Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

2017 UoA - MBChB Entry Scores & Offers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
Vongrst

Congrats on your exciting news!!! Just wondering were you waitlisted the whole time or waitlisted then declined then offered?

Hi,

I am fairly confident it was the former as Auckland is unlikely to have run out of students already.

Stay hopeful!!! Just got an offer this morning

Applied for: MBChB
FY/Graduate: FY
GPA (core): 8.25
UMAT raw score: 167
RRAS: No
UTAS: No
MAPAS: No
Interview: Yes
Offer: Waitlisted and offered this morning

Congratulations. You must be over the moon. Good luck with your future studies.

Last edited:
So do you think that means that people who have been waitlisted initially then had been declined are probably not gonna be asked anymore considering they still have people who were waitlisted but never declined

Last edited:

molive

Congratulations ehe333! Very excited for all the waitlist people on here :)

So do you think that means that people who have been waitlisted initially then had been declined are probably not gonna be asked anymore considering they still have people who were waitlisted but never declined

Unfortunately, I think that is probably the case. The only reason the waitlist will be moving now will be due to random freak cases of people dropping out and anybody not attending the compulsory first week. I think they probably declined some people so you aren't on the hook any longer and you can start to make peace. Gutted for you guys though, stay strong.

I don't think any offers are made after the year starts for Med.

Yes the first week of uni is compulsory for students to attend, but just because you do not attend that week, I don't think it means you lose your place to someone on the waitlist. I think saying that 'you will lose your place if you do not attend the orientation week' is the Uni's way of scaring the students to attend the first week.

If you think about it - if you were offered a place after uni starts, then you yourself haven't attended the first week!

molive

I don't think any offers are made after the year starts for Med.

Yes the first week of uni is compulsory for students to attend, but just because you do not attend that week, I don't think it means you lose your place to someone on the waitlist. I think saying that 'you will lose your place if you do not attend the orientation week' is the Uni's way of scaring the students to attend the first week.

If you think about it - if you were offered a place after uni starts, then you yourself haven't attended the first week!

Although I haven't personally heard of anybody that this has happened to, I actually wouldn't be surprised if this was legitimate and not just a scare tactic. It seems to me this is a perfect opportunity to do the final cull of anybody who isn't actually committed to the field and for the university to give their spot to somebody who actually needs it. There are also the vaccinations and group setups in that first week which are compulsory for obvious reasons and, even though you're right that anybody who was admitted after orientation hasn't attended it themselves, I would assume special arrangements are made for these rare cases.

hmm yeah thats very true! But what if there are students who start the year but don't continue with doing med? Will they most likely leave those places empty? And yeah i think for those still waitlisted, there may still be hope but for people like myself who got declined after being waitlisted :( it's just about focussing on our future studies :)

It depends. If it has only been 2 weeks, then perhaps the Uni will give the spot to someone else.

If it has been 5 weeks, no, because there is way too much to catch-up on.

molive

It depends. If it has only been 2 weeks, then perhaps the Uni will give the spot to someone else.

If it has been 5 weeks, no, because there is way too much to catch-up on.

Agreed. I have heard a rumour of a student being admitted 2 weeks in but can't remember if it was Auckland or Otago. In saying this, medicine has a 97% graduation rate throughout the whole 5 years so I would say dropouts in the first year are too rare for the university to worry about filling spots later in the year.

Michael Scott

UoA MBChB III
Applied for: MBChB, BOptom
FY/Graduate: FY
GPA (core): 8.25
UMAT raw score: 161
RRAS: No
UTAS: No
MAPAS: No
Interview: Yes
Offer: Yes, accepted
Offered spot in Optom, initially waitlisted for MBChB then offered a spot on 16/02/18
Update:

To my absolute surprise, I was called and offered a spot around 6pm last Friday (16th) just as the office was closing. This morning I managed to confirm my enrolment in time to join the cohort for orientation, talk about last minute! Anyone who is still waitlisted should definitely stay hopeful for another little while.

Pump

Update:

To my absolute surprise, I was called and offered a spot around 6pm last Friday (16th) just as the office was closing. This morning I managed to confirm my enrolment in time to join the cohort for orientation, talk about last minute! Anyone who is still waitlisted should definitely stay hopeful for another little while.

That's insane haha but congratulations!
My friend had a similar story, except he got accepted 2 days into orientation.

Status
Not open for further replies.