Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

95.6 - Melb. Biomed?

l@flame

Hi all

I am taking a quasi gap year and will be enrolling in either Biomedicine or Science next year. My rank is 95.60 and I know the 2010 'clearly in' rank is 97.90. I don't think my family is poor enough to qualify for Access Melbourne (which I happen to think is a bit unfair, what if I live on my own and don't get along with my parents?).

So, guys do you reckon I will make it into Biomedicine? Can I get by with an 'ambiguous in'? (how is this worked out?)

Or should I enroll in Science and apply for internal transfer? Is this straightforward if you work you bottom off and maintain a high GPA?

Thank you.

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator
You could just put biomedicine as your first preference and then science as your second. What is your end goal?

l@flame

My end goal is to do mbbs. Since I am taking a year off (made the wrong choice), it makes it really really hard for me to get into undergraduate medicine.

I heard it can be really competitive, internal transfer that is.

Wonder if anyone got into Melb. Biomed with a rank below 97.9 without Access Melbourne?

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator
Considering the demand for courses at Melbourne, 2 whole ATAR points below a clearly-in is going to make it really hard (very, very hard) to get in to biomed the first time around. I would think that the people who got in were all 97.85 or above. But I assume you are applying through vtac, in which case, the above still holds - put biomed first and then science, so if you don't get biomed you can still get science?

B_raja

Considering the demand for courses at Melbourne, 2 whole ATAR points below a clearly-in is going to make it really hard (very, very hard) to get in to biomed the first time around. I would think that the people who got in were all 97.85 or above. But I assume you are applying through vtac, in which case, the above still holds - put biomed first and then science, so if you don't get biomed you can still get science?
totally agree i looked into it and a science degree with the right combination of subjects + good grades+ GAMSAT should give you an equal chance of doin postgrad med at melb uni and other unis

Lozzy

smilee ☺ <font color="Yellow">★ ★</font>
Emeritus Staff
you could still try for undergrad. Your mark is high enough to get you over the threshold, and with a good umat/interview, the fact that you're an NSL won't mean much. A lot of people have gotten in before you, and hell, it's even easier in some unis (e.g. UTAS). It won't hurt to register for umat (ok it might hurt your wallet a bit, but applications are now open, I registered and started preparing later than this, and I still did fine. If your end goal is MBBS, and you don't really care where (might be harder in Monash because your mark isn't a threshold there), then get a high umat and you'll be set :)

vexx

My end goal is to do mbbs. Since I am taking a year off (made the wrong choice), it makes it really really hard for me to get into undergraduate medicine.

I heard it can be really competitive, internal transfer that is.

Wonder if anyone got into Melb. Biomed with a rank below 97.9 without Access Melbourne?
Sorry but there isn't a chance to get into biomed unless you transfer in second year, which is a definite possibility if your doing science at melbourne doing similar subjects.

I know of someone who had zero chances of getting into biomed even with 0.05 below clearly-in. They are very strict with this.