this, the more I think the wording in the email is super weird. Given all applicants invited to provide an EOI for this pathway already applied for direct entry and thus have already been ranked, I have no idea why re-ranking is required? Surely they know how many places they can offer via the guaranteed entry pathway, so surely they can also just go down the MBBS Applicants Ranking Lists for the various pathways (rural, local, interstate), start at the first unsuccessful applicants, and offer until they’ve filled the spots. This makes it seem like the ranking process for guaranteed entry is different in some way to the direct entry ranking process (but surely it’s not??).

Last edited:

parsons

Oh, interesting. My advice was admittedly based on previous years and, tbh, UTAS have literally thrown the rule book out for 2019! That said, last year we had about ~15 applicants report being offered this opportunity and I think maybe 2 actually took it up (as most had offers elsewhere), so I’d say your chances are pretty good if you’re keen.

ETA: the more I think about this, the more I think the wording in the email is super weird. Given all applicants invited to provide an EOI for this pathway already applied for direct entry and thus have already been ranked, I have no idea why re-ranking is required? Surely they know how many places they can offer via the guaranteed entry pathway, so surely they can also just go down the MBBS Applicants Ranking Lists for the various pathways (rural, local, interstate), start at the first unsuccessful applicants, and offer until they’ve filled the spots. This makes it seem like the ranking process for guaranteed entry is different in some way to the direct entry ranking process (but surely it’s not??).

Yeh it is a bit weird. Maybe they only wanted to send their offers to the people that are interested and not waste their time by simply sending offers to the next 20 people in the list, considering that most of these next 20 people would have gotten offers elsewhere.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Yeh it is a bit weird. Maybe they only wanted to send their offers to the people that are interested and not waste their time by simply sending offers to the next 20 people in the list, considering that most of these next 20 people would have gotten offers elsewhere.

But in reality, it's no more difficult than what they've presumably done by sending emails out the way they have to you? To be honest, who bloody knows? Haha! While admissions is a pain in the ass for UTAS (and elsewhere, probably, ngl), the actual course itself, well first year anyway as that's all I've experienced to date, is pretty excellent, so if you're keen, definitely let them know, and best of luck to you!

seabird

Hey there!

I'm moving interstate to start the BMedRes as part of the guaranteed entry scheme next week and I've got a couple of question re textbooks. The thing is, it seems infinitely less expensive to buy cheap textbooks for my sem 1 units from Sydney (lightly used at $10 onward, convenient pick ups) but I'm not sure if it's worth buying the textbooks before I move in case I don't end up needing them.

The only textbook required from the unit outlines is Chemistry (3rd edition, pub. Wiley) for KRA113, the 4th edition of which is available at the coop bookstore.

Other textbooks that the coop bookstore says are required but aren't mentioned on the unit outlines (which don't seem to have been updated since last year) are:
- Fundamentals of Anatomy & Physiology (11th edition, pub. Pearson) for CZZ101
- Get Ready for A&P for CZZ101
- Martini's Atlas of the Human Body for CZZ101

How many of these textbooks will I actually need/use? (I definitely prefer learning from lectures but also appreciate clear images/diagrams from textbooks.) Obviously, my main concern is that I'm finding it a lot more difficult to find cheap textbook sellers in Tasmania right now and I don't know how that will change when I move.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated!

Whynot101

WSU MD I
Hey there!

I'm moving interstate to start the BMedRes as part of the guaranteed entry scheme next week and I've got a couple of question re textbooks. The thing is, it seems infinitely less expensive to buy cheap textbooks for my sem 1 units from Sydney (lightly used at $10 onward, convenient pick ups) but I'm not sure if it's worth buying the textbooks before I move in case I don't end up needing them.

The only textbook required from the unit outlines is Chemistry (3rd edition, pub. Wiley) for KRA113, the 4th edition of which is available at the coop bookstore.

Other textbooks that the coop bookstore says are required but aren't mentioned on the unit outlines (which don't seem to have been updated since last year) are:

How many of these textbooks will I actually need/use? (I definitely prefer learning from lectures but also appreciate clear images/diagrams from textbooks.) Obviously, my main concern is that I'm finding it a lot more difficult to find cheap textbook sellers in Tasmania right now and I don't know how that will change when I move.

Hi congrats on the offer

Just finished first year and it all depends on your goals. I aimed to get the highest possible mark so I did use all the textbooks you mentioned regularly. But I know people that got well above what they needed to maintain their guarantee without touching the textbook ( or even owning it)

seabird

Hi congrats on the offer

Just finished first year and it all depends on your goals. I aimed to get the highest possible mark so I did use all the textbooks you mentioned regularly. But I know people that got well above what they needed to maintain their guarantee without touching the textbook ( or even owning it)

Thank you!! I think I will get the textbooks then :)

Is there any chance you would be selling/know anyone who would be selling these textbooks at reduced prices in Hobart?

Whynot101

WSU MD I
Thank you!! I think I will get the textbooks then :)

Is there any chance you would be selling/know anyone who would be selling these textbooks at reduced prices in Hobart?
no worries! would have loved to help you but at WSU starting med tomorrow now :lol: . I'll let you know if I hear of anyone selling! But you're right if you can get them cheaper on the mainland then do that, even if you post them to your future tasmanian self or something.
Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions!

seabird

no worries! would have loved to help you but at WSU starting med tomorrow now :lol: . I'll let you know if I hear of anyone selling! But you're right if you can get them cheaper on the mainland then do that, even if you post them to your future tasmanian self or something.
Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions!
congrats!! and thank you so much for the help!

Ashro

Hey there!

What UMAT and ATAR did you get?