Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

HSFY 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bootleg

Alright, knowing what we know about our own/our friends grades from sem 1, what are everyone's predictions of the GPA you will need for med. I'm thinking you'll be pretty safe with 95-96+. :)
Dont you think 95 is a bit too high? I think nm its too high. Considering the people that post on MSO are usually much higher than average. I know people that haven't necessary done as well as they could have, and this applies to me aswell. Also, considering only 26 ppl in my hall got A- average or higher with a majority around 85% ish
I reckon anything above 90% is more than enough to get you into med imo

Fili

Dentist 🦷
Dont you think 95 is a bit too high? I think nm its too high. Considering the people that post on MSO are usually much higher than average. I know people that haven't necessary done as well as they could have, and this applies to me aswell. Also, considering only 26 ppl in my hall got A- average or higher
I reckon anything above 90% is more than enough to get you into med imo

Imho, at this point your safest bet is 93%+.
The health sci papers have become easier from previous years as they have removed a lot of content and even entire modules from the papers. Likewise, it's purely just grades now so yeah. I'm not sure about your hall but in my hall back in 2017, we all thought our cohort was worse than 2016's cohort but the rank score needed to get into med increased. 26 people really can't provide much insight to the thousands of applicants trying to get into med via HSFY.

qwrty

Lurker
hi team, just a 2yr med student popping in for some encouragement!
  • This time last year life really sucked. I was literally so positive I wasn’t gonna get into med, my 8th paper had been an absolute shit show (nice1 MAOR), and I was so so so sick of studying.
  • BUT
  • YOU WILL GET THROUGH IT
  • take every day as it comes, focus on the good stuff in life (friends, schnacks, funny cat videos) and don’t forget to keep ur family in the loop! as well as that, I personally found it helped to paint and especially dire picture so that their expectations would be low, and that way I didn’t feel pressured waiting for offers (they ended up being more surprised than me when I actually got in).
  • Also watch out for post-heathsci depression! During the year, tunnel-vision kinda stopped me from actually feeling my feelings and then when it was over and I had nothing left to distract me it all kinda hit and it was a bit rough for the first few weeks of November- so when you get home surround yourself with friends & family and keep your heads UP!
  • No matter what happens with finals and offers, you have done an incredible job this year and you should all be so proud of yourselves!
K bye I’m gonna go study path & cry

newcomers

Hey 👋🏾! I was just wondering if anyone has got any ‘ticks’ on their evision for applications via HSFY, like for the English requirement, ucat id etc.
🙏

Fili

Dentist 🦷
Doubt anything will be ticked soon as applications just closed 4 days ago and this is the first year they are doing UCAT + UCAT thresholds for first years not just undergrads.

UCAT ID will probably be ticked in the next 3 weeks since dentistry interviews are on October 8-9 and they need to give interview offers out. For med, I hear the UCAT thresholds will be known only til mid-November (I saw this somewhere around the Otago forums not sure where).

hi team, just a 2yr med student popping in for some encouragement!
  • This time last year life really sucked. I was literally so positive I wasn’t gonna get into med, my 8th paper had been an absolute shit show (nice1 MAOR), and I was so so so sick of studying.
  • BUT
  • YOU WILL GET THROUGH IT
  • take every day as it comes, focus on the good stuff in life (friends, schnacks, funny cat videos) and don’t forget to keep ur family in the loop! as well as that, I personally found it helped to paint and especially dire picture so that their expectations would be low, and that way I didn’t feel pressured waiting for offers (they ended up being more surprised than me when I actually got in).
  • Also watch out for post-heathsci depression! During the year, tunnel-vision kinda stopped me from actually feeling my feelings and then when it was over and I had nothing left to distract me it all kinda hit and it was a bit rough for the first few weeks of November- so when you get home surround yourself with friends & family and keep your heads UP!
  • No matter what happens with finals and offers, you have done an incredible job this year and you should all be so proud of yourselves!
K bye I’m gonna go study path & cry

Does it get better? Like med good? Better than health sci? Please explain a bit more about what it is like if you don't mind?

ls12345

What's the prediction for thresholds? Does anyone know what percentile for UMAT it's been in the past for each section?

Fili

Dentist 🦷
It changes every year and used to vary from a raw score of ~40-50. In my year (2017), it was a score of 43 per section which was ~26th percentile.

Since this is the first year of UCAT, it's a bit of an unknown and really depends on the cohort applying. I've asked AskOtago and the FMHS admissions multiple times regarding UCAT and they told me "it really depends on the cohort that applies" meaning that if everyone does bad then we can expect thresholds to be low but if everyone does amazingly well then it can be high.

Fili

Dentist 🦷
Damn, thought it was a bigger limiting factor than that hmmm. Thanks for sharing!

That was UMAT though and it could really change regarding UCAT. Idk how everyone who applied for dent (or med) did but it really depends on the applicants.

They'll typically choose the top 300 UCAT scorers (across all sections) applying for interview and set the threshold at that point. In previous years, most students going for med would focus on sections 1 and 2 and neglect section 3 in UMAT. I had a few friends in med who did this tactic and were not offered a dent interview due to a low S3.

Imho it will change this year considering UCAT is a threshold and everyone will just be trying to get above threshold for all sections + ofc many of those applying for med will do so for dent as well and will be part of the cohort to choose from for interviews.

circe191

When do you find out if you've been selected for an interview for Dent? And if you have been selected, is this an indication your grades are in the right ballpark for med (I've heard from a course advisor that sometimes the Dent average is higher than for med - although that may be BS).

Fili

Dentist 🦷
When do you find out if you've been selected for an interview for Dent? And if you have been selected, is this an indication your grades are in the right ballpark for med (I've heard from a course advisor that sometimes the Dent average is higher than for med - although that may be BS).

In 2017, interview offers came out ~23rd of September. Interview offers are based on your UCAT and if you've passed threshold on each section. Your grades aren't taken into account for interview offers as far as I know.

They probably said it was higher in previous years since they used to use rank score where the UMAT and GPA was taken into account for med. For dent, UCAT is used to see if you are given an interview and the final selection is based just on your grades.

ls12345

Getting an interview is based on the UCAT thresholds and not grades. If you get an interview that just means that you passed the threshold. Grades come in only after the end of year exams. Interview offers should be pretty soon since the interviews will be held Oct 8-9

jaejoong

I think in 2018 they came out on 28th September :)

Status
Not open for further replies.