4 point GPA scale conversion

Discussion in 'University of Queensland' started by vincent168, Jan 26, 2011.

1. vincent168

vincent168 Stimodont

Hi,

I go to a university next year that would only give my GPA on a 4 point scale. But UQ of course required 5.8 on a 7 point scale. So how do I convert it? Hopefully it not multiply 7/4 as that would mean I need a GPA of 4.

2. thelosttwo01

thelosttwo01 New Member

(5.8/7)x100= 82.86%

0.8286 x 4.0 = 3.3144

You need a GPA of 3.31 (rounded down) to get a rank of 99 according to UQ and other unis that follow the 7 point scale :)

3. vincent168

vincent168 Stimodont

Thanks a lot

4. senor_dingdong

senor_dingdong New Member

Are you sure about this? It makes intuitive sense I guess but something tells me the universities would convert it using a different method.

Also if you're referring to 5.8 = OP1 for dentistry at UQ, that only applies if you went to a group of eight university (aka 'Group I' university). The threadstarter presumably studied in North America and so would need a 6.5/7 to get OP1 (I think any university that isn't a one of Australian group of eight is 'Group II'). Source: http://www.dentistry.uq.edu.au/faqs-bdsc

Thread starter, I think it's best to ask the faculty regarding your question.

5. thelosttwo01

thelosttwo01 New Member

Yeah my response would be incorrect if OP went to a university that was not a Group I (i.e. a Group of 8 University), you would have to get an equivalent GPA of 6.5 which would be 3.7142 on the 4 point scale assuming UQ does the conversion mathematically and not take any other factors into account nor use a different method to convert the GPA. Do what senor_dingdong said and really contact the School of Dentistry at dentistry@uq.edu.au or UQ Admissions at AdmissionsEnquiries@admin.uq.edu.au for clarification.

6. vincent168

vincent168 Stimodont

Oh, actually I go to Monash in Melbourne. Sorry for confusion. Also is 5.8 distinction as GPA of 3 is the borderline distinction average for 4 point GPA scale here in Monash. So just wondering does that mean only 3 is needed in terms of the distinction average

7. Jordan

Jordan Regular Member

6 is a distinction so 5.8 is just below

8. vincent168

vincent168 Stimodont

Hmm ok so do you think 3 (on 4 scale) is equivalent to 6 (on 7 scale) as they are both distinction on their own scales?
    Also that would mean 3 is actually above 5.8?

9. godoftoast

godoftoast SeƱor Member Emeritus

Not neccesarily. Some unis have differenet requirements for a 6 (ie. 75% versus 70% if course marks). Just email the administrator to find out. Once you do, post back here; I am sure there are many guests here who would also like to know.

10. vincent168

vincent168 Stimodont

They replied to me saying I should send them my academic transcript for an accurate estimation....I have no idea why they think I have my marks already when hoping to apply in 2011?

11. medreamer

medreamer New Member

So, is there no actual formula for converting? cause i've looked everywhere and can't really find it... ><

12. tul

tul New Member

Hi,

Currently need help with this GPA business!

My GPA is currently 2.13 out of 4.0. The minimum GPA you need at Queensland uni for med entry is a 5.0 on the 7.0 scale.
    Does anyone know how to convert my gpa to the 7.0 scale. Totally lost!!!!!!!!

13. Calem

Calem Ol' Man River

There is no direct conversion scale. 5.0 is a 70% average, often but not always a Credit average.

14. will22

will22 Regular Member

If there is no direct conversion between the 4 point and 7 point scale then how do universities using the 7 point scale assign a GPA to those students who are applying with a 4-point GPA. Do they ignore your universities GPA and just use your marks for each unit and put them into the 7-point scale formula?

15. Lynas

Lynas New Member

I have a feeling they use your percentage of each study to calculate your GPA for that study on the 7 point scale.

E.g. you get 86, 77, 72, 67
    Your GPA's are 7, 6, 5, 5
    Your GPA for the semester is 5.75

As opposed to a 4 point scale:
    Your GPA's would be 4, 3, 3, 2

Haq94 likes this.
  16. ai93

ai93 New Member

Hi,

I go to Monash in Melbourne too, I do pharmacy and my gpa is 2.250. I did the calculations as above and it's well below a credit, I'm confused.