A competitive GAMSAT score

Discussion in 'GAMSAT' started by Madrid, Sep 30, 2012.

1. t@n01

t@n01 BMedSci/MD I

Medical Student
    Hey guys, I've somehow managed to get a GAMSAT score of 76 (~100%ile), but I'm currently two years away from being eligible to apply (I can apply for post-grad med in 2019). The situation, however, is that I've also managed a 96th percentile UMAT and landed an interview for UNSW medicine. So my question is, would my GAMSAT score guarantee me a place in medicine in 2 years (or at least, greatly improve my chances), and is it advisable to wait for entry into a med school in my home state (which I would prefer)? Or should I grab the UNSW offer (if I happen to get it) and start undergrad medicine, seeing that post-grad entry is getting more competitive by the day? Mana , I'd love to hear your advice in particular! :)

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  2. acbard9

acbard9 Regular Member

Firstly, we should consider what Universities are in your home state, and what those Universities use for entry.

Your GAMSAT is undoubtedly excellent and would've landed you a place at UQ every year since they've introduced MD (as they essentially only use GAMSAT given that you meet their GPA minimum of 5). However, the trend of scores that would land a place at UQ, and at other postgraduate-entry universities, increases every year (as I'm sure you are aware). Whilst your GPA right now may suffice, there's never a guarantee that it will suffice in the future, considering there are also interview components (and portfolio components for some universities). I do feel that Sydney is not the cheapest place to live, and the UNSW course will be longer, but I would personally advise against not taking UNSW if you are offered, as it may be a chance you may not get again (not a dig at you, it's just that even the best scores don't guarantee entry!).

However, you may wish to consider graduate-entry Universities that will not use scores from a new Bachelor's degree. In that way, you can start UNSW, and not have your marks from UNSW Med count in addition to the 3 FTE of your last completed degree. I don't actually know if there are universities that do this, let alone in your particular state, so I wish you the best with whatever happens.

(Sorry if this isn't useful lol. Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents).

EtA: I just realised that last point wouldn't work, as you wouldn't have completed your degree if you switch into UNSW Med lol. My bad :p .

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    t@n01 likes this.
  3. LMG!

LMG! UTAS MBBS I Moderator

Clinical Psychologist
    Mana is galivanting around foreign countries at the moment.

Let's weigh this up: depending on your GPA, that GAMSAT would (based on previous years) get you a spot at UQ (no interview). Given (I think) all other universities use an interview as part of the selection criteria, there's no "guaranteed offer" GAMSAT score outside of (possibly) UQ. An MSO user with a 100th%ile GAMSAT got an EOD last year, for example.

Other things to weigh up: years until course completion. UNSW is a six year course, grad Med is four years. Even if you started UNSW the year before you started grad Med, you'd still finish your grad Med degree a year earlier.

Can you afford to move to Sydney next year?

Would another year at home/working give you the opportunity to save some $$ should you need to move for 2019 (in case your grad Med offer is also interstate, should you get one).

Would you be willing to risk a spot (at UNSW, if you get one? on the back of a maybe? Ask EJM if this is a good idea ;)

Check Paging Dr for successful GAMSAT score combos.

What is your home state?

t@n01 likes this.
  4. acbard9

acbard9 Regular Member

t@n01 likes this.
  5. t@n01

t@n01 BMedSci/MD I

Medical Student
    thanks guys! i'm in SA right now. Since I'd only be able to start grad med in 2020 (I finish my degree half way through 2019), both UNSW and grad-medicine would take the same amount of time from now.
    It is a tough decision to make ( nonetheless I feel extremely fortunate to even be in this situation!). I'll definitely think it through in these next few months, and will see what I end up deciding! thanks again for all the input :)

6. LMG!

Clinical Psychologist
    Above you mention you can apply for grad Med in 2018, which would mean you'd start in 2019. Is that a typo?

And yeah, as A1 said, if you're looking at 2020, your 76 will be expired. Definitely take UNSW if you get it and if you can afford to move :)

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  7. Crow

Crow Moderator Moderator

Agree with this (definitely take the UNSW offer if you get it!), however because he sat September GAMSAT, the 76 won't expire for 2020 entry if he applies in 2019.

From Acer: Candidates may apply for admission to the graduate entry schools up to two years after the date on which they sit the test.
    AUSTRALIA: to apply in 2017 for a course commencing in 2018 ONLY the following results can be used: September 2015, March 2016, September 2016, March 2017. Therefore to apply for a course commencing in 2020 the results from September 2017 will be able to be used, unless Acer changes their rules.

(EtA: It was why I quickly deleted my post - A1) :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2017
    t@n01 and LMG! like this.
  8. LMG!

Clinical Psychologist
    Ahh, I knew it was 2 years but didn't realise it was from exam to application, not exam to start.

This!!

t@n01 and Crow like this.
  9. t@n01

t@n01 BMedSci/MD I

Medical Student
    Yeah I was confused about this too, since everyone seems to think that you can only start sitting the test from 2nd year onwards (for a 3 year degree). But I asked ACER numerous times and they always seemed to suggest that Sept 2017 would be valid. Just sent them another email for a final confirmation haha, lets see what they say

UPDATE: so yeah my score is valid for 2020 entry, ACER's just confirmed :)

They said this:
    "
    Please note that your results will be current for your application in 2019. GAMSAT results are valid for two years. Therefore, your September 2017 GAMSAT results will be valid for your application in 2019. As stated in the email we sent you on 07/08/2017, the following results can be used when applying in 2019 for entry in 2020:

* GAMSAT SEPT 2017

* GAMSAT March 2018

* GAMSAT SEPT 2018

* GAMSAT March 2019

"

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    LMG! likes this.
  10. Pirsig

Pirsig New Member

My vote goes to the 'take the UNSW offer if you get it' camp.

Although you're clearly a competitive applicant for both pathways, there are too many unknowns to GUARANTEE a post-grad spot in 2020 (i.e. GPA/Interview/other endowed applicants/potential criteria changes/other non-academic/personal changes).

If you're given the opportunity to study at UNSW i'd take it - save you the uncertainty. And although it's expensive, Sydney is a nice place to live.

Best of luck re: your interview and for whatever choice you make!

t@n01 likes this.
  11. Crow

Crow Moderator Moderator

This is true for the March sitting, but you can sit the September exam two years before your application! This is just uncommon, given the expense of the exam, the fact that you still have 3 other chances after that before your application, and the fact that science undergrad candidates would probably be more prepared after their second semester in first year is complete and they've got foundational knowledge for SIII - + Acer's recommended science knowledge is first year university level chemistry and biology

t@n01 likes this.
  12. Mana

Mana Resident Medical Officer (UNDS MBBS) Administrar

Resident Medical Officer
    Hey there - as LMG! has stated I'm overseas on break at the moment (in sunny Iceland) but my advice mostly echos that above - if it was me, if I got a UNSW offer then I'd at least accept and defer it - there is just too much uncertainty around med admissions to be declining offers without a firm guarantee.

If you were to apply to UQ with that GAMSAT then provided you make the GPA cutoff you'd receive a CSP place at UQ free of interview (provided the score was still valid for applying that year). If your GPA is a perfect 7 at the moment (or is pretty much guaranteed to be above the UQ cutoff), then it is a reasonable decision to wait a year if you preferred UQ over UNSW. Remember that we can't always predict the future so if something really bad happens to you in the next year you might end up ineligible for grad entry.

My current long term partner is a UNSW graduate. I would vouch for the quality of their course but also know that finishing a year earlier is also potentially better for career progression.

That said, both are reasonable decisions as I am 100% certain UQ's GAMSAT cutoff isn't going to 100%ile any time soon. At the very least I would be applying to UNSW, interviewing, and deferring the place received if you got one, if you wanted to try for UQ or another grad entry uni in a more convenient location for you. It's always possible for example that you end up having some life event that causes you to drop out of university next year which would then make you ineligible for grad medicine. In this case, you'd want some insurance against that.

For another grad entry perspective you might want to ask Perplex.

Pirsig, t@n01 and acbard9 like this.
  13. chinaski

chinaski Regular Member

Boh's site, whilst excellent, actually isn't PagingDr (we're just very good friends). Paging Dr link is thus (no membership, no read): Login

Pirsig, t@n01 and acbard9 like this.
  14. Perplex

Perplex Moderator Moderator

I just wanted to echo a lot of the advice which has already been mentioned. Admissions is a relatively unpredictable circumstance and there are several variables which are beyond your control. If I were in your position I'd take the UNSW interview and see how things go, ultimately you're just opening more options for yourself by attending the interview and potentially getting a spot. Also it does depend a bit on which med schools are in your home state - e.g. are they mostly portfolio unis, do they just look at GPA/GAMSAT/Interview? Consider all of these factors and go for universities which align with your strengths. Hope that provided some clarity :)

15. greenfrog

greenfrog New Member

I currently have a GPA of 7, what minimum GAMSAT score would be competitive to get into Griffith or other uni's? :)

16. Crow

Crow Moderator Moderator

I would suggest you sign up for pagingdr and look at the admissions threads there, there's a wealth of info there

acbard9 and LMG! like this.
  17. Michael Balfour

Michael Balfour New Member

Having a high GPA seems to be somewhat more important than having a high GAMSAT score, it certainly would at least reduce the need for a high GAMSAT score. Furthermore, if you got a GPA 6.5 to 7 from your last completed degree then it would be a good idea to not do another degree and just focus on getting into a medical degree like the MBBS or MD or equivalent medicine+surgery degree. This is because some of the graduate/GAMSAT universities (Griffith, UQ, UWA) say that they will only use the GPA from your last completed degree. This might be a problem for me because my second last completed degree was a PhD (2013, GPA 7), and my last completed degree was an MIP degree (2017, GPA 2.88/4.00, the UQ admissions officer said that GEMSAS would give my MIP degree a 6.09/7.00). Other graduate/GAMSAT universities don't seem to mention any requirement of only considering your last complete degree with its GPA, these are ANU; USyd; UOW (but only considers bachelor degrees); Notre Dame (Sydney and WA, appears to consider only bachelor degrees); and Flinders, Melbourne, Deakin (the last three would probably only consider my 2007 BSc Honours Class 1 degree, unweighted GPA 5.83, weighted GPA 6.11). Despite what I said about Griffith and UWA above, A1 has said that Griffith and UWA may still honour the GPA 7 from my PhD and that a later lower degree like my MIP would not wipe out the GPA 7 from my PhD. I'm going to email and/or ring up Griffith and UWA tomorrow to ask them about this.

18. A1

A1 Admissions Speculator Moderator

UWA MD minus-I
    UQ Med says clearly on its website the GPA of the most recent qualification is used, including 1-year Grad Dip on its own. Despite this method it usually doesn't affect applicants like yourself since it's a hurdle requirement of 5.0 i.e. doesn't waste the extra value of a previous PhD.

UWA is different. It says in the Gemsas 2019 Guide
    "Applicants with completed PhDs:
    Applicants who have completed a PhD by the time of application will be awarded/deemed a GPA of 7.0".

This is a separate paragraph independent of the one on calculating GPA on the latest 3 FTE years. I'm optimistic that means a later degree does not negate the deemed worth of a PhD holder (otherwise it would be like stripping you of your Dr title ;) ).

Griffith isn't as clear but could be interpreted similarly.

19. Anne Smith

Anne Smith New Member

Hello A1
    As a guide, would a GPA score of 6.8 and Gamsat of 67 be accepted for Deakin uni med school.

20. Crow

Crow Moderator Moderator

Hi Anne, this is quite a complex question due to quite a number of factors, including:
    a) The fact that graduate entry requirements change (generally increase) each year and are thus difficult to accurately predict; and
    b) The various bonuses that Deakin awards to applicants for financial hardship, work experience, healthcare experience and Geelong residency that means that an applicant with (for example) a 6.5 GPA and 60 GAMSAT could potentially be more competitive than someone with the scores listed above with no bonuses; and, arguably most importantly
    c) The large weighting that is placed on the interview in determining whether you gain a place offer - Deakin specifically gives the interview a weighting of 50% in determining place offers

Based on the most recent release of GEMSAS interviews you would likely have received one with those scores, but future cutoffs are very likely to change and as mentioned your chance of a place offer is highly dependent on your success in the interview process (which is very difficult for you or anyone else to predict).

You also need to consider that while you need to compete against other applicants interviewing at Deakin, you are also competing against everyone else in the GEMSAS system who preferenced Deakin.

You may wish to join PagingDr if you haven't already done so, as MSO is largely an undergraduate entry forum, whereas PD has a wealth of information regarding graduate entry admissions (as well as much, much more).

Best of luck :)

acbard9 and LMG! like this.