Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

2011 Griffith Dentistry Requirements

Hutcherson

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
So I contacted the School of Dentistry and left a message the other day.
They called me back this morning.
Unfortunately i was not at home when they called back, so another family member read out my questions on paper to her, & wrote down her answers.

1. What is the academic requirement?
School leavers: Only OP 1-3 (ATAR 99-97) will be considered for a place.
Non-standards: GPA min of 5.75. Anything lower will not be considered.

2.How many non-standards will you be accepting?
Not sure at this stage. But the same amount as usual.

3. Is a GPA of 6 (Go8 uni) worth anything more at griffith?
No. It is worth the same, regardless of the university you attend.

Other extra info:
They also mentioned the higher the mark the better the chance.
Unfortunately, no one will really have an idea if they have a chance until offers come in the 'main offer round' in January.

Hope this helps. Study hard everyone!

Last edited:

HYM

I find it strange that they said they wont be taking many non-standards 'as usual' because GU dent has heaps of non-standards.

If 20 non-standards with a GPA of 7 apply, what are they going to do? They have to take them, wouldnt they?

boxhunter

Good work hutch. Guess we are going to put our socks up :D. And HYM yeh i guess so but realistically they got to take the course you do into consideration. Right?

HYM

I dont think they can or will discriminate between uni courses. There is equal opportunity between everyone whether you're studying music or biomed or oral health. It is not black and white but overall, it is more fair than it is unfair (if that makes sense).

Hutcherson

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
I wish i was home when she called back. Cause i would have asked her, how many non-standards do they normally accept. Sorry by the 'not many as usual'. I meant they are accepting the same amount as they usually do. Ill edit it.

KIWIpride

I dont think they can or will discriminate between uni courses. There is equal opportunity between everyone whether you're studying music or biomed or oral health. It is not black and white but overall, it is more fair than it is unfair (if that makes sense).

Yes, if there are less than 20 applicants with GPA of 7 then probably not. But, if it does come down to 20 or more people with gpa 7 then, don't u think it must come down to subject discrimination? I mean come on, if u were the admission dean for GU dent, who would you rather pick, a gpa 7 oral health student or gpa 7 music student?

patkirtan

Optimus Prime
I honestly wonder what the lowest GPA will be for entrance.

Should definitely be 7, considering there's going to be less than a dozen seats for Non-standards.

HYM

Should definitely be 7, considering there's going to be less than a dozen seats for Non-standards.

Thats incorrect.

Firstly, a person with a GPA >6.5 has the same ranking as a person with GPA 7 - according to both GU and QTAC. Secondly, it is not stated anywhere that GU take less than a dozen non-standards. There are definetly more than 15 non-standards in each cohort atm. Furthermore, when I spoke to GU, they said they have no limit to the number of non-standards they will take.

dent_guy

Hey guys,
As a non standard applicant that has completed both a honours and masters degree, does anyone know how my ranking will be worked out? I had a gpa of around 5.8 for my undergrad, 6 GPA for hons and 6.5 for masters years.
I have phoned QTAC but they are not allowed to tell applicants their ranking, and only said that i would have a strong apllication. However, i am not sure if they are aware of how highly competetive the coures is.
Anyways thanks for any feedback people can offer :)

nick2dent

Hey guys,
As a non standard applicant that has completed both a honours and masters degree, does anyone know how my ranking will be worked out? I had a gpa of around 5.8 for my undergrad, 6 GPA for hons and 6.5 for masters years.
I have phoned QTAC but they are not allowed to tell applicants their ranking, and only said that i would have a strong apllication. However, i am not sure if they are aware of how highly competetive the coures is.
Anyways thanks for any feedback people can offer :)

Hi Dent-Guy, I had a similar sort of problem, I have done masters degree overseas, PG Dip from Macquarie and currently Bachelors @ USyd. This is what admissions officer from UQ told me:

"What I foresee happening in your case, therefore, is that QTAC
will derive 3 separate ranks for you - from your overall
cumulative GPA (based on the GPA achieved in each of your
degree qualifications); a second rank of either 97 or 99
derived from your Masters degree; and a third rank derived
solely from your year at the University of Sydney because of its
Group 1 status. The highest of these three ranks will be used.

In order to gain admission to the Bachelor of Dental Science at
UQ, applicants must achieve a rank of 99. To achieve a 99, you
would need a GPA (at USyd) of at least 5.80 overall. Dental
Science applicants are then ordered according to their results
in the UMAT; placed are offered from the top down. It is not
therefore possible to quote you the UMAT score required for
entry to Dental Science in 2011, as this score is not set in
advance; in 2010, applicants required a minimum overall score
of 172."

However you can have a look at: http://www.uq.edu.au/study/docs/domestic/entry-options.pdf
The PDF has detailed explanation or else like me you can email UQ at [email protected]

Hope that helps.

dent_guy

hey Nick

Yes that is very similiar to what they told me when i rang them earlier. I am going for Griffith admission, so therefore i will not need a UMAT score. I guess i will just have to wait until early Jan to find out if i got in, which is slightly annoying as i will need to make accomodation plans. Best of luck to you in getting into UQ