Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Pre-UCAT Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

whys

Hi,

For those who have done the UCAT before, are you required to answer the question before moving on or can you leave it incomplete (unanswered and not flagged)? and does the actual UCAT exam have the review screen showing you the incompleted questions?

Thank you:)
Yes, and it’s definitely recommended you learn to skip/flag questions so you don’t waste time and instead go over those questions at the end using the review screen.

jinjja21

Hi guys,
I heard from a friend that Adl uni might be considering SJT for the UCAT score this year, would this be true?

ucatboy

final year eek
Valued Member
Hi guys,
I heard from a friend that Adl uni might be considering SJT for the UCAT score this year, would this be true?
Only the uni knows for certain, everything else is just speculation. But if my memory serves correctly, UAdel was one of the unis unenthused about SJT, with admissions staff directly replying to a student two years ago that that's what the interview is for (40% weighting for medicine and potentially even higher for dentistry). It could be that the uni has since changed its mind but I don't anticipate the inclusion of SJT scores making any meaningful difference to the admissions process - 90% of students score between 550 and 700 anyway. This might be something to consider though for those who originally planned to skip the section entirely/half-ass it.

jinjja21

Just out of concern, one of my school teachers told me that sitting UCAT at a later date (eg late july/aug) might disadvantage us as they might be allocating us harder question than those who sit the test earlier - this isn't true right? Like has UCAT officially announced this? Ever since I heard this I've been really anxious and upset as to why he had to tell me that :(

ucatboy

final year eek
Valued Member
Just out of concern, one of my school teachers told me that sitting UCAT at a later date (eg late july/aug) might disadvantage us as they might be allocating us harder question than those who sit the test earlier - this isn't true right? Like has UCAT officially announced this? Ever since I heard this I've been really anxious and upset as to why he had to tell me that :(
Your teacher's a moron

Last edited:

TKAO

oowah!
Valued Member
Having said that, I think its important to be aware that if you sit it very late and for whatever reason you are sick on the day and want to reschedule it, your chances of rescheduling are pretty slim. Something to be aware of just in case you do set it to the second last day of the UCAT cycle.

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
ucatboy is right. ive heard this rumour before, primarily spawning from sydney wechat groups. did your teacher also say that the testing center in parramatta leaked their test centre specific questions? because thats part of the same rumour

if you understand how the ucat is made you can realise how stupid this is. the ucat has five forms for every subtest which a user is allocated randomly. below is the ukcat technical report (we dont have the aus ones) which show how similar the results between all of the test are

1620554963791.png

Katakuri22

Attachments

• 1621047528023.png
    1621047528023.png
    36.4 KB · Views: 29

ucatboy

final year eek
Valued Member

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
In that case there would be less candidates than I can count on my hands who will have their SJT score considered! Still worth it to give it a proper shot in the exam but I wouldnt worry too much about it*

*medical schools are notorious for changing things like this all the time so dont blame me when one inevitably uses SJT

A1

Rookie Doc
In that case there would be less candidates than I can count on my hands who will have their SJT score considered!
My estimate says you will need to grow 20 fingers 🤣

(This year only 600 interviewees so I anticipate non-rural interstate cutoff could rise to 97%ile. Deducting rurals & 50% locals leaves ~240 spots, divide equally into 99-98-97 %iles then divide into 4 score groups within 97%ile = 20).

Reactions: 2xq

moufou

When is the percentile determined and how is it calculated?
Can I know my score as soon as I finish the test, and will the percentage of students who took the test in the same year determine the percentage?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
When is the percentile determined and how is it calculated?
Can I know my score as soon as I finish the test, and will the percentage of students who took the test in the same year determine the percentage?

You’ll know your personal scores relatively soon after you complete the test. Usually within a couple of hours, though there are always a few outliers who get theirs faster or slower.

Percentiles obviously can’t be released until all candidates have completed the test. They’re usually released in the months following. You can use the previous year as a guide, but there can be a bit of movement so it may not (probably won’t, in fact) be completely accurate.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2xq

glizzyseal

Hey guys, I went through the 'predicting UCAT scores from mock exam results' thread and I noticed there's quite a lot of people who got way lower than their mock scores predict (like 3100 in mock ---> 2700 in real UCAT). Obviously, the vast majority did better in real UCAT compared to their mock scores, but I still can't help but feel very 'unsafe' and stressed. Idk if I'm just being insecure or anything but do u guys have any advice on how to deal with this kind of added stress and uncertainty

lolmed

I think that reading those pages within the forum are of great use to see how other people fare and what to roughly expect yourself, but it's super important not to get worked up on these figures. The real UCAT is now not too far distant and hence in this time, it is essential to focus on your own practice and work on ways to improve your own score. The worst thing now would be to doubt yourself and the efforts which you have put in all this time - just believe in yourself and your efforts. I understand that these numbers can affect you mentally, but if you try your best, you are far more likely to achieve what you are hoping for than if you get caught up with these statistics!!
Hope that's of some reassurance and help!

TKAO

oowah!
Valued Member
Hey guys, I went through the 'predicting UCAT scores from mock exam results' thread and I noticed there's quite a lot of people who got way lower than their mock scores predict (like 3100 in mock ---> 2700 in real UCAT). Obviously, the vast majority did better in real UCAT compared to their mock scores, but I still can't help but feel very 'unsafe' and stressed. Idk if I'm just being insecure or anything but do u guys have any advice on how to deal with this kind of added stress and uncertainty
Wouldn't say the majority of people did better in the UCAT. It's hard to tell and virtually impossible to truly know without doing the UCAT first. Just do your best and it'll sort itself out.

fm8

Hey,
So I wanted to know if anyone has a rough idea of what the VR structure would be regarding question type.
I know there is roughly 16 TFC and the rest are comprehension

With comprehension, does anyone know the ratio of "what can be inferred" vs "all statements are true/false except" and "specific keyword" questions would be?

I did a practice exam from a private company and it was 7:9:12 and i just don't feel that would be the correct representation

Status
Not open for further replies.