Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

2012 Monash MBBS Interview Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leve7y

Median metro ATAR is around 99.30, but varies between 99.30-99.40. Median UMATs have never been released, but I'd assume they are around 96-97%ile, but this is just my own speculation.

25% of applicants are Bonded, I think ~30 people are ERC (don't quote me on this, but it's pretty small). MRBS aren't places as such, but is an additional scholarship that you can apply for after you get in, but there aren't many spots available in the scheme.
Are those unbonded or all places?
What would be your guesstimate for Unbonded specifically? (m... unbonded is not a recognised word, but guesstimate is?)

Is monash more inclined to give bonded spots to rural kids? Would being a 'rural' kid (qualifying for DRL) help with getting an unbonded spot much?

Thanks again !

pi

Junior doctor
Emeritus Staff
It's hard to give an estimate for Unbonded ATAR medians, as there are Bonded students with a wide range of ATARs, some as high as 99.90, some as low as 97.xx. I'd hazard a guess at it being pretty similar to the general metro median, if not a little higher.

DRL would help you get an ERC spot and generally helps to get a place. I wouldn't go as far as to say it would help in getting an Unbonded spot by any means.

Monash gives Bonded to bottom 25% of applicants, that's the only criteria they have as far as I know (ie. rural regional doesn't play a role).

Leve7y

DRL would help you get an ERC spot and generally helps to get a place. I wouldn't go as far as to say it would help in getting an Unbonded spot by any means.
Oh wow, i never realised that DRL wouldn't help for unbonded... Gotta get cracking harder then :\

Fifty shades

Hey guys, in particularly Rohitpi, what is the lowest ATAR non-rural Spot at Monash that you have heard of, just out of curiosity. The UMAT can be anything it doesn't matter. Cheer for the time and hopefully instilling some hope in me :D

pi

Junior doctor
Emeritus Staff
Hey guys, in particularly Rohitpi, what is the lowest ATAR non-rural Spot at Monash that you have heard of, just out of curiosity. The UMAT can be anything it doesn't matter. Cheer for the time and hopefully instilling some hope in me :D

I'm guessing it would be in the 96s with a pretty insane UMAT and interview? Having said that I haven't really asked around for people's ATARs haha. I have a couple of good friends who are Bonded with 97.xx ATARs with UMATs in the 94-96%ile range though :)

My UMAT score was 172, with 80%. I was so disappointed when I got it because I was sure that no university (using UMAT) will give me an interview. But fortunately I qualify for the Dean's Rural List and got an interview! Does anyone know how many rural applicants they accept? Do you think I have a chance if I perform well at the interview and got a 99 ATAR?

pi

Junior doctor
Emeritus Staff
Does anyone know how many rural applicants they accept? Do you think I have a chance if I perform well at the interview and got a 99 ATAR?

Yes, 25% of people are rural/regional (or claim to be) so that's around 80 people.

You have a chance :)

Yes, 25% of people are rural/regional (or claim to be) so that's around 80 people.

You have a chance :)

Thank you for that :lol:

Good luck to everyone for their interviews and hopefully the people who didn't get an interview will get into the second round offer in Jan.

HHS

Lurker
I personally find red contact lenses quite attractive.

I'm not an expert and being a man I've never personally partaken in the wearing of make-up, but Rohitpi has worn a lot in the past and from the experiences he has told me about I have discerned the following:
- Girls (and Rohitpi) never go anywhere without make up, interviews included.
- Obviously you don't want to go over the top, heavy eyeliner and eyeshadow are overkill.
- A little bit of foundation and mascara never goes astray.
The aim is to make yourself look neat, presentable, and professional. I would hope that the wearing of glasses or contacts would have no bearing on your favourability for selection and I would suggest wearing whatever makes you feel most comfortable and confident.

As for hair, you can really wear it any way you want as long as it is neat and presentable. Again having it the way that makes you feel the most confident and allows you to be comfortable 'in your own skin' will leave you in the best position for an interview. Goodluck and all the best!

[OFFTOPIC]@Rohitpi , I :heart: you. Don't change a thing.[/OFFTOPIC]

HAHAH. I'm glad you find red contact lenses attractive!
Thanks everyone for the feedback, I'll go check out the other threads. <3

p/s: international offers have been sent out too :D

Monash Interviews

Hi, I'm new to the medstudentsonline community and would just like to introduce myself. I am a Queensland Year 12 student and have been offered an interview at Monash University to study medicine. Please treat me kindly.

Well here's my scenario; I have been offered an interview and as you may or may not know, the interview time-frame is between the 6th and 12th of December. My complication however arrives here, I will be overseas, more secifically visiting family in Thailand at that time. Does anyone know if Monash can move my own single interview to an earlier or later date, or do a video interview, as I imagine that is what they do with their international applicants.

Thank you,
Calvin (I'm a guy)

pi

Junior doctor
Emeritus Staff
As far as I know they don't let domestic interviewees move their interviews unless it is an emergency (being sick, family crisis of some sort, etc.) as they only have one round. You can ask them (phone them up on Monday), but I doubt they'd agree to move the interview.

And all interviews are done face-to-face, even the international candidates,

I guess it comes down to whether med > holiday?

malekv

You can keep it there if you like, if you take it off you won't be able to get a scholarship interview if you're good enough for that.
I wouldn't bother unless you're unsure that you'll get in to your last preference and need to list more.

Wait, so I could get a scholarship with a huge ATAR, even with a crappy UMAT? Somehow that doesn't seem right... :S

Calem

Ol' Man River
Wait, so I could get a scholarship with a huge ATAR, even with a crappy UMAT? Somehow that doesn't seem right... :S
The scholarships are university-wide, so they're judged on ATAR/equity circumstances.
If you get them, you can get an interview for medicine as long as your UMAT is above 150 (I think, this is quite possibly wrong though)
And then if they like you enough you can get accepted.

malekv

My UMAT was 164 :) Good thing I kept it on my preferences then, thanks Calem!

A few questions: Does anyone know how SEAS effects an application (if you have already received an interview)? How and in what way? (specifically for a financial disadvantaged background)
Annd the ratio of number of interview to number of places given? i think i read somewhere that it was 2:1 but im not too sure!
Thanks!

pi

Junior doctor
Emeritus Staff
SEAS will help with the ATAR part of the application, ie. helps with 33% of the application.

The ratio is around 2:1 :)

woliaj

Lurker
Hi first post! quick question
can't find the answer anywhere
Anyone know how many interviews are given out and how many 'normal places' are offered
Thanks

eishi

Hey sorry if this got answered before, but if we've written down ERC as a VTAC preference, do we have to attend the special ERC interview sessions? Or are they optional? And if we do go to it, is the interview any different (like, more rural health focused or something?) or are they exactly the same?

I'm so confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.