Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

2011 Griffith Dentistry!

Hi I am a first year uni student with GPA 6.125 studying Biomedical Science. I have contacted Griffith in regards to my application to Dentistry for 2011 on three occasions and they have confirmed that the places are CSP. I asked them about increased competitiveness for entry into the course but they said that given my GPA I should have no trouble.

Perhaps applicant numbers aren't as high as expected because the CSP factor wasn't officially announced and people only found out close to the due date for applications.

I am worried because this is my dream degree in my dream location and I won't be satisfied with another degree.

Is anyone currently studying dentistry at griffith? If so, what OP/GPA did u get? Are you CSP? How many people are there in your cohort? what is the rough ratio, School leaver: non standard: Post grad : international???

thanks..

boxhunter

Wow really they said your fine with 6.125? I am on 6.25 doing B Oral Health. This will be interesting.

Hutcherson

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
And i thought a 6.5 is needed. Because i am worried about my gpa 6 at griffith. i tried calling them last week but no answer :(. the first 3 years are CSP. but i dont think the last two years as CSP have been officially finalized yet. maybe not for a while i heard.

KIWIpride

I called GU and they confirmed that the last 2 years (the graduate diploma of dentistry) remain full fee paying positions, not CSP unfortunately.

How does GU know that 6.125 should be enough? No way to tell actually. I am assuming 6.5+..

KIWIpride

anyone noticed the 3 offer release dates for GUdent?
2nd December, 16th december, and 13th Jan (main release offer date).
What does everyone make of that? How can they make offers when my final exams finish on 24th november and don't think i will get my results back until much later (and i m assuming everyone finishes on a similar date)??

boxhunter

anyone noticed the 3 offer release dates for GUdent?
2nd December, 16th december, and 13th Jan (main release offer date).
What does everyone make of that? How can they make offers when my final exams finish on 24th november and don't think i will get my results back until much later (and i m assuming everyone finishes on a similar date)??

Hmm that is interesting. I dont finish till 15th of November. Maybe for international students?

Hutcherson

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
It might not be a mistake. Its common for unis to have early offer rounds in december for " non-standard applicants" as i recall. but i must admit for griffith dent i am surprised. once again, calling qtac to double check is the best option.

sublimeC

^
That's probable. Could just wait and see, or ask them. They seem like an unorganized bunch :lol:, everything seems so vague. Wish all this business was more black and white..

pevray

Hehe I wouldn't mind having the early offers released on the 16th though, since we get our results on the 13th.

UMAT Veteran

First things first, sorry to crush Anyones dreams but with regard to the admissions people saying that a GPA of 6.1 (or whatever it was) will be enough....there is no possible way to tell just yet and either you misheard them, they mislead u or they simply had no idea what was going on and just said that the gpa would be competitive (which for any other degree it would be). But like I said, there's just simply no way to know how competitive you'll need your gpa to be just yet

Secondly the early offer rounds are either for some international students OR are for completely different degrees. If it was just on QTACs website and it said that Griffith offers multiple offer rounds (before Jan 13) then it could very well be referring to some of it's music degrees which offer places in early December. But mind you, I haven't read any of the hyperlinks from previous posts because I have horrible reception at the moment and am typing from my phone...I'll be lucky if this post even makes it.

UMAT Veteran

Non stNdard applicants get their offers the same time as everyone else.

People can still change their QTAC prefs up until the new year I think (from memory), so it wouldn't make any sense to offer any places befor then because who knows, they might be high on the list for selection but then a bunch of nerds from high school change their application and bump that non standard off the list. If they've already offered
Them a place then they are depriving the more 'worthy' candidate of their place in the program.

Early offer dates are generally for courses that have separate admission requirements, like having to perform on an instrument for a music interview.

sublimeC

First things first, sorry to crush Anyones dreams but with regard to the admissions people saying that a GPA of 6.1 (or whatever it was) will be enough....there is no possible way to tell just yet and either you misheard them, they mislead u or they simply had no idea what was going on and just said that the gpa would be competitive (which for any other degree it would be). But like I said, there's just simply no way to know how competitive you'll need your gpa to be just yet

Secondly the early offer rounds are either for some international students OR are for completely different degrees. If it was just on QTACs website and it said that Griffith offers multiple offer rounds (before Jan 13) then it could very well be referring to some of it's music degrees which offer places in early December. But mind you, I haven't read any of the hyperlinks from previous posts because I have horrible reception at the moment and am typing from my phone...I'll be lucky if this post even makes it.

[OFFTOPIC]That is the longest thing I've ever seen typed from a phone :lol:[/OFFTOPIC]

byf

I think it's possible that the 2nd of December offer round is for non-standard applicants because I was just looking at all the health courses on QTAC for GU and all of them had 3 offer rounds (2 December, 16 December, 13 January) except for Bachelor of Medical Science (MBBS Provisional Entry for School-Leavers)....

I hope that makes sense. ^_^

Thanks..

Thanks for your comments, although nobody has been very helpful. These forums are based completely on conjecture and rumour and therefore can become quite contradictory and confusing. It is frustrating as a prospective applicant when information from the respective institutions and Qtac itself is either sketchy or unavailable altogether. I have applied and I will just have to wait and see what happens, I have radiography at QUT as a back-up. I'm just hoping entry isn't as competitive as most anticipate it will be, maybe the last 2 years of the course being non-csp will deter some?

HYM

Thanks for your comments, although nobody has been very helpful. These forums are based completely on conjecture and rumour and therefore can become quite contradictory and confusing. It is frustrating as a prospective applicant when information from the respective institutions and Qtac itself is either sketchy or unavailable altogether. I have applied and I will just have to wait and see what happens, I have radiography at QUT as a back-up. I'm just hoping entry isn't as competitive as most anticipate it will be, maybe the last 2 years of the course being non-csp will deter some?

It is difficult for anyone to give you a definitive answer. Employees at admissions do not know what the cut-off could be except that it is expected to be high (probably >6.5) because of not having the umat or interviews. They should not be telling you that your 6.1 GPA 'should' be ok because they could not possibly know and they could be giving you false hope or make others change their preference because they have been misinformed. I think it is very misleading and unfair for prospective students. The facts are that there is no consideration for umat, no interview and dentistry is a competitive degree. This means that it is expected for the marks to be relatively high. How high? nobody knows yet.

In terms of early offers (2nd and 16th of december), it is very likely. I know a handful of people studying dent there atm and they received early offers via phone from the uni.

Lastly, did you put JCU also before radiography? it is too late now so its useless for me to ask but I was just thinking.