Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Griffith Griffith Dentistry: Accommodation Discussion

wilstno

I've just applied for accommodation at the Uni Village. Figured it'd be easier to sort myself out for the first year if I'm living on campus, then branch out after

greek boy

Hey,
I have booked my accommodation at the university village. 5 bedroom unit apartment for 40 weeks.
$266/week

I researched many places but this place is the best and closest for first year students.

Keen to see you guys there.

Hey,
I have booked my accommodation at the university village. 5 bedroom unit apartment for 40 weeks.
$266/week

I researched many places but this place is the best and closest for first year students.

Keen to see you guys there.

Any reason why you haven't considered Sphere? Looks like the best accommodation I have seen reviewed on forums etc. Especially great in terms of privacy, freedom and study environment. Should be a similar price for a furnished apartment for a 2 bedroom apartment. Let me know if anyone is keen to sign up with me. I need to know ASAP as I have a Griffith Uni Village offer that will lapse in 5 days and I dont really want to be stuck with it.

Sadly, I think I will be stuck with Griffith Uni village. Btw is this the same place you guys applied for? I think there is another place just called university village

wilstno

Sadly, I think I will be stuck with Griffith Uni village. Btw is this the same place you guys applied for? I think there is another place just called university village
Just double checked, and I can confirm that yes, I have applied for the great GUV. I guess I'll see you guys around the complex.

Hey just wondering if anyone ended up branching out this year? I'm an international coming to griffith next year, would love to hear some accommodation recommendations.

Hey just wondering if anyone ended up branching out this year? I'm an international coming to griffith next year, would love to hear some accommodation recommendations.
If you can't find any apartments near the university or near a tram station, uni square/village or whatever's associated with the uni should be fine for a while. I find it a bit expensive though, ~$250 a week can be a bit much. I'd recommend after settling in that you find an apartment and share it with other people to split the rent. I moved to the GC this year and found an apartment with my sister while sharing it with another random person, which means that I only pay $120 a week. A bonus is that it takes 2 minutes to talk to the tram station, and then a 6-7 minute ride to the Griffith Uni campus.

Hi everyone,
Just wanted to see if anyone's interested in 0ff-campus share accommodation with a couple? Would love to stay with like-minded students.
Thanks.

sal123

Wonder if any current/past students can comment on accommodation at Griffith (pros and cons of each on campus accommodation, best one to live in, when is the best time to apply, etc..) :)

Dr Dent

I find your lack of faith disturbing
I would be keen to hear about this as well. I feel like univillage is so expensive.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
This is purely anecdotal so take it with a grain of salt, but the on-campus accommodation seems largely taken up by non-local, young undergraduates who have just moved out of home (or at least it seemed that way when I was last at the uni). The majority of people live in share houses in the surrounding suburbs to the uni (predominantly Southport and Parkwood, but also further south in Broadbeach and other places near the tram line).

As dental students the majority of your classes will be based at G40, and I'd estimate it would take 15-20 minutes of walking from the university village to get there. If it's too expensive, I'd be finding a share house located near a tram stop and be catching the tram instead - I don't think the location of the on-site accommodation justifies the cost, and if you catch the tram then it will drop you about a 2-3 minute walk from G40 anyway; a much better option, in my opinion.

ETA: Someone has just posted this on PD which basically confirms my thoughts:
I booked a one-night stay at the village for interviews and that was enough to deter me. Whilst I'm all for a good time, I don't think the environment is conducive to medical students. It was loud until at least two or three in the morning (on a Tuesday night), and the arrangements are anything but homely.

Last edited:

sal123

This is purely anecdotal so take it with a grain of salt, but the on-campus accommodation seems largely taken up by non-local, young undergraduates who have just moved out of home (or at least it seemed that way when I was last at the uni). The majority of people live in share houses in the surrounding suburbs to the uni (predominantly Southport and Parkwood, but also further south in Broadbeach and other places near the tram line).

As dental students the majority of your classes will be based at G40, and I'd estimate it would take 15-20 minutes of walking from the university village to get there. If it's too expensive, I'd be finding a share house located near a tram stop and be catching the tram instead - I don't think the location of the on-site accommodation justifies the cost, and if you catch the tram then it will drop you about a 2-3 minute walk from G40 anyway; a much better option, in my opinion.

yeah it seems to be more of a party village more than an actual accommodation really. Think I'm just going to have to find off campus student accommodations

Also, I was wondering if you knew what first year was like (cant find the post for it) I.e. what subjects are done, is there any clinical exposure, and whether I can transfer credits from my bachelor of science

sal123

would you happen to have any input on the other student accommodations (university square, metro on central, nexus place, university village)

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
would you happen to have any input on the other student accommodations (university square, metro on central, nexus place, university village)
I don’t, sorry! But I think the general consensus is to avoid the student accommodation unless you’re keen on the party life (which wouldn’t necessarily be a bad thing, as the workload during undergrad is very manageable).

Is anyone willing to live in a sharehouse with fellow dental students? I was thinking of renting out a home/townhouse, and getting other dental students to live there as well.

Yyv26

Lurker
Is anyone moving to the gold coast looking for accomodation? I would prefer to live with fellow dental students rather than randoms.