Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Post-UCAT Discussion 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

frays

As someone from the UK who's been reading through the thread, I'm in awe of these scores. On our student forums, a 700 average is considered to be an amazing score, so seeing these 750+ averages being the norm is insane to me! Well done to all of you. I have my exam in a months time, hope I can channel this positive energy into my test 😋
best of luck!!! <3

omg I'm there too! Is there are a number pad on the key board? Also, how's the computers (pretty big or small lol). Also, GOOD JOB! THAT IS AN AMAZING SCORE!!!
Thanks!
There are number pads and the keyboards work well in my opinion. The computers are also a decent size and there was plenty of space on the desks. Overall it’s a pretty good location. Good luck for your test!

flower16157

Hey everyone, long time lurker but first time poster here! I just want to say thank you to everyone on this MSO forum because without the advice and helpful contributions of everyone in this forum I would not have achieved the score that I did. I told myself that I would only let myself post my results on here if I got over my goal score (3200) so I am very happy.

Date Completed: 11.07.2020
Testing Centre: Pearson Testing Centre, Brisbane

Verbal Reasoning820
Decision Making830
Quantitative Reasoning830
Abstract Reasoning770
Overall3250
Situational Judgement707

Venue:
My exam was at 12 but I arrived an hour early. There was a couple of other people in the waiting room (around 6) but only 2 other people in the room with me. The staff were very professional and made the registration process go very smoothly for all of us. Top tip to anyone who hasn't taken the test yet: DONT drink an entire bottle of water before you go in, once your test begins you can't stop the timer meaning you will lose time if you have to go to the bathroom. Overall I found the experience very comfortable. The centre provided noise cancelling headphones and ear plugs upon request but it was so quiet in there that I didn't even need them. The onscreen calculator was much easier to use than the ones in the mocks, I found it to be more similar to the one in the prep company that I used. You can use the backspace button.

Exam Review:
Overall, I found the exam to be of similar difficulty to the mock tests I had done, but slightly easier than the official UCAT mock. In particularly the QR section was SIGNIFICANTLY easier, it was comparable to the QR section of official mock D I think.

VR: Going into this I knew that VR was one of my strengths, however reading previous posts made me realise that even people who are usually good at VR sometimes achieve lower on the day. I cannot stress how important it is to RELAX and BREATHE before you begin this section. I was able to complete all 44 questions with approximately 3.5 minutes to spare which I used to go back to the questions I had flagged and ensure the answer was correct. I think this section was of similar difficulty to the official mocks and I was able to use the same strategies I had practised to find the answers. Make sure you practise on larger screens than a laptop because the passages do appear to be longer because of the font size.

DM: i did find this section to be of similar difficulty as the mocks but DM has always been one of my better sections so I managed to do relatively well. One thing that really helped me was remembering to not make inferences for all of the syllogisms and if I got stuck to move on immediately. I finished with about 3 minutes left so I went back to flagged questions. The syllogisms had longer stems than I was used to.

QR: I was TERRIFIED for this section. I am not a maths person, never have been, and my mock scores for QR fluctuated between 600 and 900 so I was really quite nervous for this section - especially given the QR in the official mocks was SO DIFFICULT (my highest score was 20/36). So absolutely stoked with this score. The questions were relatively straightforward (only had to guess one set) and I even finished with time to spare.

AR: I have never been very good at AR so I knew this section was going to be hit or miss for me. I went through all 55 questions quite quickly and thought I had all of the patterns for the set a/b/neither questions down pat, but I must have misinterpreted some along the way. Either way I am still really happy with 770 and that is a huge improvement for me. My best advice is to PRACTISE PRACTISE PRACTISE and write down all the patterns that you get wrong/find difficult while practising. Before I began the section (during the 1 minute) I quickly wrote down SCANS and some common patterns (e.g. prime numbers, parallel lines, odd/even) before I started so I knew what to look for if I got stuck. This definitely helped me.

SJT: omg okay so I'm not entirely sure if 707 is a good score but let me just say I have struggled with situational judgement for soooo long. I always rush through this section because I get so tired after AR that I just want to finish the exam and leave. So before I started answering the questions I actually took a 3 minute break to just breathe and give my brain a break (its not like the time made a difference I always have so much time left in this section). I think this helped me to think clearly through this section. My best tip is to put yourself in their perspective, and make sure you know roles and responsibilities of med students (good documents include GMC good practise i think its called and the AMSA code of ethics), if you know the basics the rest is just intuition and you should be sweet :)

Overall, I am stoked with this score and I am so glad that my work has been worth it. I really hope it will be enough to snag an interview. I think my score was 90% hard work and 10% good luck (lucky sloth socks, lucky AF1s, lucky jumper, lucky necklace, lucky song 'without me' by eminem - yes I am ridiculously superstitious when it comes to exams). I will be posting in the Mock results vs actual for anyone interested. To anyone reading this forum frantically before taking their test like I was - GOOD LUCK. Your performance will reflect your hard work and your mindset on the day so make sure you RELAX, take heaps of bubble baths if need be, and BREATHE before you start VR.

Angela2020

Hey everyone, long time lurker but first time poster here! I just want to say thank you to everyone on this MSO forum because without the advice and helpful contributions of everyone in this forum I would not have achieved the score that I did. I told myself that I would only let myself post my results on here if I got over my goal score (3200) so I am very happy.

Verbal Reasoning820
Decision Making830
Abstract Reasoning770
Overall3250
Situational Judgement707

Venue:
My exam was at 12 but I arrived an hour early. There was a couple of other people in the waiting room (around 6) but only 2 other people in the room with me. The staff were very professional and made the registration process go very smoothly for all of us. Top tip to anyone who hasn't taken the test yet: DONT drink an entire bottle of water before you go in, once your test begins you can't stop the timer meaning you will lose time if you have to go to the bathroom. Overall I found the experience very comfortable. The centre provided noise cancelling headphones and ear plugs upon request but it was so quiet in there that I didn't even need them. The onscreen calculator was much easier to use than the ones in the mocks, I found it to be more similar to the one in the prep company that I used. You can use the backspace button.

Exam Review:
Overall, I found the exam to be of similar difficulty to the mock tests I had done, but slightly easier than the official UCAT mock. In particularly the QR section was SIGNIFICANTLY easier, it was comparable to the QR section of official mock D I think.

VR: Going into this I knew that VR was one of my strengths, however reading previous posts made me realise that even people who are usually good at VR sometimes achieve lower on the day. I cannot stress how important it is to RELAX and BREATHE before you begin this section. I was able to complete all 44 questions with approximately 3.5 minutes to spare which I used to go back to the questions I had flagged and ensure the answer was correct. I think this section was of similar difficulty to the official mocks and I was able to use the same strategies I had practised to find the answers. Make sure you practise on larger screens than a laptop because the passages do appear to be longer because of the font size.

DM: i did find this section to be of similar difficulty as the mocks but DM has always been one of my better sections so I managed to do relatively well. One thing that really helped me was remembering to not make inferences for all of the syllogisms and if I got stuck to move on immediately. I finished with about 3 minutes left so I went back to flagged questions. The syllogisms had longer stems than I was used to.

QR: I was TERRIFIED for this section. I am not a maths person, never have been, and my mock scores for QR fluctuated between 600 and 900 so I was really quite nervous for this section - especially given the QR in the official mocks was SO DIFFICULT (my highest score was 20/36). So absolutely stoked with this score. The questions were relatively straightforward (only had to guess one set) and I even finished with time to spare.

AR: I have never been very good at AR so I knew this section was going to be hit or miss for me. I went through all 55 questions quite quickly and thought I had all of the patterns for the set a/b/neither questions down pat, but I must have misinterpreted some along the way. Either way I am still really happy with 770 and that is a huge improvement for me. My best advice is to PRACTISE PRACTISE PRACTISE and write down all the patterns that you get wrong/find difficult while practising. Before I began the section (during the 1 minute) I quickly wrote down SCANS and some common patterns (e.g. prime numbers, parallel lines, odd/even) before I started so I knew what to look for if I got stuck. This definitely helped me.

SJT: omg okay so I'm not entirely sure if 707 is a good score but let me just say I have struggled with situational judgement for soooo long. I always rush through this section because I get so tired after AR that I just want to finish the exam and leave. So before I started answering the questions I actually took a 3 minute break to just breathe and give my brain a break (its not like the time made a difference I always have so much time left in this section). I think this helped me to think clearly through this section. My best tip is to put yourself in their perspective, and make sure you know roles and responsibilities of med students (good documents include GMC good practise i think its called and the AMSA code of ethics), if you know the basics the rest is just intuition and you should be sweet :)

Overall, I am stoked with this score and I am so glad that my work has been worth it. I really hope it will be enough to snag an interview. I think my score was 90% hard work and 10% good luck (lucky sloth socks, lucky AF1s, lucky jumper, lucky necklace, lucky song 'without me' by eminem - yes I am ridiculously superstitious when it comes to exams). I will be posting in the Mock results vs actual for anyone interested. To anyone reading this forum frantically before taking their test like I was - GOOD LUCK. Your performance will reflect your hard work and your mindset on the day so make sure you RELAX, take heaps of bubble baths if need be, and BREATHE before you start VR.
OMG GOOD JOB!!! That is like an amazing score!!! Although you're like a genius at VR, did you find it pretty difficult - as in the question types or/and like the length of the passages? I am like terrible at VR and I've sceen my scores fluctuating between like 28-34 (cannot legit improve lmao) - would you think this is a relatively good score?
But like congrats! That is so good!!!!

flower16157

Hey everyone, so I did my UCAT today and I thought I might as well post in here considering I have been stalking this forum for the past month or so trying to convince myself I would be okay in the real test and that it would reflect my mocks. Turns out - it did yayaya!

Just a quick note - I used mini mocks to simulate exams (ie. i would move from VR mini mock to DM mini mock with no time in between in order to get more practise

N182

Verbal Reasoning820
Decision Making830
Abstract Reasoning770
Overall3250
Situational Judgement707

Venue:

Exam Review:

Could you tell us your VR strategy? Thanks

Hi everyone, second time around on the UCAT and managed to improve :) . Did the test in the Sydney office 11 July 20, and much the same as last year, everything was good though my pen died part way through but they gave me another.
Section2019 UCAT2020 UCAT
Verbal Reasoning690680
Decision Making680710
Quantitative Reasoning760740
Abstract reasoning770890 (wtf!)
Situational Judgement688634
Total2900 (93%)3020

Obviously I'm really happy with my results.
VR - Last year I ran out of time this year I paced better (though did a bit worse). Mostly what I'd expected
DM - I put a fair bit of practice into this section but still found it challenging. Worked steadily though and time was spot on
QR - I always fear this section - I'm good at math but not super fast. My practice tests were all over the place on this. I ran out of time this year and just guessed the last 7 questions!
AR - This I found easy and quick to practice plus a lot of fun. I should probably have put more effort into other areas as it was my best in 2019 but I'll take the marks.
SJ - Had plenty of time on this and not being a school leaver I think some experience helps. Having said that my score isn't stellar.

CONTENT REMOVED BY MODERATOR - DO NOT MENTION PREP COMPANIES
Good luck everyone

flower16157

OMG GOOD JOB!!! That is like an amazing score!!! Although you're like a genius at VR, did you find it pretty difficult - as in the question types or/and like the length of the passages? I am like terrible at VR and I've sceen my scores fluctuating between like 28-34 (cannot legit improve lmao) - would you think this is a relatively good score?
But like congrats! That is so good!!!!

Hey thanks so much! Trust me it is not impossible to get a good VR score. I'm definitely more of an english person (massive bookworm hehe) but even for me I struggled when I started the VR questions. You'll find the question types are recurring and there is only a couple different types - so the best thing to do is to be able to quickly recognise the different question types and find the info its referring to. the stem lengths were similar to the mocks so thats your best bet for preparation. Make sure to practise on LARGE screens because the passage will appear longer than it actually is due to the larger font size it gets stretched. 28-34/44 is perfectly okay! remember UCAT is all about working to your strengths and mitigating the effect of your weaknesses. dont be afraid to flag and skip long passages. practise makes perfect :) you got this!!

flower16157

Could you tell us your VR strategy? Thanks

Hey! just want to make it clear that VR has always been my best section because I am an avid reader so I did have a slight advantage in that sense. However it is definitely not impossible to score well in this section. I cannot stress this enough that you need to RELAX in this section because your brain will be going a million miles an hour and if your stressing about other things you will not be able to think clearly and comprehend quickly.

My best advice is to recognise the types of questions because there are different types which pop up very regularly and you should approach them in different ways. DONT bother reading the whole passage especially if youre not really a speedy reader, even i didnt do this in the exam. i read the question, looked for the info (e.g. dates, names) or found the paragraph they were referring to (this is called the chunking technique) and then worked from there. whilst skimming works for some people, i found that i was just reading words and not COMPREHENDING, thus I was just wasting precious time that could be spent on other questions. Only skim if the question asks what the AIM or overall MESSAGE of the passage is (or other questions to that effect).

I find that eliminating stupid options is a good idea as you will be left with 1-2 viable options which you can easily find in the passage.

Time is so precious in this section, people often get carried away with ensuring their first 10 answers are absolutely 100% perfect before realising they are running out of time!! I am guilty of this so what I did before I began was write down my time checkpoint for VR - i wanted to be on Q22 by the time the timer got to 12:00. by doing this, I was able to check that I was running on time and whether I needed to speed or could take my time.

Finally DO NOT BE AFRAID to leave questions blank!!! I absolutely hate reading history/war related passages so I would always skip these questions completely and come back to them at the end when my mind wasn't so clogged up. I literally left them incomplete. It is so so important to flag and move on if your stuck/unsure - you are much better off finished all 44 questions with 2 minutes to spare than 24/44 100% correct and the rest rushed through.

Instead of treating it like a chore having to read these big long passages I suggest that you treat it like a game!! make it into something enjoyable!

For me this involved going on to random wikipedia pages (literally go on wiki, press alt + shift + x) and reading absolutely THE most random passages I have ever read as quickly as I possibly could, and then trying to comprehend and recall key information. I promise you if you do this every night for 10-20 minutes before your exam your speed reading and hopefully VR scores will increase and you will be less stressed in the exam :)

Good luck! youll smash it

N182

Hey! just want to make it clear that VR has always been my best section because I am an avid reader so I did have a slight advantage in that sense. However it is definitely not impossible to score well in this section. I cannot stress this enough that you need to RELAX in this section because your brain will be going a million miles an hour and if your stressing about other things you will not be able to think clearly and comprehend quickly.

My best advice is to recognise the types of questions because there are different types which pop up very regularly and you should approach them in different ways. DONT bother reading the whole passage especially if youre not really a speedy reader, even i didnt do this in the exam. i read the question, looked for the info (e.g. dates, names) or found the paragraph they were referring to (this is called the chunking technique) and then worked from there. whilst skimming works for some people, i found that i was just reading words and not COMPREHENDING, thus I was just wasting precious time that could be spent on other questions. Only skim if the question asks what the AIM or overall MESSAGE of the passage is (or other questions to that effect).

I find that eliminating stupid options is a good idea as you will be left with 1-2 viable options which you can easily find in the passage.

Time is so precious in this section, people often get carried away with ensuring their first 10 answers are absolutely 100% perfect before realising they are running out of time!! I am guilty of this so what I did before I began was write down my time checkpoint for VR - i wanted to be on Q22 by the time the timer got to 12:00. by doing this, I was able to check that I was running on time and whether I needed to speed or could take my time.

Finally DO NOT BE AFRAID to leave questions blank!!! I absolutely hate reading history/war related passages so I would always skip these questions completely and come back to them at the end when my mind wasn't so clogged up. I literally left them incomplete. It is so so important to flag and move on if your stuck/unsure - you are much better off finished all 44 questions with 2 minutes to spare than 24/44 100% correct and the rest rushed through.

Instead of treating it like a chore having to read these big long passages I suggest that you treat it like a game!! make it into something enjoyable!

For me this involved going on to random wikipedia pages (literally go on wiki, press alt + shift + x) and reading absolutely THE most random passages I have ever read as quickly as I possibly could, and then trying to comprehend and recall key information. I promise you if you do this every night for 10-20 minutes before your exam your speed reading and hopefully VR scores will increase and you will be less stressed in the exam :)

Good luck! youll smash it
Awesome! Thanks so much really helpful. Good luck with your almost guaranteed med interviews :)

Luminosity

Medical Student ⚕️
I had a general timing strategy in my head - 20+ questions done with 12 mins to go etc... and if I wasn't keeping to the timing I would force myself to hurry up and guess (logically deducing it from the questions options given) 1-3 q's to catch up with my timing - also I used the true/false/can't tell questions to speed up on my thing because those are generally quicker :). I was around 2 mins behind my ideal timing strategy in the actual test but somehow managed to catch up on the true/false/can't tell q's. Also I resisted the urge to go back and 'check' my previous answers - just kept powering forward with the questions. Don't hit that Alt-P button!
Thats a crazy score!
What was your VR approach ( I.e keyword approach etc.)

calbee

Lurker
Hi everyone! I actually completed the test a few days ago but immediately went into hibernation mode afterwards. Anyways, here are my results!
Date completed: 08/07/2020
Venue: Cliftons Brisbane

Verbal Reasoning630720
Decision Making660780
Quantitative Reasoning760880
Abstract Reasoning710900
Total27603280

Situational Judgement684602 (lmao)

General thoughts on your results:

This is my second time sitting the exam and I'm absolutely stoked to get the score I got this year. DEFINITELY was not expecting to score this high. I think the major reason for the difference in my results is the amount of practice I completed. In total for 2019, I think I did like 5 days of practice and my first mock was completed 3 days before the test. For 2020, I practiced (almost) every day in the month leading up to the exam, with more practice done sporadically in the months prior.

General comments on the exam/exam experience:

Unfortunately, I was pretty sleep deprived on the day because of my pre-exam jitters. I purposefully didn't drink any water in the hour leading up to the exam; I severely regret this decision as this made me dehydrated and stuffy during the exam (and kinda made me lose concentration).

VR: Pretty similar to the official mocks. I usually did better in my prep company's mocks but I ain't complaining at all. I started off pretty strong for this section, but towards the end I let my nerves get to the better of me.
tip: VR is probably the section where you're not likely to complete all the questions. Don't let that get into your head by focussing on how little time you have (like me), and instead focus on using the technique you've perfected throughout your practice. My general technique for this section was to read the question first, identify keyword(s) in question and then scan for them in the text. This helped me a lot with managing my time.
DM: VERY surprised at the score I got, since I was convinced I screwed up this section right after. The questions were of similar difficulty to the official mocks, however, I had to skip one or two Venn diagram questions in favour of completing all the syllogism (Y/N) questions. All of my inference-based syllogism questions were heavily worded, which kinda threw me off and dented my confidence :(
tip: make some time to practice the syllogism questions, especially since they form 1/3 of this section. Since the stimulus for syllogisms are usually jam-packed with information, I found it helpful to briefly scan the stimulus first, then refer back to the stimulus at every answer option instead of relying on my memory of the stimulus (I made fewer silly errors as a result).
QR: as mentioned by almost everyone, this section was significantly easier than the official mocks. None of the questions had a particularly lengthy premise, and no question required too many calculations (max 3-4) to get the answer.
tip: as mentioned by many before, get comfortable with using the UCAT calculator and number pad on the keyboard. The UCAT calculator has a few quirks and you DO NOT need to be thrown off by these quirks on test day. I found it helpful to practice my number pad skillz on some random website.
AR: AR has always been my weakest section, and in my mocks I NEVER got above 45/55 in this section. Naturally, I am extremely surprised (but also kinda stoked) at my result. Usually, the Set A/B questions in the questions/mocks I did would involve more than one pattern e.g. Set A: black circle in upper-right corner AND an even number of shapes, Set B: white triangle in lower-left corner AND an odd number of shapes. However, in the actual exam, most of the questions only involved one single pattern which definitely made my life easier.
tip: p r a c t i c e. Not including my mocks, I did over 600 questions for AR which exposed me to patterns that I didn't even know could exist. I also kept an AR mistakes book which helped me identify patterns that I was struggling with the most.
SJ: I didn't really bother with this section since I was pretty dehydrated and burnt out. I also barely practiced this section since I did quite a lot of practice for this section last year.
no tips from me XD

Final comments:
Throughout the prep period and even during the exam, I sometimes let my nerves and doubts take advantage of me. However, I'd like to stress the importance to believe in yourself and to be kind to yourself. It is easy to become insecure, and maybe even frustrated at yourself when you aren't achieving the scores you set out to get. At times like this, I found it helpful to pause what I'm doing for a moment, take a deep breath, and recalibrate myself to think positively. As I was completing the QR section in the test, I had to basically compliment and praise myself for every question I got 'correct' so that I could feel a little more at ease.

Shoutouts:
All the mods for their hard work in maintaining this (amazing) forum
Smelly Boy for his amazing UCAT guide which helped me a lot
Everybody who contributed to this forum and left kind words/tips/techniques/thoughts etc.
you- the reader- for reading till the end ❤

Try20

Lurker
Hi everyone, second time around on the UCAT and managed to improve :) . Did the test in the Sydney office 11 July 20, and much the same as last year, everything was good though my pen died part way through but they gave me another.
Section2019 UCAT2020 UCAT
Verbal Reasoning690680
Decision Making680710
Quantitative Reasoning760740
Abstract reasoning770890 (wtf!)
Situational Judgement688634
Total2900 (93%)3020

Obviously I'm really happy with my results.
VR - Last year I ran out of time this year I paced better (though did a bit worse). Mostly what I'd expected
DM - I put a fair bit of practice into this section but still found it challenging. Worked steadily though and time was spot on
QR - I always fear this section - I'm good at math but not super fast. My practice tests were all over the place on this. I ran out of time this year and just guessed the last 7 questions!
AR - This I found easy and quick to practice plus a lot of fun. I should probably have put more effort into other areas as it was my best in 2019 but I'll take the marks.
SJ - Had plenty of time on this and not being a school leaver I think some experience helps. Having said that my score isn't stellar.

CONTENT REMOVED BY MODERATOR - DO NOT MENTION PREP COMPANIES
Good luck everyone
Hi there,
I have pretty much same scores like your last year scores. What does that mean? (content removed). Sitting the ucat second time- does that mean you are in first year uni? Can you please explain, I know nothing 😌

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: nb
Hello from Auckland

I took my test this morning at 11. Was pretty chill, I left and got there early just in case I got the wrong address (has happened to both me and my friends before), and I ended up being the earliest one there. Nuff about that, here are my scores, apologies for the formatting since I usually don't post on forums.

VR 610
DM 800
QR 700
AR 680
Total 2790

SJ 494

VR was disappointing, since I was usually getting about low to mid 30s (out of 44) in the practice tests, I thought I would have done better than that. That being said, the texts felt much longer than what I'd done at home (maybe because of the zoomed in screen?), but then again I'm not surprised I did badly since I was nowhere as confident answering these questions in the actual test.

DM - another surprise, this is probably one of my weaker sections but somehow got that score

QR - about what I expected, I foolishly didn't guess some questions before flagging them and ended up not answering them when I went back to recalculate.

AR - by far the most guessing out of all the other sections. Learning from the previous section, if I couldn't read the pattern I just guessed B before I moved on. Struggled with the early patterns, so the Alt and N button were heating up before I got to some that looked a bit easier to deduce. Went back and managed to identify two patterns before time ran out, so that's probably what bumped it up to an about average score compared to the others.

SJ - I had no fkin idea what I was doing lmao. Little worried since I'm going for dent in Otago and if this doesn't pass the threshold, I'll be super gutted.

General tips - hotkeys are your friend, guess before you flag, ask for water cos your mouth might get dry under stress (it did for me at least), don't underestimate how much writing info down can be, I got a solid few questions answered in DM that I otherwise wouldn't have known if I hadn't.

Section20202019
Verbal Reasonsing720630
Decision Making830730
Quantitative Reasoning880830
Abstract Reasoning730690
Total31602880
Situational Judgement659617

Hey,

Happy to answer any questions!
Wow that's a big improvement!
Any advise on how you tackled VR differently compared to last year?

Status
Not open for further replies.