Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UQ UQ Dentistry: GPA Requirements and Conversions

vincent168

Stimodont
Hi,

I go to a university next year that would only give my GPA on a 4 point scale. But UQ of course required 5.8 on a 7 point scale. So how do I convert it? Hopefully it not multiply 7/4 as that would mean I need a GPA of 4.

(5.8/7)x100= 82.86%

0.8286 x 4.0 = 3.3144

You need a GPA of 3.31 (rounded down) to get a rank of 99 according to UQ and other unis that follow the 7 point scale :)

(5.8/7)x100= 82.86%

0.8286 x 4.0 = 3.3144

You need a GPA of 3.31 (rounded down) to get a rank of 99 according to UQ and other unis that follow the 7 point scale :)
Are you sure about this? It makes intuitive sense I guess but something tells me the universities would convert it using a different method.

Also if you're referring to 5.8 = OP1 for dentistry at UQ, that only applies if you went to a group of eight university (aka 'Group I' university). The threadstarter presumably studied in North America and so would need a 6.5/7 to get OP1 (I think any university that isn't a one of Australian group of eight is 'Group II'). Source: http://www.dentistry.uq.edu.au/faqs-bdsc

Thread starter, I think it's best to ask the faculty regarding your question.

Yeah my response would be incorrect if OP went to a university that was not a Group I (i.e. a Group of 8 University), you would have to get an equivalent GPA of 6.5 which would be 3.7142 on the 4 point scale assuming UQ does the conversion mathematically and not take any other factors into account nor use a different method to convert the GPA. Do what senor_dingdong said and really contact the School of Dentistry at [email protected] or UQ Admissions at [email protected] for clarification.

vincent168

Stimodont
Oh, actually I go to Monash in Melbourne. Sorry for confusion. Also is 5.8 distinction as GPA of 3 is the borderline distinction average for 4 point GPA scale here in Monash. So just wondering does that mean only 3 is needed in terms of the distinction average

vincent168

Stimodont
Hmm ok so do you think 3 (on 4 scale) is equivalent to 6 (on 7 scale) as they are both distinction on their own scales?
Also that would mean 3 is actually above 5.8?

godoftoast

Señor Member
Emeritus Staff
Hmm ok so do you think 3 (on 4 scale) is equivalent to 6 (on 7 scale) as they are both distinction on their own scales?
Also that would mean 3 is actually above 5.8?

Not neccesarily. Some unis have differenet requirements for a 6 (ie. 75% versus 70% if course marks). Just email the administrator to find out. Once you do, post back here; I am sure there are many guests here who would also like to know.

vincent168

Stimodont
They replied to me saying I should send them my academic transcript for an accurate estimation....I have no idea why they think I have my marks already when hoping to apply in 2011?

tul

Lurker
Hi,

Currently need help with this GPA business!

My GPA is currently 2.13 out of 4.0. The minimum GPA you need at Queensland uni for med entry is a 5.0 on the 7.0 scale.
Does anyone know how to convert my gpa to the 7.0 scale. Totally lost!!!!!!!!

Calem

Ol' Man River
Hi,

Currently need help with this GPA business!

My GPA is currently 2.13 out of 4.0. The minimum GPA you need at Queensland uni for med entry is a 5.0 on the 7.0 scale.
Does anyone know how to convert my gpa to the 7.0 scale. Totally lost!!!!!!!!
There is no direct conversion scale. 5.0 is a 70% average, often but not always a Credit average.

will22

If there is no direct conversion between the 4 point and 7 point scale then how do universities using the 7 point scale assign a GPA to those students who are applying with a 4-point GPA. Do they ignore your universities GPA and just use your marks for each unit and put them into the 7-point scale formula?

Lynas

I have a feeling they use your percentage of each study to calculate your GPA for that study on the 7 point scale.

E.g. you get 86, 77, 72, 67
Your GPA's are 7, 6, 5, 5
Your GPA for the semester is 5.75

As opposed to a 4 point scale:
Your GPA's would be 4, 3, 3, 2

ai93

Hi,

I go to Monash in Melbourne too, I do pharmacy and my gpa is 2.250. I did the calculations as above and it's well below a credit, I'm confused.

swaggyp1

Hi, I apologize for re-opening this thread however my current GPA is 3.25/4, I was wondering what this would convert to? My cumulative percentage is 81%, but when I had a look at WSU, it said simply multiply it by 1.75, with 3.25x1.75 = 5.7 (rounded up), which doesn't make sense to me. Is anyone able to tell me whether or not this is true and why it is this way etc.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Hi, I apologize for re-opening this thread however my current GPA is 3.25/4, I was wondering what this would convert to? My cumulative percentage is 81%, but when I had a look at WSU, it said simply multiply it by 1.75, with 3.25x1.75 = 5.7 (rounded up), which doesn't make sense to me. Is anyone able to tell me whether or not this is true and why it is this way etc.
A1 might have some more/differing info (I feel like this has been discussed somewhere before but I can’t recall where), but at the end of the day, it’s UAC that will calculate your GPA, not WSU.

If your academic transcript specifically records the mark/100 that you achieved in each unit, then I believe UAC will just recalculate your GPA with that information, as per
In order to compare an applicant’s achievement with that of applicants with similar qualifications from other universities, UAC converts grades into numerical values and then calculates a standardised grade point average. UAC considers the grade equivalent of students' marks, rather than the individual marks.

WSU also states after the *1.75 comment that:
This is a guide for domestic applicants only and the University reserves the right to ascertain your equivalent score.

I wouldn’t be concerned if I was you.

A1

Rookie Doc

Before I reply to this please clarify, does your uni record/transcript include for EACH unit:
(a) a numeric mark
(b) a grade code, what is it like: 4/3/2/1 or something else?

swaggyp1

Before I reply to this please clarify, does your uni record/transcript include for EACH unit:
(a) a numeric mark
(b) a grade code, what is it like: 4/3/2/1 or something else?

Yes, it has a numeric value %, and then its code next to it (HD,D,ETC). At the bottom of the transcript it has what those codes ranges are (e.g HD 85-100)

Last edited: