Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Quick Questions 2020/2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
This thread is for quick, non-University specific, non-other thread topic that already exists here at MSO (!!) questions relating to 2020 applications for 2021 entry.

The Quick Questions thread for 2019 applications/2020 entry has now been closed.

Last edited:

ucatboy

final year eek
Valued Member
Not sure if this is the right place to post this but I still keep getting update emails from universities which I applied to, but either allowed their offers to expire or declined them entirely. UoM and UQ are still sending me COVID-19 updates and event invitations. Now I'm worried by the slight possibility that I may somehow be enrolled in their courses. I did not enter my TFN or sign any HECS-HELP forms so am I safe?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Not sure if this is the right place to post this but I still keep getting update emails from universities which I applied to, but either allowed their offers to expire or declined them entirely. UoM and UQ are still sending me COVID-19 updates and event invitations. Now I'm worried by the slight possibility that I may somehow be enrolled in their courses. I did not enter my TFN or sign any HECS-HELP forms so am I safe?

I got WSU emails for ages after I declined their offer, so I don't think it's a problem. They eventually just stopped :D

N182

Hi, I was just wondering if I have been to uni for only 2 months and dropped out (before census date), am I still considered non-standard or a high school leaver? Thanks

ponyswordz

UAdel BDS (2020-2024)
Valued Member
Hi, I was just wondering if I have been to uni for only 2 months and dropped out (before census date), am I still considered non-standard or a high school leaver? Thanks
High school leaver. If you drop out before the census date, your university course does not get tracked in your academic transcript.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator

Some* unis have different fee census dates and academic census dates. Just double check your uni’s dates to make sure :)

*while, for others, the dates are the same

N182

Some* unis have different fee census dates and academic census dates. Just double check your uni’s dates to make sure :)

*while, for others, the dates are the same
Sorry for the follow up question, but if I suspend my studies for a semester am I still considered a high school leaver? (I checked the census date its the same for both).

Perplex

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
Sorry for the follow up question, but if I suspend my studies for a semester am I still considered a high school leaver? (I checked the census date its the same for both).

I'm pretty sure if you withdraw prior to the census date then no, but if you unenroll after the census date then yes. I might be wrong, best to confirm with the medical schools you're looking at applying to.

nourz

Hi I dont know if this is the right thread but can someone please help me!! I just want to confirm something for applying for universities (med/dent/etc) as a postgraduate- do they need my official award certificate (testamur) or is an official academic record/transcript all that they need? I'm asking because I don't know if I should order my official grad documents now and not attend a grad ceremony in case any university needs it for applying or if I should wait and graduate in a later ceremony in September/October where I will get my official documents (I prefer to attend a ceremony). Thanks in advance!!!

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hi I dont know if this is the right thread but can someone please help me!! I just want to confirm something for applying for universities (med/dent/etc) as a postgraduate- do they need my official award certificate (testamur) or is an official academic record/transcript all that they need? I'm asking because I don't know if I should order my official grad documents now and not attend a grad ceremony in case any university needs it for applying or if I should wait and graduate in a later ceremony in September/October where I will get my official documents (I prefer to attend a ceremony). Thanks in advance!!!

Are you applying via GEMSAS for graduate entry or via the individual TACs for non-standard?

I’d imagine it’s the same for both, but I don’t actually know much about the GEMSAS route so it could be different there. For non-standard entry, you don’t supply anything. The TACs will access your academic results directly from your uni so they can be verified as accurate.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
For graduate entry you shouldn’t need to supply an official testamur (note: many graduate entry applicants apply before their degree is officially completed) but if you attend a non-ARTS University, then you need to supply your academic transcript to GEMSAS.

nourz

Are you applying via GEMSAS for graduate entry or via the individual TACs for non-standard?

I’d imagine it’s the same for both, but I don’t actually know much about the GEMSAS route so it could be different there. For non-standard entry, you don’t supply anything. The TACs will access your academic results directly from your uni so they can be verified as accurate.
What's TAC?? I'll be applying via GEMSAS and direct to universities as well, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't need an official testamur as they can contact/verify from my uni? But just wanted to make sure.

For graduate entry you shouldn’t need to supply an official testamur (note: many graduate entry applicants apply before their degree is officially completed) but if you attend a non-ARTS University, then you need to supply your academic transcript to GEMSAS.
I'll be applying via GEMSAS and direct to unis, although I am course finished my graduation ceremony is in may (online only due to covid), but surely they don't need official testamur right just academic record and then they can verify through my uni? I've never heard of uploading a testamur for an application. thanks for your help

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
I'll be applying via GEMSAS and direct to unis, although I am course finished my graduation ceremony is in may (online only due to covid), but surely they don't need official testamur right just academic record and then they can verify through my uni? I've never heard of uploading a testamur for an application. thanks for your help
No, you won’t need to provide a testamur.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
What's TAC?? I'll be applying via GEMSAS and direct to universities as well, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't need an official testamur as they can contact/verify from my uni? But just wanted to make sure.

TAC = tertiary admissions centre. If you’re planning to sit UCAT and apply to non-standard universities (UNSW, WSU, JMP, JCU, Bond, and Curtin), then you’ll definitely also be applying via various TACs.

nourz

TAC = tertiary admissions centre. If you’re planning to sit UCAT and apply to non-standard universities (UNSW, WSU, JMP, JCU, Bond, and Curtin), then you’ll definitely also be applying via various TACs.
Oh yes I will be applying through TACs, will they need testamur or just official record?

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Oh yes I will be applying through TACs, will they need testamur or just official record?
The TACs will contact your tertiary institution to obtain your results. You won't need to provide a testmaur.

NyK

Lurker
Hi, I've just made this account to ask about an issue I have just realised and am very concerned about. So I applied for med in Australia and ended up receiving an offer, I had also applied for Biomed first year at university of Auckland as a back up plan and I had enrolled aswell (I enrolled before I got my Aus offer). today I realised I had not unenrolled from UoA. The early withdrawal date for UoA has passed and it says "The course will remain on your academic record as a Withdrawal (W), which is counted as a 0 (zero) when your GPA is calculated." if I withdraw now. Will this affect my school leaver status at all????? I am scared out of my wits that I could end up losing my spot.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hi, I've just made this account to ask about an issue I have just realised and am very concerned about. So I applied for med in Australia and ended up receiving an offer, I had also applied for Biomed first year at university of Auckland as a back up plan and I had enrolled aswell (I enrolled before I got my Aus offer). today I realised I had not unenrolled from UoA. The early withdrawal date for UoA has passed and it says "The course will remain on your academic record as a Withdrawal (W), which is counted as a 0 (zero) when your GPA is calculated." if I withdraw now. Will this affect my school leaver status at all????? I am scared out of my wits that I could end up losing my spot.

Are you currently enrolled in and studying Med in Australia?

Status
Not open for further replies.