Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Auckland NZ Internships for NZ Citizens Completing Med in Aus

Lola92

Lurker
Hi everyone!
I'm a NZ citizen that left NZ to study medicine in Australia 4 years ago. I'm looking to apply for an internship position in NZ for next year but I'm really worried of the likelihood of actually being offered a position. I have heard it is incredibly hard to come back to NZ as an intern and have only heard of one success story so far. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hi everyone!
I'm a NZ citizen that left NZ to study medicine in Australia 4 years ago. I'm looking to apply for an internship position in NZ for next year but I'm really worried of the likelihood of actually being offered a position. I have heard it is incredibly hard to come back to NZ as an intern and have only heard of one success story so far. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

As far as I'm aware, we don't have any current regular members who have done what you're asking about. We may have a few that know some anecdotal stories or have some stats they can share with you, but no personal experience.

rustyedges frootloop Stuart, any clues?

rustyedges

Hi Lola, according to the ACE website, the programme for applying for first year jobs in NZ, "71% of the ACE applicants graduating from an Australian medical school were offered a first year House Officer position through the ACE match process or via the Talent Pool."
So quite good odds, depending on the strength of your applications and what DHBs you would want to work in.

You can find more information about applying on the ACE website: RMO

frootloop

Doctor
As rusty says, your odds of getting a job aren't bad (although they're probably going to be a little lower than that 70% this year with the bigger Otago graduating class).

But I wouldn't necessarily bank on getting the location you want. It very much helps having trained at the location you want, having references from bosses who work there etc.

nessa9719

Lurker
As rusty says, your odds of getting a job aren't bad (although they're probably going to be a little lower than that 70% this year with the bigger Otago graduating class).

But I wouldn't necessarily bank on getting the location you want. It very much helps having trained at the location you want, having references from bosses who work there etc.
I know this post was posted about a year ago, but I was wondering if there were any more updates regarding this?? The only statistic I've found so far is the 1 Australian graduate getting an internship in 2019.

Also, would having trained at the location and getting references help much? considering we'd be category 2 and they only consider us after they've fully allocated internships to category 2 applicants (correct me if i'm wrong)

memel0rd

Hi everyone!
Wasn’t sure where to post this but does anyone know the chances of securing an internship in NZ (for an NZ citizen) after graduating from an Aus medical school?

Thanks!

Last edited:

lordgarlic

MSO Kiwi #1
Emeritus Staff
Hi everyone!
Wasn’t sure where to post this but does anyone know the chances of securing an internship in NZ (for an NZ citizen) after graduating from an Aus medical school?

Thanks!

If you look at the 2019 ACE match report (publicly available on the ACE website), the odds are abysmal. This was in part due to the fact that there were more category 1 applicants (NZ citizens/PRs from NZ universities) than actual PGY1 positions initially (507 vs 501). Therefore DHBs needed to urgently create 6 extra PGY1 positions.

You'll find that 1/11 category 2 applicants got matched in the end

The reality is, you're much better off trying to come back in PGY2 or PGY3 than you are trying to get a position in PGY1 at the moment

Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads