A career in gas

Discussion in 'Postgraduate Forum' started by WantToGas, Mar 10, 2018.

1. WantToGas

WantToGas New Member

Hey ya'll,

I'm a student in NSW, I'm quite interested in becoming an Anaesthetist (or Anesthesiologist as with recent news). I'm just wondering, aside from developing the skills outlined on the QARTS referral form - ie. Lines, tubing, what can I start doing now to ensure I'm a competitive applicant in a few years?

My plan would be to try secure a PGY3 critcare SRMO position if I could and if all goes well be in a position to apply for PGY4 trainee jobs. I am however not too worried if it takes me longer to get on, am in no rush.

Would it be wise for me to apply for internship/RMO at places like Albury or Wagga? I ask this because they have gas terms for their interns and residents, whereas if I were to do my internship at say RNSH I'd not get a gas term until PGY3 (And that's if I'm lucky enough for a crit care SRMO at the same hospital!).

Would love to hear from anyone on the forum that's applied gas.

2. pi

pi Junior doctor Moderator

Junior doctor
    Hate to divert people away from MSO, but we have a very small community of doctors here, and most are relatively junior. If I were you, I'd join the PagingDr forum and then start reading this thread Login which is all about anaesthetics. If you have questions that aren't already answered in that thread, you can just reply and add them there :)

3. Benjamin

Benjamin Resident (JCU MBBS) Administrar

I personally think that gas terms as an intern are probably not worth as much as you would think - I would preference a hospital that you would be happy to stay at for a few years as for the most part the Critical Care SRMO jobs tend to go to people from within the hospital system already, i.e. they hire preferentially from within their own hospital. This isn't 100% the case but is what I have definitely observed anecdotally as someone heading in similar directions. At the same time you need to be ready / aware of the fact that you might have to move across states to get the spots you want.

As a rule the best way to make yourself competitive is to satisfy the application criteria beyond "medical expert". This generally means doing things that demonstrate (caution: buzzwords directly from the selection criteria) your communication, collaboration, management & leadership, health advocacy, scholarship & professionalism. Essentially that translates to doing research / audits / being involved in local committees at your hospital / going to CPD on leadership etc. Certainly these aren't easy things to do while working but anything you can do to get a leg up is probably worth it.

As Pi has mentioned, there is a far bigger group of post-graduate doctors with more experience than myself over at PagingDr.