Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

99.90 - Guaranteed?

bearman

Hi guys,

I'm facing a bit of a dilemma in trying to decide between med courses. My ATAR is 99.90 and my UMAT is 97 and I currently live in Sydney. I really like the look of the UniMelb BBiomed/MD but the fact that there's an interview after 3 years of interstate study is a bit worrying. Has anyone heard anything about the success rate of the guaranteed applicants getting in to the MD?

Thanks

P.S. The alternative at the moment is probably UNSW (which I'm not a huge fan of)

chinaski

Hi guys,

I'm facing a bit of a dilemma in trying to decide between med courses. My ATAR is 99.90 and my UMAT is 97 and I currently live in Sydney. I really like the look of the UniMelb BBiomed/MD but the fact that there's an interview after 3 years of interstate study is a bit worrying. Has anyone heard anything about the success rate of the guaranteed applicants getting in to the MD?

Thanks

P.S. The alternative at the moment is probably UNSW (which I'm not a huge fan of)

The MD course hasn't even started yet (their first year begins in 2011), so there is no historical evidence regarding provisional entry success rates.

sainteced

Congrats on your scores. They are great marks!

What do you have against UNSW? do you want a more research based degree?

Bobby21

Out of curiousity, why not UNSW or UWS?

Your chances at UWS depend on your section 3 score and interview.

As for UNSW, not many people with that ATAR-UMAT combo miss out on admission, though people have in the past depending on how their interview went.

Dr.A

Legend..wait for it..
Out of curiousity, why not UNSW or UWS?

Your chances at UWS depend on your section 3 score and interview.

As for UNSW, not many people with that ATAR-UMAT combo miss out on admission, though people have in the past depending on how their interview went.

UWS had med?

bearman

To be honest, I haven't made my mind up yet about which university I want to go to. Nonetheless, I would really like to do a science degree before jumping into med (since my ATAR is high enough, I figured that the UniMelb guaranteed pathway is a safer bet than doing advanced science at USYD and regular postgrad med with GAMSAT).

@Bobby21, sainteced: I really don't have a valid response for that other than I've heard good things about UniMelb and bad things about UWS/UNSW (as well as what I stated above). Also, I have no idea how I went in the interviews as I can't really compare them to anything else I have ever done.

Anyway, to stay on topic: Is anyone capable of giving a rough ballpark figure for how many spots are open for the 99.90 students relative to how many 99.90 students are doing bbiomed (despite next year being the first year, has there been any rough preliminary statistical information released)? I know that I'm not likely to find anything extremely reliable, but it's a bit of a tough decision to make so any information at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the responses so far, keep em coming :)

Ken2010

Hi guys,

Thanks

I think you'd be better off applying for Monash MBBS as you can enter from high school (if successful), unlike Melbourne which now requires an Undergraduate degree.

Anecdotally since the implementation of the Melbourne Model, a lot more people have been applying for Monash Medicine and Law.

wazii

Why not the Usyd prov entry?

University of Sydney only considered students for interview if they got 99.95% so I think he just missed out ! Their Music double degree med you only need 99.5 but you also had to do an audition

G.Zod

Hey guys, it's been a few years since Melbourne's guaranteed entry has been implemented, I was wondering if anyone could share their opinion on their Chancellor's Scholars Biomed into MD pathway now?

geek

Perplex
bump:)
a bit concerned about how guaranteed the pathway is
if you pass all the interview stations, do you get in
or is it competitive
e.g A gets more marks in the interview than B,provided that they both pass
do both A and B get into the grad med course
or does A have a higher chance?

and the website states "passing"the interview !
what does a "pass" mean ?
cheers

Tomato

Perplex
or is it competitive

cheers

My understanding is if you pass 5 out of 8 stations, you get in regardless your competitors' performance. In your example, if both A and B pass 5 out of 8, they both get in.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
The interview is one hurdle. The 75 WAM requirement for the length of the degree is another. The 300k+ fees in the MD for non-Chancellor's students is probably the biggest one. It's far less "guaranteed" than what the name suggests - if you were to get a medical school offer elsewhere (excluding Bond), I'd highly suggest you take it.

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator
Perplex
or is it competitive

cheers

My understanding is if you pass 5 out of 8 stations, you get in regardless your competitors' performance. In your example, if both A and B pass 5 out of 8, they both get in.

Of course, nothing stops them from setting the pass mark high enough to cull the correct number of people.

Perplex

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
Perplex
or is it competitive

cheers

Apologies for my late reply. You need to pass at least 5/8 stations and maintain a 75 WAM for the pathway (obviously having achieved a 99+ ATAR for the FFP pathway and 99.95 for Chancellors).
As long as you pass you get in, but as others have mentioned the pass mark is unknown and they do not release this information.
A pass is what they set, this is not necessarily 50%, but a mark that is judged to be appropriate with respect to the distribution of the sitting cohort.

As others have mentioned it is risky, but it does offer some guarantee. If you are willing and able to pay the FFP amount (or have attained a 99.95) it may be worthwhile considering, while acknowledging the risks associated with underperforming in the MMI.

As Mana mentioned, a particularly high scoring interview cohort will mean the "pass" is probably higher.

Apue

It seems the guaranteed pathway to MD has been existing more than a decade but it's difficult to find out the actual statistics of the guaranteed pathway students.

I had asked to a current MD student and she replied pretty same as you guys posted here. (i.e. better to do well in MMI to be safe)
What I found so far ;

More than a third of the BioMed graduates enter the MD program which represents half of the total Melbourne MD places.
And the rest enter either Dentistry or optometry or further research. So the success rate is pretty high compared to those of med science graduates from UNSW and Monash
My guess is that some of the BioMedicine graduates might got an offer from UQ or Usyd CSP places so they will choose the FFP as the very last resort.

I'm curious what percentage of 99+ ATAR students failed to get CSP and BMP spot in Melbourne MD and then failed the MMI test. This assures how safe the program is for future ATAR 99+ students.

For some, paying 350K+ fee is not a biggest hurdle as I can see the competition to the Bond medicine is pretty high, too.