Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Flinders Flinders Medicine: Provisional Entry General Discussion

yoooo

i think with bonus points my atar is 99.95 (99.6 raw and i did the ib so the math and literacy points thingo?). However, (i forgot but i am pretty sure) my ucat is 2600 which translates to 68 percentile. what are my chances of getting into flinders (at all, i dont really care that it is like the last last last calls as its my homestate :'))

i think with bonus points my atar is 99.95 (99.6 raw and i did the ib so the math and literacy points thingo?). However, (i forgot but i am pretty sure) my ucat is 2600 which translates to 68 percentile. what are my chances of getting into flinders (at all, i dont really care that it is like the last last last calls as its my homestate :'))

I know a few people who got a UMAT around the 60-70%ile and got an offer at Flinders (with a 99.95 ATAR ofc). But this was back when different UMAT sections had different weightings. I believe offers at Flinders are now based on your overall UCAT score, so it's a bit hard to predict. Have you tried calling Flinders to see where you are on the waitlist? They usually give you a rough indicator of where you are on the list.

Btw were your bonus points subject ones because Flinders doesn't accept subject bonuses for med - pretty sure only UES bonuses are applicable.

Last edited:

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator

Yes, as has been pointed out, unless your ‘bonus points’ are for UES, then they don’t apply to Flinders and regardless of your (likely too low anyway UCAT), your ATAR won’t quite be enough for an offer.

From SATAC
“The Universities Language, Literacy and Mathematics Scheme encourages students to strengthen their preparation for undergraduate studies by undertaking a language other than English, or specified English and Mathematics subjects.

The Scheme will apply to all courses offered by Charles Darwin University, Flinders University, the University of Adelaide, University of South Australia, SAIBT, Tabor and Torrens University Australia except:

Flinders University
  • 214941 Bachelor of Clinical Sciences/Doctor of Medicine”

Last edited:

yoooo

Yes, as has been pointed out, unless your ‘bonus points’ are for UES, then they don’t apply to Flinders and regardless of your (likely too low anyway UCAT), your ATAR won’t quite be enough for an offer.

From SATAC
“The Universities Language, Literacy and Mathematics Scheme encourages students to strengthen their preparation for undergraduate studies by undertaking a language other than English, or specified English and Mathematics subjects.

The Scheme will apply to all courses offered by Charles Darwin University, Flinders University, the University of Adelaide, University of South Australia, SAIBT, Tabor and Torrens University Australia except:

Flinders University
  • 214941 Bachelor of Clinical Sciences/Doctor of Medicine”
oh no! thank you!! guess I'll have to move then :(

Desperato

Desperato
Hey guys,
So I currently live in Sydney, NSW and got an offer to study at Flinders University Provisional Medicine. My atar was 99.35 and did not get any offers in NSW due to my low UCAT. Should I take a gap year and do UCAT or start studying at Flinders and try doing UCAT again. My atar was good enough and will be if I take a gap year so should I do that or start fresh and get a high gpa.

A1

Rookie Doc
Hey guys,
So I currently live in Sydney, NSW and got an offer to study at Flinders University Provisional Medicine. My atar was 99.35 and did not get any offers in NSW due to my low UCAT. Should I take a gap year and do UCAT or start studying at Flinders and try doing UCAT again. My atar was good enough and will be if I take a gap year so should I do that or start fresh and get a high gpa.

To clarify a previous point, whether 1st or 2nd round we haven't heard of Flinders offers to below 99.85. This confirms you must have been given the SATAC bonus to your 99.35 to get Flinders.

To the current point, I'm fairly sure if you want to have a go for a NSW school next year you need to defer Flinders then resit UCAT. Since Flinders is a double-degree med program if you start it you can't apply non-standard to UNSW & WSU, leaving you with only JMP

> Study the Bachelor of Clinical Sciences, Doctor of Medicine - Flinders University

ucatboy

final year eek
Valued Member
Congrats on the offer! Side note: I almost screamed because you forgot to mention your extra points. I got 99.9 and 92 UCAT and I'm 55th to 75th on the Flinders waiting list and probably not gonna get an offer.
No way??

My friend with 99.90 ATAR and 89 UCAT scored a Flinders offer after missing out in the first round. What's going on here?

Last edited:

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
I’d imagine anyone with a sub 99.95 ATAR that received a Flinders offer was awarded UES bonus points without being aware of it. Or at least, that seems the most plausible explanation.

ucatboy

final year eek
Valued Member
Please quiz your friend whether they got UES on top of 99.90?
He applied for UES months ago but the outcome of his application is unclear - how does one check if they snagged the bonus points? I assumed he wasn't successful because he would've scored a first-round Flinders offer with 99.95 and 2830 (89th)?

A1

Rookie Doc
Honestly might go down the path and do year 13, pass, get my 0.05 UES points, redo UCAT and snag my way into Flinders so I stay in Adelaide at this point ugh.

Remember to defer UQ before you do this^.

Last edited by a moderator:

ucatboy

final year eek
Valued Member
Didn't we talk about 99.95 / 90+ %ile not getting Flinders first round?
Did we? I only observed that 99.90 ATAR + 3240 UCAT (99.76th percentile) didn't score a first-round offer and was told that he was on the waiting list, basically meaning that for first round offers you basically HAVE to get a 99.95 ATAR. Not sure of the UCAT cutoff for 99.95 ATARs though, sorry.

Perhaps my friend DID qualify for UES then, because I don't think Flinders would mess up that bad by giving offers to people then telling those with higher scores that they're 55-75th on the waiting list.

Last edited:
Reactions: A1

ucatboy

final year eek
Valued Member
It really does confuse me how this all works out to be fair when a non-UES 99.9 pairs with a UES 99.95. How many potential points can be they awarded?
I believe 5? The UES system in place for South Australian unis is completely cooked, literally everyone I know who got in got in through bonus points.

ucatboy

final year eek
Valued Member
yeah which is why I think I gotta get cooked too lol but take an extra year sigh
Did you receive an offer for medicine at Melbourne uni by any chance? Have you considered that too?

A1

Rookie Doc
It really does confuse me how this all works out to be fair when a non-UES 99.9 pairs with a UES 99.95. How many potential points can be they awarded?

The UES bonus, either school-based or financial disadvantaged, is a uniform 5 uni/aggregate points. A 98/98ish + these 5 pts will beat a raw 99.90.

EtA: Have a look in this 2018 SATAC table > https://www.satac.edu.au/documents/aggregate_to_atar_conversion_table_2018.pdf

99.95 needs 89.40 (out of 90) aggregate, with 5 bonus pts they need 84.40 = 98.05.

ucatboy

final year eek
Valued Member
Course Type: Med
Offer Received: yes
University: Flinders
UCAT:
ATAR or GPA: 99.95
Special Considerations:
Offer Type:
Other Information:
First round offer
A1 😳😳 Wait this doesn't make sense at all - my friend would've gotten a first-round offer if he really got UES (99.95 + 89%ile). But on the other hand, if no UES gets a second-round offer (99.90 + 89%ile), how come User X is so low on the waiting list? Flinders messed up somewhere.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
A1 😳😳 Wait this doesn't make sense at all - my friend would've gotten a first-round offer if he really got UES (99.95 + 89%ile). But on the other hand, if no UES gets a second-round offer (99.90 + 89%ile), how come user X is so low on the waiting list? Flinders messed up somewhere.
Just a theory, but perhaps the first four sections of the UCAT score aren't given equal weighting; from memory Flinders used to weight UMAT sections 1 and 2 much greater than section 3. I wouldn't be surprised if they were doing the same with the UCAT scores.

Also, not to cast any doubt on your friend, but quite often in the past it has later turned out that the friend's data originally reported wasn't accurate. Could this be the case here?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Just a theory, but perhaps the first four sections of the UCAT score aren't given equal weighting; from memory Flinders used to weight UMAT sections 1 and 2 much greater than section 3. I wouldn't be surprised if they were doing the same with the UCAT scores.

Also, not to cast any doubt on your friend, but quite often in the past it has later turned out that the friend's data originally reported wasn't accurate. Could this be the case here?

Beat me to it. I was just re-reading what we knew of how they were using UCAT but it just says “a derived score from sections 1-4” which could allow for different weighting in line with how they used UMAT.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Beat me to it. I was just re-reading what we knew of how they were using UCAT but it just says “a derived score from sections 1-4” which could allow for different weighting in line with how they used UMAT.
Yes, their wording seems deliberately ambiguous ;)