UMAT: 93rd percentile
OLY1 or Graduate Entry: BHSc
Rural/MAPAS: Yes
Interview offer: Yes
Med offer: Yes

Reactions: 5HT

lane

Congrats, people!

Every time I learn about someone getting in with a not-terrific UMAT, or from a lower GPA I think 'YEAH!!' It really is most inspiring for me to hear of cases like that, since I'm so very much more likely to be one. It is so much more fun to read of those cases, rather than the cases where it seemed fairly straightfoward that those grades / that UMAT was going to get a place. I mean - congrats to all, but I'm trying to encourage the other people to post about wait lists etc...

Core GPA: 7.6
UMAT: 59th percentile
OLY1 or Graduate: OLY1 (Biomed)
MAPAS/Rural: No
Med offer: waitlisted :(

Have to wait a few more weeks to find out whether they can offer me a place, and I don't know my ranking.

Reactions: 5HT

lane

Luck, Biomedder, I've got my fingers crossed for you!

nonstop

Lurker
Core GPA: 9.0
UMAT: 26th percentile
OLY1 or Graduate: OLY1 (Biomed)
MAPAS/Rural: No
Med offer: Yes and Accepted

Bon

Congratulations again to those who have accepted offers! Welcome to Auckland!

[OFFTOPIC]Don't forget there's a Facebook page for your new class![/OFFTOPIC]

Thanks also to everybody for posting your scores and offers, as it'll help give those following in the future an idea of how they're tracking.

And best wishes for those who are further waiting for news – we all have our fingers crossed for you!

engapol

Nice, this sorta eased my fears. I've heard way too many rumors along the lines of, 'omg if you don't get a GPA of 9 you won't make it in'

Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Kiwiology

MSO Lawyer
Hi,

How do you apply to enter this university for MBChB? Can I apply as an Australian?

Regards,

DSM

Hi there sir, sorry to hear things have not worked out for you.

To apply to enter Medicine (MBChB) at the University of Auckland there are two pathways:

(1) First Year BHSc / BSc Biomedical science, and
(2) Graduate entry

For the most up to date information please review https://www.fmhs.auckland.ac.nz/en/.../undergraduate-study-options/mbchb/entry.html

As an Australian you are considered a domestic student, but you cannot access higher education loans or allowances until you have been resident in New Zealand for two years.

buttercream

Nice, this sorta eased my fears. I've heard way too many rumors along the lines of, 'omg if you don't get a GPA of 9 you won't make it in'
It's good to have a positive attitude but don't relax too much, from my observations this year has been an exception in terms of the GPA required to get into med. Last year, for example, you would pretty much have no (or very little) chance at med with a GPA of 8.25 or lower. Most people who got in had >8.5 (AND some people I know personally didn't get in with grades like that). It all depends on how the cohort performs overall :)

skia145

Core GPA: 8.75
Overall GPA: 8.0
UMAT: 67th percentile
OLY1 or Graduate Entry: BHSc
Rural/MAPAS: No

Med offer: Yes (ran half naked across the street so twas a good surprise)

Goodluck cohort of 2015. Dont take it too seriously and enjoy the first year because it really is an experience. Go O-week for sure because that pretty much set up my friendships for all of the year (and hopefully life :p ) and remember Medicine is not an end-all. If there was a quote that I remember boldly this year it was when a lecturer told us to take Medicine as a plan B and your "backup" as plan A. I know its hard but it really does loosen some nerves. I will make sure to help all of next year so best of luck future Med students.

It's good to have a positive attitude but don't relax too much, from my observations this year has been an exception in terms of the GPA required to get into med. Last year, for example, you would pretty much have no (or very little) chance at med with a GPA of 8.25 or lower. Most people who got in had >8.5 (AND some people I know personally didn't get in with grades like that). It all depends on how the cohort performs overall :)

Good advice. Was that referring to OLY1's or Grads? I was fortunate to slide on through this year but have good friends who are applying next year as grads so it would be good to know. Thanks

blackandwhite

To all grads that got in this year.. do you think a gpa of low 8s would he good enough to get in? I just haven't seen anyone on mso post about getting in with below 8 gpas, not to mention the low 8s... seems like we'll be needing at least an 8.4 or something crazy

Oxycodone

Surgical registrar
@blackandwhite I got in with a gpa of 8.36 (last 2 years), and a friend of mine with a similar gpa (i think 8.21ish) also got an offer, so i think getting in with low 8's is definitely possible

buttercream

Good advice. Was that referring to OLY1's or Grads? I was fortunate to slide on through this year but have good friends who are applying next year as grads so it would be good to know. Thanks

I was referring to OLY1s :)
Not 100% sure about graduates, obviously it would be harder to achieve grades in the 8 range continuously over 2 (or more) years...

blackandwhite

Thanks... that's reassuring. We really need more success stories like these! Getting an A average over 2 years is beyond 'amazing' for sure. The highest gpa I can get is 8.2 so I will work hard towards that

Congrats, people!

Every time I learn about someone getting in with a not-terrific UMAT, or from a lower GPA I think 'YEAH!!' It really is most inspiring for me to hear of cases like that, since I'm so very much more likely to be one. It is so much more fun to read of those cases, rather than the cases where it seemed fairly straightfoward that those grades / that UMAT was going to get a place. I mean - congrats to all, but I'm trying to encourage the other people to post about wait lists etc...

This is more specific to those under the rural/regional pathway- My friend who's GPA is below 7 (i think he said it was around 6.8 but not entirely sure) and has a UMAT of 56th percentile got into med through the rural pathway for 2015 MEDICINE! So there is definitely hope for those with lower GPA and UMAT percentiles. Keep at it guys! You can do it :)