Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

[Undergrad] (2023 Updated) Med schools Selection Criteria Y12s & Non-standards

Status
Not open for further replies.

A1

Rookie Doc
Hi - Welcome to MSO. Join us and post up your questions you'll get lots more useful tips than just from this table.

Hope this helps sort out the different requirements to get an undergrad/provisional Medicine place in Aus.
For dentistry selection criteria, see 2017-18 Dent schools Selection Criteria Y12s & Non-standards

D3xj1j.jpg

Note: ATAR for UQ has changed from 99.0 hurdle to 95.0 threshold/minimum.
(Threshold sets the minimum for eligibility to apply but it's counted toward the final ranking i.e. 95.x is less competitive than 99.x, whereas hurdle means provided you meet the mark it doesn't matter by how much).

Edit: Bond University
From 2018 entry, Bond Uni have introduced a Personal Qualities Assessment (PQA)-type questionnaire to their admissions process. An invite to sit the PQA requires 96ish+ ATAR or 6.0+ GPA.

The top ranked applicants will first be screened using this questionnaire, and then invited to interview from there. From interview, half will be offered a (presumably first round) place. This means interview to offer chances will be slightly better than 50%. - LMG! (with info provided by current Bond student, B2).

Attachments

• Med-Selection-2023.jpg
    Med-Selection-2023.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 1,880
Last edited:

A1

Rookie Doc
Also, copied from another post
========

Summary of ATAR(GPA) : UCAT : Interview component weighting % for place offers
- Griffith / USC - 100 : 0 : 0
- Flinders - 90 : 10 : 0
- Adelaide / Curtin - 40 : 20 : 40
- UNSW / Monash - 33 : 33 : 33 (UNSW has some hard cutoffs for each component)
- UWA - 30 : 20 : 50 (updated Feb2023)
- UQ / CQU - 25 : 25 : 50
- WSU / JPM - 0 : 25 : 75
- JMP - 0 : 0 : 100
- JCU - (Rurality factor * X) : 0 : Y with X:Y unknown, UTas i've lost track what they do.

Last edited:

pi

Junior doctor
Emeritus Staff
This is absolutely fantastic :)

Benjamin

ICU Reg (JCU)
Emeritus Staff
Great work, A1 - stickied the post.

I'll be trawling through interview and offer threads from last year to try and get an approximation for cut-offs.
Will post the progress here.

A1

Rookie Doc
Updated with:
- UTas selection criteria for non-rural applicants
- Curtin places increase from 60 to 70
- WSU website states place offers are based on Interview+UMAT with higher emphasis on the Interview, a WSU grad is adamant it's *all* on the Interview and UMAT is only for tiebreak.

---------------------
Previous updates:
- UQ recent UMAT cutoffs and places cut from 160 to 140
- UWA places up from 100 to 140 (at the expense of 40 grad-entry spots)
- UNSW advice on GPA-ATAR equivalent
- From 2018 application year UTas is likely to discontinue non-standard intake to take only BMedRes grads.

pi

Junior doctor
Emeritus Staff
To all the folks receiving your UMAT results today, check out the table in the first post of this thread (courtesy of A1), I think it will help guide you as to where you stand :)

ajs604

Hi I am looking to get into medicine. Does anyone know if UON look at Atar or just GPA for non-high school leavers? My GPA is 5.3. I did my degree over 10 years ago and feel it would be quicker to go the undergraduate route.

Dent would of been my first preference due to the less amount of studying required after the degree, so I could get back into the work place but it appears very competitive. I feel that applying to UON as a back plan would be ideal as I have heard you only need 50% in each section of the UMAT to get an interview. But I am not sure if they look at atar ect. I have a lot of skills relevant to medicine ect so if I got an interview I feel I would have a resonance chance and getting a place.

ETA: OP has been advised to consult the table provided above. (LMG!)

Last edited by a moderator:

ajs604

Hi so I have posted on here quite a bit before and my last post was directed to a table. I am looking to enter medicine or dentistry based on my GPA of 5.3. Basically I migrated here 8 years ago and have since become a citizen. I can see on some of the schools Atar is required as well as GPA as prerequisite. I did not do year 12 as such as I left school at 16 to pursue another career path ( the military). I then did an access course to higher education at the age of 20 and went on to study podiatry at the age of 21. An access course is equivalent to year 12 or in the UK 2 A levels so not sure what I can do about this? I have no idea how to convert this, as an access course is not listed on any of the schools websites.

Also what schools can I apply to based on my GPA? So far I have decided on UON for medicine and Adelaide for Dentsitry. Ideally I need some more which I have a realistic chance with. I have decided against graduate entry as I feel more comfortable with the UMAT style of entrance exam and also because for some schools my degree being 10 years old require me to do a postgraduate course as a refresher which would take 1-3 years. I am hoping to work full time this year and then leave my profession at the end of next year to study medicine or dentistry full time.

Thank you in advance.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hi so I have posted on here quite a bit before and my last post was directed to a table. I am looking to enter medicine or dentistry based on my GPA of 5.3. Basically I migrated here 8 years ago and have since become a citizen. I can see on some of the schools Atar is required as well as GPA as prerequisite. I did not do year 12 as such as I left school at 16 to pursue another career path ( the military). I then did an access course to higher education at the age of 20 and went on to study podiatry at the age of 21. An access course is equivalent to year 12 or in the UK 2 A levels so not sure what I can do about this? I have no idea how to convert this, as an access course is not listed on any of the schools websites.

Also what schools can I apply to based on my GPA? So far I have decided on UON for medicine and Adelaide for Dentsitry. Ideally I need some more which I have a realistic chance with. I have decided against graduate entry as I feel more comfortable with the UMAT style of entrance exam and also because for some schools my degree being 10 years old require me to do a postgraduate course as a refresher which would take 1-3 years. I am hoping to work full time this year and then leave my profession at the end of next year to study medicine or dentistry full time.

Thank you in advance.

For medicine, UNSW is the only non-standard university that also uses ATAR once you've got a completed degree.

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator

I believe the reason that you were diverted to a table is because this gives the appropriate ATAR cutoffs and some GPA cutoffs for non-standards near the bottom of it. However, you'll probably find it very difficult to get a conversion here - you will need to contact the relevant medical schools for how favourably they would convert your previous study.

A 5,3 GPA doesn't mean anything if you can't tell us what scale it was on - a 5.3 out of 7 is much worse than a 5.3 out of 9, etc.

Thank you in advance.

If you are serious about applying to medicine and you have already finished a degree, then you should 100% be applying for graduate entry medical schools. It doesn't matter how comfortable you are with the UMAT or GAMSAT - just how well you score in it.

In not sitting the GAMSAT you are preventing yourself from accessing more than half of the total available medical school places around the country for you.

Medicine (and dentistry) isn't a course where you can walk in just by doing well on the UMAT - the vast majority will never get in - so if you have finished a degree, either sit the GAMSAT (as well as the UMAT), or re-think whether you are actually serious about studying medicine. If you are serious about medicine, you'd sit the GAMSAT. If you aren't, why are you posting?

A1

Rookie Doc
I have updated the table with the latest information available:
- interview/place offer cutoff scores for UQ, USC, Adelaide, WSU, JMP
- WSU's slightly lower GPA hurdles for incomplete degrees
- WSU weighting for place offer 75% Interview 25% UMAT.

With the change to UCAT this will be my final update w.r.t competitive UMAT scores. Hope someone will take up with future UCAT scores.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hi everyone, I have updated this table to 2023 as far as I can recollect.

Please let me know of any bits that need attention, thanks.
I was so tempted to cheekily ask you to do this a couple of days ago when I linked a user to the old table! Thank you!! 😍

• Love
Reactions: A1

Status
Not open for further replies.